FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Advice on Chicken Parmesan without Breading

Author Topic: Advice on Chicken Parmesan without Breading
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I've got boneless skinless chicken breasts I'd like to make Chicken Parmesan out of.

I would like to not bread them, but I would also not to like dry them out. So here's my thought.

1. Pound them flat.
2. Season them.
3. Saute with a little oil in a non-stick pan.
4. Cover with sauce (already heated).
5. Cover with cheese.
6. Broil just to melt the cheese.

Would this work? If I do it this way, I should cook them all the way through on the stove, right?

If anyone else has a different method they've used before, I'll take it. This is just the best I could come up with.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I have done that, or close to it...the main problem wiht tat is the chicken doesn't pick up a lot of the
flavor from the sauce that way. It does work, though, it just isn't as flavorful IMO.

Have you ever tried a slow cooker? Simmer it right in the sauce slowly, and then pull the chicken out and cover with cheese, and serve as usual. That way it picks up a ton of flavor, but is not breaded and it cooks all the way through.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Sounds good. I will definitely try it next time.

But I don't think Eve will go for it for dinner tonight. [Smile]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
What about marinating it the night before in some sort of sauce?
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

I could toss a can of V8 in the bag with the spiced chicken for a half hour or so.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Healthy and yummy.

Sounds like a good combination.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Chicken breasts without breading
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

This thread is making me hungry. I'm glad I didn't have to work tonight or I'd have to stare at the Chicken Parm coming in and out of the window all night long.

Best Parm Dinner I've ever had.

romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Brown it to seal in the juices, then it is less likely to dry out.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I would season it with a rub, sear it, then season it again before saucing it. And remember if you just sear it to lock in the flavor instead of pan-cooking it that it's going to need to get to the appropriate internal temperature before you eat it-- use a themometer and bake it to melt the cheese instead of broiling it to make sure you cook it all the way through.

Alternatively, you could poach it and then season it before covering with sauce and broiling to melt the cheese.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
I did the saute thing - a little oil in a very hot pan. It cooked all the way through and was nice and golden brown - totally sealed. The key was to yank it off the pan at exactly the right moment. Then I just made sure to totally cover it with sauce. It was quite moist after broiling to melt the cheese.

It was quite good. I used sage, thyme, garlic, onion powder, and black pepper to season it.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Next time you do it, I've thought of another way that doesn't even involve oil.

Don't pound the chicken; leave it whole (well, whole servings, not whole breasts-- chicken breast halves is what we use for this.) Rub with seasoning (my mom and I like just plain garlic powder) and broil about 3-5 minutes on each side. It's even good alone, and the outside gets crisp while the inside stays moist without adding any extra fat at all. We eat it with steamed rice and microwave-steamed broccoli, for a tasty, healthy meal. [Smile]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Mmmmmm. Sounds good.
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
When we make veal parmigiana, we seal the veal *very* briefly then layer in a pan: thin layer of sauce, veal, prosciutto, the rest of the sauce, cheese.

Then we bake it for about 1/2 an hour or so. The veal never dries out, picks up a lot of flavour and the prosciutto just adds a bit more zing.

I'm sure you could substitute chicken breast without any issues.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

Oh, and adding leeks to the sauce makes it extra yummy.

[Smile]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by romanylass:

Since this is the first post to mention this technique, I'll quote it.

This is a myth. Sautéing does absolutely nothing for "sealing in juices." The reason people do it is to add flavor to the meat.

Read This

From the article:
quote:
Browning, also known as the Maillard reaction, is caused when you heat sugars and amino acids together. This reaction occurs in meats heated to temperature between 300 and 500 degrees F. This reaction is what causes that very flavorful and wonderful crusty surface in meat that gives it that great, grilled flavor. Without this browning a steak just isn’t right. So to get a great browned piece of meat you need to cook it at temperatures above 300 degrees F.
Also:
quote:
So what is searing? By definition, searing is to cook something hot and fast to brown the surface and to seal in the juices. Yet many of the leading cooking experts agree that searing does not seal in juices. Frankly the idea that you can somehow melt the surface of the meat into a material that holds in all the juices seems a little strange to me. But whether you believe searing seals in juices or not, a great cut of meat needs hot, dry heat to caramelize or brown the surface to give it that great flavor. If searing seals in moisture all the better.
Browning meat is also useful in that it creates a layer of crust that keeps meat together (think: stews). If you've ever made stew with meat just tossed into the pot to cook, you'll know what I mean.

So, really, the key to making your boneless, skinless chicken breasts moist is just the right temperature and time spent cooking. That comes with experience, or a good recipe. Though, really, experience is best as everyone's stove, cookware and ovens are different.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
*whew!* Thank you! I thought I was crazy for thinking that that just did not make sense!

I'm sane again! Yay!

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

Yeah, and browning makes it look nicer too.

So, guess what we're having for dinner tonight?

Yup, the veal parmigiana. I just couldn't stop thinking about it. [Smile]

I've bought some bocconcini as well, which I'm going to put in a layer over the prosciutto. And leek for the sauce, plus lots of basil from our garden.

Yummmmy yumm yum yum.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I don't know why, but on a nice thick cut of meat (such as a chicken breast or a steak) searing does indeed result in a less-dry end product.
CStroman
Member # 6872

- posted      Profile for CStroman   Email CStroman         Edit/Delete Post 
Mmmmmm! Chicken Parmesan. I'll be right over.
Posts: 1533 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
I don't know why, but on a nice thick cut of meat (such as a chicken breast or a steak) searing does indeed result in a less-dry end product.

I disagree. I believe that cooking the meat properly results in a "less-dry end product." You're really just cooking it quickly enough that the juices in the meat don't have a chance to completely evaporate. It's more a matter of time spent on the stovetop or grill than of searing meat.

I could take two boneless, skinless chicken breasts and "sear" one and blanch the other and they'd both be just as moist. The seared breast would just taste better and be more pleasing to the eye.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

See, I like my beef extra-well-done. I sear it first, then roast it. It does indeed stay moister than if I broil, grill, or pan-cook it the whole time.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.