FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Tell me about your dog

Author Topic: Tell me about your dog
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
What breed(s) is it? What do you do with it (obedience, running, some really exciting thing, conformation, lounging on the couch, or of course reading compannion)? What kind of dog would you have if you don't have one now or even if you do if you could have whatever you want.

I needed some fluff this is my special fluff

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
If I had one it would be a Rhodisian Ridgeback, and I would take her to obedience classes when she was young, but I wouldn't get involved with showing or anything. I would run with her every morning, and go for walks at night, too. We would play fetch in the dog park, where she could be off-leash. And she would be trained to be a good city dog, who sits down automatically at corners where we're waiting for a green light to cross.

Or maybe one of those pretty gray dogs who's breed starts with a W but I can't figure out how to spell and am too lazy to Google.

But I am allergic to dogs, and too irresponsible, and too selfish, so I won't be getting one any time soon.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Weimaraners!

My dogs have been posted about many places here, so I'll just mention them briefly. Annie is a border collie/beagle mix who is too smart for her own good and can do tons of tricks. Max is a Great Pyrenees mix who is too neurotic for his own good, but we're working on that bit.

Both have had obedience and agility in the past, but at the moment, their main activities are keeping me sane in the midst of my qualifying exams. This activity primarily involves lying on my leg and gazing up at me adoringly while I pet them. [Big Grin]

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
I've always wanted one of those floppy eared bloodhounds.
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
wow I can't spell either, but I know what you mean, at my 4-H animal workshop one of the boys called them Wegmans because the photographer that has them on Sesame Street has one. But Rhodi's are great too, at least the one I've been around.

As a kid my family had Airedale Terriers, we still have the third one, she's almost 12 now. But they were too big for me to ever want to work with so my 8th grade year we adopted a sheltland sheepdog from our local sheltie rescue, he was 22 months old but only weighed 11 pounds when he came in, and 14 less than a month later. Now he's 7 (gasp!), we showed 4-H obedience and showmanship 5 times and agility once, with at least one trophy (first or second place) each year, this year all three. But we're done showing, I told Chance he's retired, and can just have fun herding kids at family reunions.

As an adult I think I want a small terrier, like a Jack Russell, Welsh, or Cairn, those would be my favorites, we would do some obedience training and maybe agility or something if the dog was interested (unlike Chance who just did this stuff to make me happy).

I've volunteered with a low cost spay neuter clinic for about six months, so I've gotten to see lots of different dogs and their behavior.

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Xavier and I have two long hair chihuahuas. Chico, the baby (12 weeks old) is still pretty playful but is learning what it means to be a "lap dog."

The older chi is about 11 years old but often acts like Chico. Her favorite thing to do is snuggle up on the couch with one of us and sleep. She doesn't do much else.

As with most long haired chis, they attract a lot of attention whereever they go, especially when I put Chico in a purse and carry him around the store.

Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

Oh Val that's darling, I could be so easily convinced to get a Yorkie and carry it around in a purse.
Megan
Member # 5290

My mom has three yorkies.

Of the three, only one of them would even tolerate being put in a purse. One of the others is so chunky he'd probably break the purse. [Big Grin]

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, my dog wears a path in the same line
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

We had one at PetsAlive that was 2 pounds (and a year old) that one was too little. But 4 or 5, I could carry in a purse, at least a bit.
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

mr squicky, that post didn't work
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
We have a shih tzu poodle cross. She's just about the perfect dog. She is great with the kids, loves people and is mostly obedient. If I had the time to devote to her training, I think she'd be an incredible therapy dog. She just seems to know when you need some loving, and is almost always there for cuddling. She's also pretty spunky and loves to rough house, but she knows how much to rough house with who...so like she'll be really rough with my husband and son, but very gentle with my daughter, and sort of inbetween with me.

She has three tricks in her repetoire. She rolls over and plays dead, and now (a new trick) she does "squirrel" where she sits up and begs.

We used to have a pure bred Rottweiler, who was the best big dog I've ever been around. Very sweet, she was 90lbs of love. We recently gave her to my mother in law, whose black lab died last spring. She's now being totally, completely spoiled. Strictly an outdoor dog with us, she's now pampered with weekly trips to the groomer. She was clearly loving it when we saw her last.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
My dog is a big, black mutt we rescued about a year ago. She's older and was alreadt spayed, but was running loose in the woods near the elementary school where we used to take the boys to practice riding their bikes. She was all matted and had terrible toenails curving around into her feet.

