FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Going Acoustic to Electric (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Going Acoustic to Electric
BryanP
Member # 7772

- posted      Profile for BryanP           Edit/Delete Post 
I made a thread here a few months ago and some of you gave me really good advice for buying a guitar. I ended up getting an acoustic one, largely because they were cheaper and it sounded like a good idea to start there and build up finger strength, etc.

Now I've actually kept at it since then (shock) and I'm thinking of getting an electric. But I'm still pretty bad and I'm not sure how long I should stick at the acoustic prior to "upgrading." Any advice on that front?

Also, I still don't know the first thing about them, so if anyone can recommend some decent guitars for $200-300, I'd be much obliged.

Thanks!

Posts: 326 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
The Fender Stratocaster is the stereotypical electric. They play pretty well, and aren't really expensive.

Epiphone makes a bunch of good electrics for 300-400 dollars (same company as Gibson). Yamaha supposedly does the same (no firsthand experience here).

I'm actually looking for a new electric right now, too. Do what I do: play as many of them as you can in person, and price shop on the internet.

Musician's Friend is the place to go online.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
The one I'm thinking about is here.

This is known as an 'archtop', which is kind of like the step between electric and acoustic/electric. I would call it electric/acoustic.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalD
Member # 6222

- posted      Profile for GaalD   Email GaalD         Edit/Delete Post 
How about this? It's a value package that comes with pretty much everything you need to start playing electric guitar. And Ibanez guitars are great. Remember, if you plan on buying a $200-300 guitar, you'll still have to buy an amp and a couple of other electronics which could also cost a decent amount more.
Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalD
Member # 6222

This guitar is amazing, but it might be a little bit out of your price range [Big Grin] .
Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
We have tried to keep our son off the electric guitar until he is "solid" on acoustic. Which he is. Now, he has an electric guitar, but he rarely chooses to play it.

He says it is not all that different, except that it "bends" much easier, and he loves his bends.

Remember, when you have an electric guitar, you also need to buy an amp so you can hear it.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalD
Member # 6222

"Remember, when you have an electric guitar, you also need to buy an amp so you can hear it."

quote:
Remember, if you plan on buying a $200-300 guitar, you'll still have to buy an amp
Posted by me above... [Wink]
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

Unless you're planning on playing gigs pretty soon, all you really need is a little practice amp. They're typically fairly cheap, but get pretty loud. That, and a $10 chord and you're ready to rock.

I recommend that instead of a bundle, like that linked by Jaime. Nothing against it, per se, just that in my opinion the instruments tend to be, umm, sub-par.

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I was told (when I got my acoustic at the music shop) that if my fingers couldn't stretch far enough of the acoustic, I should be able to on an electric.

Which is true. I can easily hit my troublesome chords on an electric.

But I like my acoustic. [Smile]

I think my fingers are webbed or something. I honestly can't do a barre chord that requires hitting two frets away from where you're holding the barre. Now, I've talked to people about this. And shown them the problem. It's not quite a matter of my fingers not being long enough, it's a combination of that and the skin between my fingers. No, they aren't really webbed. But the skin stops my finger from stretching any further and if I try, then the barre finger can't press down on the strings because of the angle. [Mad]

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rico
Member # 7533

- posted      Profile for Rico           Edit/Delete Post 
It's probably a matter with how you're holding the guitar mackmillian, how long have you been playing for?

Personally I don't hold the guitar like most people recommend you do, I find it awkward and clumsy... it really limits my reach. Most barre chords in standard tuning usually require you to hit a note only 1 fret away from the barre though (1 fret inbetween).

As far as the original topic, how long since you've had the acoustic? I'd recommend sticking with it for a little while longer and giving buying the electric some serious consideration. Go out to the store and play some electrics, see how you like it and make your decision based on that.

[ September 16, 2005, 02:15 AM: Message edited by: Rico ]

Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
I want to make a plug for Yamaha guitars, (though Ibanez is another low cost high quality brand). I bought my Yamaha telecaster copy for just $250 and it's a wonderful guitar. It surpasses both of my Fender Telecasters in quality. The fretboard is flatter, the pickups are better, the tuning machines are far better and smoother, the bridge adjustments are much nicer, in every way it's an excellent guitar and I think it sounds great.

I've been very impressed with Yamaha instruments several times. I would definitely check them out.

Electric is going to be much easier to play than acoustic, by the way, not harder. I recommend that you get fairly heavy gauge strings for your electric, like .10s or even .11s. Stevie Ray Vaughn gave this tip in an old article in Guitar Player magazine and he's so right. The notes just bend much nicer and you can really feel it when you bend them. It's more expressive, I think. Give it a try.

