FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » what is love? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: what is love?
ShadowPuppet
Member # 8239

- posted      Profile for ShadowPuppet   Email ShadowPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
self explanatory

facts, opinions, anything

just give me some sort of definition

Posts: 83 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so tempted to respond with,

What is love?

quote:
Baby, don't hurt me
Don't hurt me, no more

Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
You think you're in love?
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
:lol:
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
Love is a perky little elf dancing a merry jig, and will unexpectedly turn on you with a miniature machine gun.
Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Some say love, it is a river
That drowns the tender reed....

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
You are sharing a bagel with someone. Do you keep the top half that has all the seeds on it? Or do you give it to that special someone and take the less-seedy bottom half for yourself? If you want the top half, it is not true love. If you would rather see your beloved have the top half -- true love.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Love is destruction.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I do that on a regular basis, though, because it makes people happy when they get want they want [Smile] .
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Love breaks down barriers and destroys the illusions people don't need.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
"1If I speak in the tongues[a] of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames,[b] but have not love, I gain nothing.
4Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

8Love never fails."

1 Corinthians 13:1-8.

That's where I get my definition.

Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Mr. Funny stole my funny.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soara
Member # 6729

- posted      Profile for Soara   Email Soara         Edit/Delete Post 
Love sucks.
Posts: 464 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
I was thinking more along the lines of:

...but a second-hand emotion?

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Love is a nose, but you'd better not pick it...
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
Love is a score of zero in tennis. Nothing more, nothing less.
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
Or, alternately, to quote a Harlan Ellison title, "love ain't nothin' but sex mispelled"
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crotalus
Member # 7339

- posted      Profile for Crotalus   Email Crotalus         Edit/Delete Post 
What are all of y'all talkin' about.

Everybody knows that love is...a battlefield.

We aRe young! Heartache to heartache we stand...

Posts: 232 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Tinros, that made me think of Wedding Crashers.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 5108

- posted      Profile for Avatar300   Email Avatar300         Edit/Delete Post 
"Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath. At night, the ice weasels come." --Matt Groening
Posts: 413 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tt&t
Member # 5600

- posted      Profile for tt&t   Email tt&t         Edit/Delete Post 
Love is Everything.
Posts: 1431 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

- posted      Profile for J T Stryker   Email J T Stryker         Edit/Delete Post 
Love is an ever evolving thing that is different for every single person. Love often comes, and often goes, but every time it is better than the time before, but the time before was true love also.
Posts: 1094 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Sinclair Lewis, in "Elmer Gantry":
quote:
"In the hustle and bustle of daily life I wonder how many of us stop to think that in all that is highest and best we are ruled not by even our most up-and-coming efforts but by Love? What is Loveā€” the divine Love of which theā€”the great singer teaches us in Proverbs? It is the rainbow that comes after the dark cloud. It is the morning star and it is also the evening star, those being, as you all so well know, the brightest stars we know. It shines upon the cradle of the little one and when life has, alas, departed, to come no more, you find it still around the quiet tomb. What is it inspires all great menā€”be they preachers or patriots or great business men? What is it, my brethren, but Love? Ah, it fills the world with melody, with such sacred melodies as we have just indulged in together, for what is music? What, my friends, is music? Ah, what indeed is music but the voice of Love!"

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Of course, Elmer was swiping that bit from Robert Ingersoll, "Speech on Religious Intolerance":
quote:
Love is the only bow on Life's dark cloud. It is the morning and the evening star. It shines upon the babe, and sheds its radiance on the quiet tomb. It is the mother of art, inspirer of poet, patriot and philosopher. It is the air and light of every heartā€” builder of every home, kindler of every fire on every hearth. It was the first to dream of immortality. It fills the world with melodyā€” for music is the voice of love. Love is the magician, the enchanter, that changes worthless things to Joy, and makes royal kings and queens of common clay. It is the perfume of that wondrous flower, the heart, and without that sacred passion, that divine swoon, we are less than beasts; but with it, earth is heaven, and we are gods.

Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Love bites, love bleeds, it's taking me to my knees...
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raventh1
Member # 3750

- posted      Profile for raventh1           Edit/Delete Post 
http://ckjcwf.ytmnd.com/
Posts: 1132 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr.Funny:

What is love?

quote:
Baby, don't hurt me
Don't hurt me, no more

OK, Haddaway... [Big Grin]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avadaru
Member # 3026

- posted      Profile for Avadaru   Email Avadaru         Edit/Delete Post 
On Love

An excerpt from my favorite book: The Prophet, by Kahlil Gibran.

Posts: 1225 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

- posted      Profile for 0range7Penguin           Edit/Delete Post 
Oracle: Do you know what that means?
[points to a banner]
Oracle: It means know thy self. I wanna tell you a little secret, being the one is just like being in love. No one needs to tell you you are in love, you just know it, through and through

All true knowledge can be found in movie quotes.

Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
"Love is when another person's happiness is essential to your own."