But she's fine now. We think she's part chow, but not a LOT Chow, because her mouth is all pink inside, not purple. She's very hairy, or was, before I took the scissors to her. Black Dogs have issues with Georgia summers.

She's really sweet with kids, but we think she was mistreated, because she snaps at adults sometimes. We keep her fenced, and muzzle her for leash walks, just to be safe.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avadaru
Member # 3026

- posted      Profile for Avadaru   Email Avadaru         Edit/Delete Post 
My dog is an English Pointer called Oscar Wilde. He'll turn 2 in December. I delivered him and raised him and he's the coolest dog. He's a complete spaz and I've never seen him fail to make someone smile. His favorite activity is springing straight up in the air - he can easily go right over my head. He's very silly most of the time, but extremely obedient - he picks up on words and phrases very quickly, and is so eager to please. Unfortunately he's also really hyper, so when friends come over I have to be strict with him lest he knock them over with zealous over-affection.

Oscar currently has 10 points toward his conformation championship, and once he gains that status I hope to train him for agility and fieldwork. Maybe one day he can become a father, too. [Wink]

I also have another dog, a German Shepherd named Robbie, but she is only staying with me temporarily. My mom just moved to New Orleans (well, she's back in Baton Rouge now....) and wanted a guard dog (she has an elderly Greyhound, but he's not very intimidating) for her new house. I work for a local Shepherd breeder and Robbie has been one of my favorites of hers for a long time, and she agreed to let my mom have her. Unfortunately, in the aftermath of Katrina, my mom has too much on her mind to worry about taking care of another dog, so I've got her for now. She's very good, but I'm having a few issues with housebreaking. She is also a show dog, but has only been to a few shows as of yet.

Posts: 1225 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
My dog is Smokey. She's a chow/golden mix with the chow black tongue and curly tail. Very thick mane, and fur, but she doesn't have the smooshed face like a full chow.

She's a sweet dog, and has only one problem. She hates to see a cat (or any animal she thinks might be a cat -- see "squirrel" e.g.) outside if she is cooped up inside. She goes absolutely bonkers.

We've been slowly breaking her of her other bad habits, thanks to Dana (who is the Mary Poppins of dog step-mothers). Smokey is very bad about pulling when on the leash, but Dana has mostly solved that problem. She also gets upset if someone happens to touch her feet or tail when she's asleep. She kind of wakes up ready to attack, but instantly (really instantly) stops herself. Lately, we seem to have got that problem licked (pardon the pun) too.

So, the last one left is the cat outside vs. dog inside thing. We're working on it. And the guys are coming tomorrow to fix the glass window.

Overall, she's an amazingly good dog. If not too bright. She is just this big goofy thing. She sits there and smiles all the time. Loves kids and will let them do just about anything without even walking away. If they poke her too much, she just goes away and lies down. Such a sweetie.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sharpie
Member # 482

- posted      Profile for Sharpie   Email Sharpie         Edit/Delete Post 
My dog is Curie (Dark Skies Cherry Bomb). She is a basenji from my sister's small kennel. My sister has also been her handler in shows, but Curie is a bit of a dork in the ring. She waltzes around on three legs or waves at my sister playfully. Some dogs love the ring. Curie... not so much.

So we may just "retire" her.

My sister tells me that Curie is a lot like, um, me. She freezes when she's startled, mute and stockstill. She gets spooked by things ordinary basenjis ignore. She's ... bossy.

I love this little dog. [Smile]

Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Our dog Max is a black lab mix. We adopted him from a local humane society, after mucho posting on Hatrack asking what breed of dog would be best. [Big Grin] He turned a year old in April, and our year anniversary of being his family was in August.

Max brings so much to our lives. He has such personality and is wonderful with the kids. He's very well-behaved and incredibly sensitive; raising your voice at him is enough to make him slink off looking terribly upset. He's very calm and usually snoozes most of the day, but he does love to play tug of war with his rope. He also likes to play with pieces of dog food, which is very weird yet funny. He'll bring a piece from his bowl into the living room and start jumping around it and hitting it with his paws. He's also a bit jealous; if Mr. Opera and I try to cuddle he's right there trying to butt in like a toddler who doesn't want their parents to kiss.

space opera

edit: Our various nicknames for Max include: Maxy-Pie, Maximillion Pegasus, Big Black Barker, and Maxy-Pants.

