FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Get to know New Orleans: Films that introduce you to the culture.

Author Topic: Get to know New Orleans: Films that introduce you to the culture.
CStroman
Member # 6872

- posted      Profile for CStroman   Email CStroman         Edit/Delete Post 
After I returned from one of my two trips to NO this year I was intrigued about what I saw and it's oddities. So I picked a couple of films out that dealt with New Orleans. One that I encourage alot of people to watch is:

Love Song for Bobby Long

As a warning, it is Rated R and has some strong language and some partial side nudity, but is VERY, VERY good for showing you the side of New Orleans that is suffering the most. Take special note of the lifestyle and the residences, etc.

Posts: 1533 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnsonweed
Member # 8114

- posted      Profile for johnsonweed           Edit/Delete Post 
I would recommend The Big Easy (same warnings as above).
Posts: 514 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
What about Live and Let Die? Not only is it possibly the most awesomely bad Bond movie ever made, and a wittier and more hilarious parody of itself than any of the Austin Powers movies, but a great deal of it was filmed in Louisiana. '70s bayou culture at its most unique. And a boat chase scene that makes The Transporter 2 look like Raiders of the Lost Ark.
Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

Wasn't Down By Law set around that area? If a combination of Tom Waits, Roberto Benigni and Jim Jarmusch isn't good enough for you, your standards are too high.
Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

Part of Easy Rider was set in Louisiana. It's been too long for me to remember how much, or how accurately it represented the culture, though.
Speed
Member # 5162

What about Interview with the Vampire? I've never seen it, but I know that at least the Sting song based on it talked a lot about New Orleans, and I thought the movie was based there.
Speed
Member # 5162

Don't forget King Creole. If the city's good enough for Elvis, it can't be bad, eh?
Avadaru
Member # 3026

- posted      Profile for Avadaru   Email Avadaru         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What about Interview with the Vampire?
The movie was filmed there, but aside from some parts set on plantations, there isn't much about the actual culture of New Orleans.
Posts: 1225 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

STELLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!! .
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Word, Speed. [Big Grin]
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

Another unintentional but hilarious comedy, The Pelican Brief.
Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
Undercover Blues. Just a comedy, but it takes place in NO and I love it.
Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

Hiya, Morty!

edit: Oooh, you beat me to it.

Speed
Member # 5162

It was only a short bit, but one of the most hilarious segments of The Rutles was set around New Orleans.
Speed
Member # 5162

If you ever get a chance to see the MST3K version of Boggy Creek II, you'll have all the bayou culture you can stand.
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
It's been years since I've seen it, and I don't remember whether it's actually set in New Orleans, but Eve's Bayou is a great movie set in Louisiana. I think it has Cajun/voodoo culture in it (but like I said, it's been years.).
Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.