FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Why the next time I eat out it will be at Outback steakhouse

Author Topic: Why the next time I eat out it will be at Outback steakhouse
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
This is why

They are feeding the rescuers. Not only that, but my father tells me that when he was serving at Kandahar Air Base, Outback sent people and food over and cooked for the soldiers.

I never heard anything about it. I never knew they did it, but apparently they do this type of thing regularly.

It's nice to see that they do it, and then don't turn around and run commercials touting their wonderfulness to the world.

I'm sure there are many other corporations and companies doing similar things we never hear about because they do them for the right reasons - not for publicity or because their PR manager told them it was a good idea. If you know of any others, please list them.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I, too, find it wonderful that I've never seen a commercial advertising that Outback does things like this.

It shows they're indeed involved for the right reasons.

Which is exactly what you said, I know, but I feel the same. [Smile]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
JCPenney is matching all employee donations to the NO disaster fund.

Think about how many employees a company like JCPenney has, and you get a good idea how much they are shelling out for that. On top of being one of the top contributers to the United Way each year, with payroll deductions from employees and corporate donations...

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Alabama's football opener is tonight, and of course, this is a school with rabid fans. The athletic director sent an email asking any Alabama fan travelling to the area for the game to please give up their hotel rooms if they were needed for evacuees. From my understanding of local news stories, many fans did exactly that.

Alabama is also sending $1 for every ticket sold for the game this week to the Red Cross.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
NFL Running Back Warrick Dunn donated $5000 personally to Katrina Relief and challenged all other NFL players to join him. It's easy to say that that is pockect change for him, but that's still a significant chunk of change. If all active NFL players join him it will be nearly 8.5 million dollars, over 8 times what the league donated. To my knowledge this has not been highly publicized either.
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalD
Member # 6222

- posted      Profile for GaalD   Email GaalD         Edit/Delete Post 
If all major athletes of all the major sports donated what would be pocket change for them (which is probably more than $5000 for most) then most of the victims would probably have more money now than they did before the hurricane.
Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bunbun
Member # 6814

- posted      Profile for bunbun   Email bunbun         Edit/Delete Post 
So I'm going to JCPenney to buy a sweater that I will wear at the steak dinners we get at Outback before rooting for Atlanta and UAB.

This is truly awesome to hear about.

Posts: 516 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
The reason I eat at Outback Steakhouse is because the food is darn good.
Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Virginia is letting 100 students who would have been in Tulane attend this semester free. I mentioned it already, but it's pretty cool.

The other public colleges in Virginia are doing something similar - as are many other schools throughout the country.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Treason
Member # 7587

- posted      Profile for Treason   Email Treason         Edit/Delete Post 
Eb Games is matching all donations until the total reaches $50,000.
So go donate at EB! (I am so proud of my company!)

Posts: 870 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
My company is also matching employee donations to the hurricane relief. That's why I made my donation through my company.

Can I plug them? Bayada Nurses, Mark Baiada, CEO, Founder, and Good Guy.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bunbun
Member # 6814

- posted      Profile for bunbun   Email bunbun         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
On Thursday night, I went on a date with this girl who goes to Columbia law and was very annoyed about that [Mad]
Wow. Wow! I guess you won't be looking her up any time soon. [Eek!]
Posts: 516 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
The Something Awful forums apparently raised over 20,000 dollars before paypal shut down their account, probably because naysaying jerks reported it for no reason.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
Jaime, I think you mixed up the number of atheletes with the number of people affected by this storm.
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
From what I've been reading on professional society lists for music, all sorts of schools are enrolling students of schools in New Orleans and Mississippi. Columbia is the first really big name that I've seen, though.
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, most colleges I know have made this offer, including my own. The cynical part of me notes that it doesn't cost them much money and is likely to turn a long-term profit.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dabbler
Member # 6443

- posted      Profile for dabbler   Email dabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Brown's offering a semester for anyone in the affected universities who has a sibling enrolled (or presumably ever enrolled) at Brown. I assume this helps them bypass doing applications for students, and only have a reasonable number of transfers.
Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Well, my illusions were shattered. Wes told me that Outback actually gets paid by FEMA, it's part of an agreement they have to provide catering.

However, he said still be proud of what they're doing - there are lots of groups down there, and Outback is doing the finest job. Their people are pretty much cooking day and night and serving them not only hot food, but good hot food. From what he knows of the way FEMA works, he doubts the money Outback receives will actually compensate them for all they do.

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
It is definitely an additional responsibility that Outback takes on, even if they are reimbirsed. And, as you said, whether that is monetarily adequate reimbrsement is another question.

Plus, they serve baked sweet potatoes with brown sugar at Outback! [Smile]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
The Shedd Aquarium in Chicago is donating a dollar from every ticket sold to disaster relief.
Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.