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm really surprised Banna hasn't posted here yet.
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
I have an Anatolian Shepherd/Great Pyrenees cross who is a working livestock guard dog. His name is Phantom. He protects our goats from coyotes and wandering dogs. He also let us know when the back door was left open and the cats were contemplating going out. He barked furiously while staring at the door. Since he rarely barks during the day, we knew something was up.

I've done some obedience work with him, but not as much as I should. My daughter is still a baby, so I can really only work with him when she's asleep or my husband is home. He knows his name, sit, and he'll sit and stay for his food until I tell him he can eat. He'll also stand still for grooming as long as I have him up on the milking stand. I'll probably get more chances to work on his obedience as the weather gets cooler.

We're planning to move next summer, so we hope to transition him to a general family dog, as it will be at least four years until we have any livestock again. Probably the two biggest difficulties we will face will be dog aggression and night-time barking. But he is good-natured and submissive, so I should be able to work through them.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I have two Aussies - Australian shepherd pups that are about 6 months old now.

They don't do anything special, all I've done is basic obedience like "sit" "down" and we're working on "stay." Belle is the smaller of the two, a blue merle. She likes to fetch and play ball. Shadow is the bigger one, she's a black tricolor and fetching, in Shadow's opinion, is for losers. She will only look at you if you throw the ball.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
We have Chelsea, who we got from the pound. She is allegedly a German Shepard cross, but we suspect she was crossed with a dingo.

She digs, jumps, and always finds the highest spot in the yard to sit.

She's also incredibly cute. [Smile]

I would *love* to have a ridgeback. In fact, we are probably going to get another dog to keep Chelsea company during the day now I am working, and will be looking in the ridgeback direction.

We do basic obedience. She sits, drops, rolls over and stays. Of course, she also runs away when she sees another dog (to play with them) and develops short-term deafness to our calls.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
My sis, has a little mutt of a dog that looks like a stunted poodle. I have no clue to what type he is. I just know that he is the most spoiled dog I have ever seen [Smile] . He sleeps a lot.

Ok, so my friend Siren's dog is spoiled too.

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hmm216
Member # 8403

- posted      Profile for Hmm216   Email Hmm216         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a half Dachshund and half Jack Russel, which happens to be the perfect mix. He is very obedient and probably the cutest and funniest dog ever!

He actually knows each family member by name, for example if we say "Oscar, where's Frankie?" he goes to Frankies room.

He knows all his toys by what they are, if we tell him to get his monkey, he brings you his monkey. He has two monster toys one is green and the other is purple and he will actually get the correct color we ask for. It is amazing!

He also knows that when he goes for a car ride it is for one of two reasons. Either he is going to the vet or to the bank. When he first gets in the car he is uncontrollably excited because if he goes to the bank he knows the teller will give him a treat. If we pass the bank he now knows he is going to the vet and starts to cry.

I also have 2 full bred dachshunds, Rusty & Rosie. We just got Rosie, my mom wants to start breeding. I havent gotten to see Rosie yet because my mom just got her this weekend and I am away at college. I have seen pictures though and she is so cute, only 4 lbs.

Posts: 218 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to have an Aussie shepherd mix named Pepper (we thought the other half was probably border collie-something) who we finally had to put to sleep last winter. She had a strong herding instinct (always "herded" my horses, who didn't appreciated it), and she was really smart - I showed her in 4H obediance up to novice level, and one year we actually won the county trophy. But she's now off in doggie heaven. [Smile]

My parents have a Rat Terrier named Colette who just had her first litter of puppies three weeks ago. (My parents are dabbling in the dog-breeding business.) She's absolutely spoiled, and absolutely devoted to my mom - if my mom hugs or kisses anyone or says "I love you" to anyone other than her, she goes nuts! She can be a bit demanding because we think she thinks she's a person, but she's really sweet and loyal...if a bit overly talkative at times. And the puppies are SO cute!! [Big Grin]

And someday, when I have the time/money/space for my own dog, I really want to adopt a greyhound. They're gorgeous dogs with great temperaments, and so many of them get put to sleep when they're retired from racing.

Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arevoj
Member # 7347

- posted      Profile for arevoj   Email arevoj         Edit/Delete Post 
I have four Shar Pei:
Mo is four years and chocolate in color. Auggie, Rue and Vinnie are all four months and are, respectively, cream, fawn, and black in color.
Auggie is nicknamed "phlegm" because he hacks lots. Rue is nicknamed "puddin'" because he is a big lump. Vinnie is nicknamed "worm" because he had a nasty tapeworm for a long while (they were treating him for round worms instead). Mo is turning into the "ornery old man" as he is still a bit shell shocked from all the new young guys around. Mostly all works well, though.
Activities? The pups play ALL of the time; they especially love to jump on your head while you are sleeping or get under the bed and rage a very vocal war very early in the morning. Ah, puppies...

Posts: 142 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avadaru
Member # 3026

- posted      Profile for Avadaru   Email Avadaru         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
They're gorgeous dogs with great temperaments, and so many of them get put to sleep when they're retired from racing.
This is so true. My mom's greyhound is a wonderful dog, and I hate to think of all the dogs that are killed just because they aren't fast enough. [Frown]
Posts: 1225 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fusiachi
Member # 7376

- posted      Profile for Fusiachi   Email Fusiachi         Edit/Delete Post 
Real b1tch. Buried her in the backyard.
Posts: 433 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
You know my dog. She's half golden retriever, half spaniel, a redheaded dog named Tallulah. I love her to pieces. [Smile]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Aw. I had a cat, peach colored, named Tellulah. I loved her to pieces, too. She's gone now. We think someone stole her - she's not the type to go wandering off on her own. I really miss her, and it was a year and a half ago.
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

Oh cool, some of you have some neat dogs, I deffinatly agree Grey Hounds are great, a friend of my mom had one for 8 years, she was so sweet even though she rarely came out of the bedroom when strangers were there.
chel
Member # 7674

- posted      Profile for chel   Email chel         Edit/Delete Post 
My family has a Minpin(if that's how you spell it, never had to write it down before)named Diesel who is really annoying but we forgive her because she is cute and cuddly. We also have a Black Lab Collie cross named Pepsi who chases everything in sight, including the cows which end up running right through the fences.
Posts: 90 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
imogen, I'm glad I know you are in Australia. You see here in the U.S. people hypothesize 'dingo' all the time and convince themselves of it because it sounds exotic, I have to bite my tounge to keep from telling them what I *really* think.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

Or don't you love those wolf crosses AJ? Apparently my neighbor has one (yeah right, he looks mostly collie to me and has very few wolf tendancies at least from the time I went to Wolf Park.)
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Mr. Opera reminded me last night that I forgot Max's most clever nickname of all (of course Mr. Opera came up with it)....

Barkimus Maximus [Cool]

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

We use Barkimus Maximus as well, along with Maximillian, Maxers, and the Great White Bark.
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
My family as three border collies. They're all trained in herding, are highly awarded in flyball, and have a some titles in agility.

I have a bird. If I could have a dog of my own (i live in an apartment with a "no dogs/cats" rule), I'd get a pomeranian. I just want a cute fluffy puppy to sit on my lap while I study.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

Megan, most obviously great minds and cool people think alike. [Big Grin]

space opera

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I have the worlds most scaredy-cat dog.

Background. We have two dogs, both rescued. The older one is a 13 year old Chow with the full black tongue. Like Bob's, he is mellow and friendly unless you are a cat. He once treed a coon, but I don't know which one was less smart. Seems the dog was quite literally barking up the wrong tree. And the raccoon, safely in a tree on the outside of the fence from the dog, stayed up the wrong tree for several hours.

But he is the brave one.

A bit prissy, but brave. By prissy, I mean this dog would rather stand inside in agony, then go outside to water a tree, if rain has left any mud where he would have to walk. He doesn't mind the rain, but won't budge on the mud.

However, we were worried that he was getting lonesome without any companionship while we were at work/school. So recently we went to the APA and brought home a 6 year old beagle.

This is the world's most scared dog.

Last weekend Sasha and I went out back to play with the dogs, and we brought bubbles. I blew a bubble that floated near the beagle (Named Misty). The beagle took off running.

That is right. Our brave hunting dog is scared of bubbles.

We obviously aren't keeping the dogs for home protection.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
human_2.0
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for human_2.0   Email human_2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
My dog is a cat. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1209 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.