FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hey Tatiana - Call for Engineers Interested in Martian Settlement and Mining

Author Topic: Hey Tatiana - Call for Engineers Interested in Martian Settlement and Mining
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought that this might be something you'd be interested in looking into.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooooh!

I wanna colonize Mars! And they only require a BS! I'm in.

It should be pretty easy to establish a power generation/distribution system on Mars, right?

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't tell if it's serious or what.....
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it is, but I'm not sure how.

Isn't putting a settlement on Mars NASA's purview? And where else would they get the money, if not from a government?

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Themselves, I suspect.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
They could sell rocks from Mars
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

That's a lot of money for an individual to come up with. Especially since I can't see how they could turn a profit from a venture like this.

The reason I say a government would have to fund something like this is because, initially, there's no money to be made from going to Mars. If we find a ton of usable minerals easily accessible, and a cheap way to mine and transport them, then maybe it's a business decision. But for now, a settlement on Mars is strictly just so we can say we did it.

Since I can't imagine a Venture Capitalist group funding this, and it's too much money for an individual to come up with (unless they're just starting out planning, not developing), I wonder how it would be financed.

Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe they're thinking in the very, very long term? Looking around the site a bit I could see them maybe making money on the consulting aspect: Set themselves up as the mars-colonization "experts" and sell advice and technology to the government that actually tries to have a go at it. Still seems pretty flimsy, though.

Besides, everyone knows there's no money in mars or moon colonies because they invariably declare independance and have a war against the founding corporation. Duh!

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
This sounds like the beginning of a Michael Crichton novel.

/just sayin'

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
It looks great! I wonder where they are getting their money. Is it all venture capital? Definitely their list of people looks impressive. I will talk to them.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
“I have a message for RCG's (recent college graduates) currently looking for a career and even those already working. There is a choice to make in both your career and life. You can go with a large corporation, give up some of your freedom and most of your dreams. Or, if you have freedom in your heart, courage to face the unknown, and discipline to deliver, contact us at 4Frontiers.com. Perhaps we can realize our dreams together.”
I wonder if the unspoken message is that you can either give up your dreams and work for a big corporation, or give up a salary or security and go work for them. [Wink]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

My salary sucks anyway, I'd do it.
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Okay I sent them a resume and other information. I hope I hear from them. It sounds like a great place to work!
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Porter, I'm sure that's part of the implication. [Smile] I'm half expecting them to tell me it's a volunteer position.
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think it is serious...Propulsion blah as a skill set? [Big Grin]

EMT AND MD? lol..

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Despite some tongue in cheek language in the "desired skillsets for future positions" area of the site, I think they're serious. They have a number of ways that they hope to generate money for their program, according to an article about them in today's issue of Wired.

One, which I don't personally think sounds like a huge money maker, is to create a full scale mock up of the martian base they're wanting to build, and try to to attract tourists to it. Another, which seems more promising to me, is to develop and patent technologies, and use the money generated from these patents to fund their program.

In any case, when I read about this you were the first person I thought of, Tatiana. Let us know what you hear back from them.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

I was rather skeptical too, mainly because I don't see how they could actually earn any money nearterm. But the list of their people, along with brief resumes, convinced me it was real. They are impressive. I know there are plenty of engineers and scientists who have space exploration and colonization as their dream, so I am guessing the job pays little. What really matters, though, more than money, is if they know what they are doing, or if they're just wasting time and resources. If they're a real company focused on a real bottom line then it might be a joy to work for them.

Then the thing that always happens is.... if they are any good, they'll be able to pay a decent salary. So we shall see.

Noemon, thanks for the heads up on this. I'll let you know if they respond. [Smile]

Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
Tatiana, what kind of engineering do you do? I'm an engineering student right now, so I'm exploring the fields.
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

I'm electrical. What kinds are you thinking of?
chel
Member # 7674

- posted      Profile for chel   Email chel         Edit/Delete Post 
This 4Frontiers thing sounds awesome. Too bad I'm still in University. Unless they take co-op students I'm just going to have to wait a couple years.(sigh) [Frown]
Posts: 90 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

I emailed the guy and he responded this morning. They sound for real. I'm gonna update my resume, I think.
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
They should open a space for someone to plan out the city. Then I could go with you!
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

quote:
Originally posted by Tatiana:
I'm electrical. What kinds are you thinking of?

Well, my major is Engineering Physics. It requires a relatively broad physics/math/engineering background and then lets the studen design a series of courses around a specific topic. I'm hoping to be able to concentrate on renewable/alternative energy sources. I just started my sophmore year, so I haven't quite gotten that far, yet.
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

That's a cool major (although I wonder what the difference b/tw engineering physics and regular engineer is, physics-wise. I took a ton of physics.).

The renewable/alt energy sources would be an awesome specialization.

*is angry at self for not doing more cool stuff when he had the chance*

Miro
Member # 1178

If you're really curious, here is a list of the courses required for the major. It comes out to 26 credits in the physics department. That's basically 7 classes. (Edit: I just realized the outline is out of date. This one is correct.)

I really want to do a year abroad here. Who knows, it may yet happen. [Big Grin]

[ September 09, 2005, 11:27 PM: Message edited by: Miro ]

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

Yeah, I took all of those classes, but at my school two of them were EE classes.
Tatiana
Member # 6776

That sounds like a neat major. You have so many electives! That's awesome! Through sophomore year it's almost identical to my EE requirements.

I happen to love physics, so that sounds like a really sweet setup to me. I went with the fields track of EE since it was more theoretical and closer to physics than many of the other EE specialties. Mostly because I liked the teachers, though. I had planned to do the digital track, but the teachers weren't as good, as it turned out, at my school. Good teachers mean everything to me. I get so much more excited and motivated about the work when I have good teachers, you know?

If I go back to grad school to get my PhD, as I'm hoping to be able to do in a year or two, I will study something totally different, though. I'm wanting to do animal husbandry. [Smile] I had better get busy and learn as much as I can on my own in the meantime so I will qualify.

Eventually I want to do third world development projects, and teach interdisciplinary courses on averting human extinction. I hope I can be a good teacher, so people will be motivated and excited about my classes. [Smile]

Miro
Member # 1178

quote:
Eventually I want to do third world development projects, and teach interdisciplinary courses on averting human extinction.

Wow. That's quite a task. Will this be before or after you go to Mars? [Smile]
Tatiana
Member # 6776

I don't see myself being able to go to Mars personally. I'd just like to work on the projects. By the time we actually send a colony ship, I may be ready to retire, though.

But as for the third world development projects, there are a lot of very interesting things going on. My favorites are the ones that develop appropriate technology that can be manufactured, repaired, and sold by local people, and bought for not much capital. This company called International Development Enterprises has some great products they are using to establish entrepreneurs in third world countries, to make and sell these to local people. I also wrote to them about working for them.

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It sounds like a great place to work!

Quite a commute, though.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boothby171
Member # 807

- posted      Profile for Boothby171   Email Boothby171         Edit/Delete Post 
I figure I'll be applying, myself.

Gotta leverage that aerospace presentation somehow!

Posts: 1862 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.