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and for an amp, try to find a used tube amp. Perhaps a Dean Markley. They sound so much warmer and richer than silicone, I think. A new tube amp would be even better but they're rather expensive. I got mine used for not too much. Mine's a Dean Markley 60A. It sounds really good.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xtownaga
Member # 7187

- posted      Profile for xtownaga   Email xtownaga         Edit/Delete Post 
Despite the fact that I know virtually nothing about guitars, I'm going to recommend the Squier Stratocaster.
I have one (on a friend's advice), but I ended up abandoning my attempts to learn to play, or at least put them on hold indefinitally. Anyway, it's apparentally more or less exactly the same as the rahter more expensive Fender Stratocaster (Fender owns Squier), but cheepr. They go for about $200 (plus the amp, etc). It seems like a good guitar to me, but as I said I have no idea what I'm talking about here. My friend, who is rather good at guitar agrees that it's a very good deal for the price.

Posts: 187 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BryanP
Member # 7772

Wow, thanks for all the responses so far! You guys are great!

I've had the acoustic since May, and I'll probably get an electric either in October or December, we'll see. But I thought it would be nice to start researching, so thanks very much for all the suggestions.

My current acoustic is a Yamaha FG-412S. It's nice, but used and doesn't sound great.... although perhaps it could use new strings. Anyhow, I like that electrics are easier, but I thought maybe it would be detrimental to my overall development if I got one too early (but who am I kidding, this is really only for fun, I have no rockstar ambitions [Frown] ).

Posts: 326 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
human_2.0
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for human_2.0   Email human_2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
My boss sold his very expensive amp and speakers from the days he use be in a band, and he bought GuitarRig.
Posts: 1209 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
I want to learn how to play guitar. Probably not going to happen very soon, though. Drat...
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
Look for a brand name called "OLP". It's an Asian made, licensed copy of the Music Man Guitar that Eddie Van Halen used to play. It plays and sounds just fine and you can likely get it for under $200.

I have one of the OLP Music Man Bass knock offs as a backup bass.

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parsimony
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for Parsimony           Edit/Delete Post 
I started off learning on an electric, mine is a Washburn, and after about a year bought a Takamine Acoustic/Electric. I loved it.

I honestly wouldn't even have played my electric anymore if I hadn't been involved in rock bands that required it. I do all my writing on acoustic, and all my practicing.

I bought a used tube amp at a used equipment store for about 50 dollars, and it has been great for me. Used is definately the way to go.

If I were buying a new electric guitar, and money was not a problem, I would want a Black Beauty. But that's just me.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 367 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
This is the Alvarez I have

I'm happy with it. Got it cheaper, though. [Smile]

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BryanP
Member # 7772

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/519633/

I saw this package at a local music store, and the guy who worked there recommended it. It was $100 more there, and seems pretty much the same as the Ibanez package someone else mentioned, though I've heard more about Fenders. I played the guitar a bit and it seems fine, though it's hard to tell how they sound without an amp. Any comments?

Rico
Member # 7533

Ask the guy at the store to let you play it with an Amp. It's not uncommon to want to play your instrument before you buy it, the staff should be used to that sort of thing [Smile]

Squiers aren't bad starter guitars and the package seems pretty reasonably priced. If you like the sound, the guitar feels comfortable and you're ok with spending the money on it, I'd say go for it!

Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I've got a squire bass. It's certainly nothing fancy, but for a beginner, it's fine. No complaints here.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

The nice thing about guitars is that until you play a really good one, you don't know that yours is bad. This is why I've bought all my new guitars. I'm never unhappy with the old ones, I just play one that's better and bam, I'm hooked.

In other words, that should work fine for you.

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll second that. I had a Squier strat and loved it. My friend (a professional musician) played it and pointed out all the flaws (including that he couldn't tune it to satisfy his meticulous requirements).

To me, it sounded great and cost next to nothing.

And I wasn't nearly as upset when it was stolen as I would've been had I purchased something really good and really expensive.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalD
Member # 6222

I second that you should play it in the store with an amp. But also make sure to try out some others that you might be interested in, so you have something to compare it to. I've never played a Squier guitar but the first, and only, bass I ever bought was this one. And I think it was a mistake to buy Squier. After playing my friend's Ibanez bass, which costed about the same as my squier, I was waaay more impressed with the Ibanez. But maybe you'll like Squier better, the only thing I suggest is to try out alot of different guitars before you buy one. Don't make the same mistake as me and regret buying the one you picked because you didn't try out the others.
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I also own a Squier Strat. Hooked up to my Xoom effects board and my Crate tube amp, I do just fine. If I were more of a player, I'd probably have a more professional guitar, but my Squier does just fine. It's a good guitar. I even bought a hard case for it (an actual Squier case).
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BryanP
Member # 7772

The problem with trying it out in the store is...I suck. It'd be embarassing. Do they give you private rooms? *red face*

Thanks for the comments, and I will certainly do my homework before settling on one.

