FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hippocracy at work now including the miracle phone

Author Topic: Hippocracy at work now including the miracle phone
andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
I work in a call center for a cellular service provided (but I'm not telling who). Tonight, during my job, I got a call from a woman who was upset about pictures she had taken with her camera phone. She wants to print them out. OK, fine, sure, we do this kind of thing all the time. So I give her instructions on how to upload the pictures from her phone to the website so that she can email or print them, whatever floats her boat. [Roll Eyes]

Then she starts screaming about how she doesn't want to use a computer because they are of the mark of the beast and she refuses to own one. [Eek!] She wants to take the phone to Wal Mart and have them print the pictures.

Now, I can't say this because the Quality Monitors might be listening and I don't want to get a bad score but here's what I'm thinking. You aren't willing to use a computer because computers are evil. But you will use a cell phone, which uses computer processors and microchips, you are willing to let the Wal Mart employee use a computer to print your pictures, your cell phone is connected to a computer network all the time, and you have just called a call center, where I use a computer for 7.5 hours per day.

Am I the only one who sees the hippocracy of the argument? [Wall Bash]

[ September 01, 2005, 10:17 PM: Message edited by: andi330 ]

Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
Simply put:

no.

:-D

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
A government of hippos?
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Never put down to hypocrisy what can be explained by simple ignorance.

If she sincerely doesn't understand that "computers" are used in all those things, then she's not insincere in her beliefs.

And, yes, I've met people that ignorant.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

She didn't strike me as ignorant from the conversation. She also spoke of the computer at Wal Mart and called it a computer. *sigh* Perhaps later I'll tell you all about the man with the Miracle Phone.
Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
You should've told her to just dial *666 on her phone and it'll all work out.
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

quote:
Originally posted by Bob_Scopatz:
You should've told her to just dial *666 on her phone and it'll all work out.

[Laugh] [ROFL]
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
Y'know, I'd tell you to have her call my brother, he has his cell phone number end in 0666...

But I like even more how he was born in a hospital with a phone number as 666-2800.

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
There is a large law firm in our city whose phone number ends in 666.
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

And now your name is on the list, MT. [Evil]
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
Wolfram and Hart has many branches. Right Dag?
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

I don't know what you're talking about. *whistles nonchalantly*
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by andi330:
Perhaps later I'll tell you all about the man with the Miracle Phone.

Is it "later" yet?
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

Ok, it's later.

It was actually almost a year ago that I took this call, but some things just imprint on your memory.

First, let me tell you that, when you answer phones for a living you hear a lot of stupidity. Eventually, if you get too many stupid calls in one day, everthing sounds stupid. This guy filled my stupidity cup to overflowing.

I took a call from a woman who was upset because her phone would not work. It wouldn't power on or make calls. We can't actually troubleshoot this problem from a call center so I advised her to take the phone to a local store and have a technician check it over. She already had. "He said it needs a battery. But it never had one before." [Roll Eyes]

And thus it begins.

Now, I have looked over the customer's account. They have been using the phone for 10 months with no complaint, which of course means it did have a battery at some point. When I point this out to the customer, she tells me to speak to her husband. So begins the tag team argument with each spouse handing the phone to the other and asking me to explain it to them. I eventually end up with the husband, who tells me that he is "a God fearing man and wouldn't lie." [Cry]

When I refuse to send the battery free like they want me to, they ask to speak to my supervisor. She tells them that a phone working for 10 months without a battery is like Jesus turning the water into wine--a miracle! He hangs up, and I think to myself that it's another 30 minutes of my life that I can never have back.
[Wall Bash]

Twenty minutes later my supervisor got an email from another rep. The guy's daughter dropped the phone the night before, the battery fell out and she was scared to tell them.

andi330
Member # 8572

[Party]
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey! MY home phone number ends in 666.

It doesn't MEAN anything.

Or does it? [Evil Laugh]

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Another Festivus Miracle!
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Andi, I've done CS for a pretty long time, talked to a lot of dumb customers and heard a lot of other rep's stories about dumb customers. Yours is still a really great one!

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

Thanks!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.