FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Now lets blame Texas (Totally unsupported complaint)

Author Topic: Now lets blame Texas (Totally unsupported complaint)
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
While talking to a woman deeply involved in the refugee acceptance programs in St. Louis, she had a complaint against Texas.

Texas has made a good name for itself by accepting thousands and thousands of refuge's and putting them in mass shelters like the Astrodome.

Her complaint was that the politicians in Texas were working hard to discourage average citizens and NGO's from taking in the refuge's. Why? Because if they were able to coral and control most of them, they would be able to rake in most of the FEMA money in the pipeline.

While the Texas legislature is not high on my, "Trust with my life" list, and indeed barely squeeks past Chicago politicians, I don't believe this is the case.

So I am asking my Jatraquero Google Experts, or Texas Clumpers to see if they can find anything on this rumor.

If it is a rumor I want to see it crushed quickly.

If its not, I'd like to know.

PS. St. Louis and its people have done some special things. One Assisted Living organization is taking in 10 New Orleans elder residents, for life. Our school districts are promising class rooms to any refuge. It is a great place.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
The following is directed to whomever started the rumors - not DR, of course

No good deed goes unpunished. Oh yeah - Texas is accepting 100,000 refugees, guaranteeing food stamps for months for all of them, and spending all these resources just in order to soak FEMA. It's all planned, really. Texas even read the SciAm article and scooted closer to New Orleans for just this purpose.

Sheesh. People suck sometimes.

For the record, I have heard nothing like what she was saying. I don't know how to disprove a rumor - it's up to her to support. It's utter nonsense.

And the people I know from New Orleans are all staying with private citizens.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Texas even read the SciAm article and scooted closer to New Orleans for just this purpose.
[ROFL]

The visual imagery of this is precious.

Personally, I think we should blame the whafferflaffel on planet Xnovorox 300 gajillion light years away for flapping his narvox at the unappointed time.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foundling
Member # 6348

- posted      Profile for foundling   Email foundling         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I bet you Texas even had divers down there for years undermining the levees, brick by... umm...brick. Sneaky little bastards.
Posts: 499 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh good grief!!! That charge isn't even as credible as Texas scooting closer to NewOrleans.
The Mayor of Houston, the Governor of Texas, and darn near every other major elected executive in Texas have been constantly on-the-air asking fellow Texans to open up their own homes to refugees.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalD
Member # 6222

- posted      Profile for GaalD   Email GaalD         Edit/Delete Post 
"Oh good grief!!! The Mayor of Houston, the Governor of Texas, and darn near every other major elected executive in Texas have been constantly on-the-air asking fellow Texans to open up their own homes to refugees."

Wow. First they don't allow any of the refugees into homes so they can soak up all of FEMAs money themselves. Now, after they took all of FEMAs money, they want to get rid of the refugees into people's homes. Unbelievable. *Shakes head sadly at what the world is coming to*

Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
*snorts*

Next thing you know, they'll be putting people in the zoo to make them earn their keep if they want to stay in TX! You know, like London! [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Next thing you know, they'll be putting people in the zoo to make them earn their keep if they want to stay in TX!
Heck no! Then we can't have the FEMA money!

In all seriousness, I live in central Texas and I can tell you that we are welcoming the refugees with open arms. Churches and schools in the area are banding together to donate items and money for the shelters popping up everywhere. My underpriviledged students have raised over $400 in three days that we are donating to the Red Cross. The donation sites are so full of items that they have asked Austinites to hold off on donating anything else until they can get it distributed. The response has been overwhelming. So the people knocking Texas and our lack of effort can just bite me!

Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I remember Anne Rice complaining that the rest of America was so self-righteous that when N.O. was in trouble, we all called it Sin City and turned our backs on the residents. That's the sort of gratitude she gave for the unprecedented outpouring of charity from all over the country.

And then there was the unknown source of the rumor that President Bush (not the mayor of N.O.) ordered residents brought to the Super Dome...and that the purpose was so he could have them gassed to death.

People will say anything.

Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Wait . . . I thought we were blaming Canada?

-o-

I never heard the gassing rumor before reading it here.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Me either.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

- posted      Profile for scottneb           Edit/Delete Post 
I was gassed by the government.

Seriously!

Posts: 1660 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been aghast at the government, but never gassed by the government.
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Texas even read the SciAm article and scooted closer to New Orleans for just this purpose.
I'd just like to re-emphasize how funny this is.

Rumors, however, are not funny. [No No]

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
I think Anne Rice said quite a bit more than just the comment about self-righteousness and back-turning. And at the time it was said, I am sure it felt that way to all the frightened people stuck on rooftops, in the superdome, clinging to car tops.

She also spoke quite eloquently about NO's character, history, and people - particularly black people. Probably to help inform and correct certain "impressions" based on the actions of a few -

linky to article by Anne Rice for refresher reading

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tern
Member # 7429

- posted      Profile for tern   Email tern         Edit/Delete Post 
My law school in Houston is asking students to open their apartments to Loyola law students. I'm not sure how many are doing it - I'm in no position - but there is a lot of private citizens helping out.

I could have sworn that Vegas was Sin City...but maybe that stayed in Vegas.

Posts: 561 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.