FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » We've got a bunny problem. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: We've got a bunny problem.
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
o_O

I've had buffalo, deer and ostrich. I really like all three, but ostrich is hard to prepare.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
What's so hard about it? I've been wanting to buy some.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Bunnies aren't just cute like everybody supposes.
They’ve got them hoppy legs and twitchy little noses.
And what’s with all the carrots?
What do they need such good eyesight for anyway?
Bunnies!
Bunnies! It must be bunnies!
(Or maybe midgets...)
-—Anya on Buffy’s Once More with Feeling musical episode

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
GAH!

One came back!

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
JTK,

Could you throw down a weighted swath of some kind of cloth, like berlap, and create a gradual ramp by pinning the top half of the cloth to the ground above?

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Bunnies are pets.

Rabbits are dinner.

A stew pot or a frying pan would fix your problem.

[Razz]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
Why don't you cover up the entrance?
Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

After you get the bunny that returned back out of course.
Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm actually amazed that you haven't put up a window well cover before. Doesn't the well fill with trash and leaves and yard debris?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
I'm actually amazed that you haven't put up a window well cover before. Doesn't the well fill with trash and leaves and yard debris?

And rabbits?
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so happy I'm not the only person who's first thought was "Anya!" When they saw this thread title.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
mph-ostrich has very, very little fat. So little that it's very easily overdone and should only be cooked rare (or medium rare, I can't remember). Cooked right, it's very good.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Opening the window from down here is out of the question right now, as I'm fairly certain that the bunny will jump past me and run free in the house
Well, this certainly would have been MY option to take. Although I would be prepared so it couldn't get past me.

But either way, glad you got it out, JTK.

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
Wild rabbit (desert cottontail) is generally too gamey for my taste, although soaking the meat in a salt or vinegar solution helps significantly. Domestic rabbit is wonderfully tasty, especially the back portions. If this had happened to me, I would have used the opportunity to add two more rabbits to the freezer.

Speaking of rabbits, I think I'm the only person in the world who couldn't get the stupid things to breed. We got a male and a female, with the intent to breed them for meat. Yes, they really were male and female, I checked. I bred them four or five times, and she never got pregnant. She also was the foulest-tempered rabbit I've ever seen. She is now in the freezer and the male is a pet. I would buy another female, but at this point it isn't worth it because we will be moving next summer. Besides, there are plenty of rabbits for the hunting right outside the door.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]

Planning on neutering that male? If you don't he'll tear up the house... That's what rabbits do when they are adolecents. They go insane.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
He's not allowed out of his cage without supervision. He's not much of a pet, but we're too attached to eat him at this point. The female was so vicious that that was not a problem.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
It happened again. [Grumble]

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm surprised no has has connected the poster's name and the thread title and made the appropriate "Star Trek" tribble reference.
Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
How about you buy a cover for the access hole? They make those, y'know. Btw, aren't those required to have some sort of ladder? There's no need to release heat that way. Typically, they are for basement escapes in the event of a fire.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
steven, I thought it was *too* obvious and refrained when this came up the last time round.
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Every 18 months isn't terribly frequent. Gonna make stew this time?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I've had rabbit since last time I posted in this thread. It was very tasty.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

Even some kind of chicken wire over the hole...
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I know what the mph&bev family's next animal additions will be. [Wink]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

There's a good chance. My BIL has been trying to get me into rabbits for a while now.
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

I'm thinking about installing hanging rabbit cages in our garage this fall. It would be nice to add another kind of meat to our freezer. At this point we're only looking at having chicken, turkey, and goat, with no beef or pork until next year. Rabbit would help broaden the menus.

Although, after this thread, maybe I'll just dig a pit in the backyard and catch all the neighborhood bunnies. Kind of like a mammoth pit, only...smaller.

--Mel

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Our cats keep coming home with dead bunnies that they've killed. It's annoying.
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
All this made me think of was that Mitch Hedberg joke: My apartment is infested with koala bears. It's the cutest infestation ever. Way better than cockroaches. When I turn on the light, a bunch of koala bears scatter, but I don't want them too. I'm like, "Hey... Hold on fellows... Let me hold one of you, and feed you a leaf." Koala bears are so cute, why do they have to be so far away from me. We need to ship a few over, so I can hold one, and pat it on its head.
Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Ahhumnn

Cough, Cough

[No No]

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds to me like you have a free rabbit cage already installed. Toss some food and water down there, and when you want to let him into the house to play around, open the window.
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:

Yeah, wasted meat.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:

Yeah, wasted meat.
[Cry] [No No]
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
-_-
I got to stop reading this thread.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
!@#$% rabbits ate all the green bean plants in my garden last night [Mad] They already ate all the pea seedlings a few weeks ago, I thought maybe they were done destroying my legumes, but noooo. Heck, they're not even bothering to run away from me anymore; one of them was lounging just a few feet from the edge of the garden while I was weeding the other day, totally unconcerned, looking like it was thinking "Oh, the monkey servant has emerged to tidy up our free buffet area, how nice." Wretched little buggers.
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Stray:
!@#$% rabbits ate all the green bean plants in my garden last night [Mad] They already ate all the pea seedlings a few weeks ago, I thought maybe they were done destroying my legumes, but noooo. Heck, they're not even bothering to run away from me anymore; one of them was lounging just a few feet from the edge of the garden while I was weeding the other day, totally unconcerned, looking like it was thinking "Oh, the monkey servant has emerged to tidy up our free buffet area, how nice." Wretched little buggers.

[ROFL]
Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
jtk -- did you get it out this last time? Have you tried a screen or something over the area where they are falling into the window well?
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega M.
Member # 7924

- posted      Profile for Omega M.           Edit/Delete Post 
Can't you do what you did the last time to get the rabbit out?

(PS: I've eaten rabbit and thought it was fine, but I think ostriches are too unique-looking to eat. Maybe if I knew they came from an area overpopulated with ostriches I'd try one.)

Posts: 781 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by James Tiberius Kirk:

--j_k

Have you considered installing a screen so the bunnies can't fall down anymore?

MPH: You think THAT'S annoying, try having a dog that brings home disembolwed cats that she has killed and mangled.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

quote:
Originally posted by Stray:

Rabbits do that...
You should see what Bernie does when I have an apple in my bag. [Mad]
Rabbits have no manners.

BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
quote:
Originally posted by James Tiberius Kirk:

--j_k

Have you considered installing a screen so the bunnies can't fall down anymore?

MPH: You think THAT'S annoying, try having a dog that brings home disembolwed cats that she has killed and mangled.

Oy! I just almost lost my lunch, and I haven't even HAD lunch yet!
Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hitoshi
Member # 8218

- posted      Profile for Hitoshi   Email Hitoshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Fyfe:
In the words of the immortal Mitch Hedberg, It's the cutest infestation ever.

[ROFL] It's true, I've always wanted to hug a bunny. I'd never have the heart to run one out if it was in my garden.

As for advice. I would either give the "capture box" one more go or make a ramp or set of stairs for him to use.

Posts: 208 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Altáriël of Dorthonion:
I suggest we eat him with taters instead. Did anyone jot down the reciepe from Sam?

I do not eat rabbit and will probably never again :<

And yes for purposes of this response I am claiming that I am the only Sam :<

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Linky.

(Or, if you're pressed for time, linky.)

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.