-Heinlein (with a possible slight paraphrase, my memory tends to be inexact about these things)

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

"I know what love is cuz I watch talk shows. Love is the end of happiness!" -Danny DeVito (Louie DePalma, Taxi)
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
Greater love hath no man than to give his life for his friends.
- Some Bible verse somewhere

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Mr. Funny, I thought maybe you were going to post HK-47's thoughts on love:

quote:
Definition: 'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope...Love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticule, and together, achieving a singular purpose against statistically long odds.

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Great book Avadaru, I had to read it in AP English in High School. One of the few books I was satisfied with at the end.

And, love is an advanced state of tolerance.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
?
Member # 2319

- posted      Profile for ?   Email ?         Edit/Delete Post 
Lyrics

This is what I thought of.

?

Posts: 219 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Love is what your dog feels for you.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
...Love is not love
Which alters when it alteration finds
Or bends with the remover to remove.
O no! It is an ever-fixed mark
That looks on tempests and is never shaken.
It is the star to every wand'ring bark
Whose worth's unknown, although his height be taken.

(Not sure I agree with all of that, but it's a wonderful poem. [Big Grin] )

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
love is cruel.
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Palliard
Member # 8109

- posted      Profile for Palliard   Email Palliard         Edit/Delete Post 
Love is: when you care about someone else more than you care about you.
Posts: 196 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Love is: when you care about someone else more than you care about you.
Completely and utterly disagree. I suppose that could be a subset of platonic love, although it certainly doesn't define it. Romantic love, however, needs to be returned at a reasonably equal level. Otherwise it's just a crush.
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr.Funny:

What is love?

quote:
Baby, don't hurt me
Don't hurt me, no more

*moves head sideways to the beat*
"Oh I don't know, with you not there, I give you my love but you don't care. So what is right? And what is wrong? Give me a sign."

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
'All love is unrequited.'
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
You are sharing a bagel with someone. Do you keep the top half that has all the seeds on it? Or do you give it to that special someone and take the less-seedy bottom half for yourself? If you want the top half, it is not true love. If you would rather see your beloved have the top half -- true love.

You cut the bagel in half the other way, and then give the side with more junk on it to the other person, because they ordered something liberally dosed with raisins - which, unknown to them, drive you nuts.
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate seeds on my bagel. Luckily, my husband cares not either way.

Now, an onion bagel would be a different question.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Treason
Member # 7587

- posted      Profile for Treason   Email Treason         Edit/Delete Post 
Love is.... really annoying cutesy things.
Posts: 870 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

- posted      Profile for Choobak   Email Choobak         Edit/Delete Post 
What is love ? easy ! It's what we need !
Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
Love is an addiction and has withdrawal symptoms.
Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
That's a hard question, 'cuz I've loved a number of people, and though I'd describe the emotion of each as 'love', the feeling is very different. Even the feeling you'd expect to be the same- the feeling I had for two of my girlfriends, or each of my sisters- is very different.

Love is wanting to understand someone. Love is often feeling you're a better person when you're around them; loving yourself is feeling you're also a good person when you're alone. Love is wanting to help someone on their journey- maybe accompany them for a time- maybe help them chart their course.

Love can be the sweetest feeling in the world, and that's why it can be so awful to lose. Losing love is losing part of yourself, the you that was when you were around that person you loved and feeling love for that person.

There are people I love who I would die for, people who I love who I would donate a kidney for, travel a thousand miles for, give blood for. And there are people I love who I wouldn't do any of these things for, oddly enough, perhaps because their journeys have gone long enough and far enough and they've chosen their way and many of them wouldn't want me to.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Ketchupqueen, I was thinking that same sonnet. It's the only one I can recite from memory.

quote:
Let me not to the marriage of true minds
Admit impediments. Love is not love
Which alters when it alteration finds,
Or bends with the remover to remove.
Oh no, it is an ever fixed mark
Which looks on tempests and is never shaken,
It is The Star to every wand'ring bark
Whose worth's unknown, although his height be taken.
Love's not times fool, though rosey lips and cheeks
Within his bending sicle's compass come.
Love alters not with his brief hours and weeks,
But bears it out even to the edge of doom.

If this be error and upon me proved,
I never writ, nor no man ever loved.

Tante, what you describe is self-sacrifice or even altruism. Love is often knowing that your beloved prefers the bottom of the bagel. Or the best love is often the complete dance of offering the top, your beloved refusing it because he loves you too, and you agreeing to cut the bagel into two "u"s, so you both get the full bagel experience. Always being the giver, though, is almost as selfish as never being the giver.
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raventh1
Member # 3750

- posted      Profile for raventh1           Edit/Delete Post 
Love is like unto the seasons of fruit. Ripe and Bitter are some of the flavors that you can experience. Some occasions you will experience both at the same time. On others it will only be the lightest sensation.

You are the tastebud, you decide how you associate good and bad.

Posts: 1132 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.