Dr. Evil
Member # 8095

- posted      Profile for Dr. Evil   Email Dr. Evil         Edit/Delete Post 
BryanP,

My advice as one who has owned many guitars, find yourself a nice used Epiphone Les Paul. First of all a beautiful guitar and made 100 times better than the Squier series.

Secondly, don't worry about sucking. Everyone starts somewhere and most guitarist never pass judgement on others. Do it for fun and becasue you love it.

I agree with El JT too. Stay away from the bundles or the bargains at Musicians Friend. They are more than sub-par. Take your time and play a bunch and then go with what you like. I tried so many acoustics before I bought mine. I listened to some guy jam out on a Martin HD-28 in Guitar Center and raved about how this was the best guitar in the place. Well the strings were dead and the sound was flat but he was convinced probably because it said Martin on the headstock.

I have a Yamaha, a Martin and a Larrivee acoustic and the Larrivee is by far the best sounding. BUt typically the Yamahas are made with a laminate wood, the Martin is a Mahogany body and the Larrivee is Rosewood so the sounds are incredibly different.

Posts: 117 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BryanP
Member # 7772

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! I just got back from Guitar Center and I don't know what to do anymore!

I looked at a really nice Brawley Threat guitar for about $300. A guy who worked at the store wailed on it for awhile and it sounded nice, then I played with it and thought it seemed like a good guitar to get.

But THEN my friend and I went into the acoustic room and I played with a $550 Taylor, which sounded great, so much better than my Yamaha FG-412S and sooooooo much easier to play.

Now I can't decide whether to spend a little more money and get the Taylor (I could split it with my parents for my b-day) or go with the electric... The acoustic sounds great but I can't rock out as much...but I can't rock out on an electric yet because I'm not good enough... but I also want an electric....don't....know.....what....to....do

*end stream of consciousness*

HELP!!!!

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Buy some old Who records and listen to Pete Townshend.

It is possible to "rock out" on an acoustic.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BryanP
Member # 7772

quote:
Originally posted by Bob_Scopatz:
Buy some old Who records and listen to Pete Townshend.

It is possible to "rock out" on an acoustic.

hahaha, true true, you are right indeedy
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

Welcome, my friend. You are now well on your way to one of my favorite obsessions - guitars. Everytime I get ready to buy an electric, I play a really nice acoustic. Long story short, I've been playing for 6 years and I have 4 acoustics, no electrics. I started test driving again recently, and I found yet another acoustic. I haven't bought it, but I drool over it weekly.
BryanP
Member # 7772

Well, El JT, it sounds like maybe it's about time you just laid down about $3000 on an acoustic and you're set for life [Wink]

Then you can go out and get an electric. Or not...

*indecisive*

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

I'm working my way up. I'm looking at two acoustics in the 1200-1400 dollar range. Hopefully then I'll be satisfied.
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

- posted      Profile for The Silverblue Sun   Email The Silverblue Sun         Edit/Delete Post 
Get a Mexican Fender Squire.

They range from like 150 to 250

you can usally get a package deal with an amp for like 300 total

Posts: 2752 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BryanP
Member # 7772

quote:
Originally posted by El JT de Spang:
I'm working my way up. I'm looking at two acoustics in the 1200-1400 dollar range. Hopefully then I'll be satisfied.

Well, you obviously know a good deal more about guitars than I do, but I also played a bit of a Taylor tonight that was around $1000, and it was beautiful. If there are any around the price range you're looking at, I'd check 'em out.

I don't know what I'm doing making recommendations to someone who clearly knows WAY more than me *shakes head*

Rico
Member # 7533

Unless you're REALLY crazy about the acoustic I'd say go with the electric. You already have an acoustic so buying another one would make your old guitar superfluous. If you buy an electric you end up with having a choice on what you want to play when the mood strikes you. Besides, you'll never be able to "rock out" on an electric if you never get one [Razz]

Ability comes through practice!

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
It looks like there are a lot of the Fender Squires with amps on EBay. If you kept your eyes open, you might be able to get a pretty good deal.

I did that for my bass, and I ended up getting it with amp for about $170, after a couple of weeks of hunting for a good deal on EBay.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

- posted      Profile for The Silverblue Sun   Email The Silverblue Sun         Edit/Delete Post 
The beginning AMP is almost more important than the beginning electric guitar.

You want to be able to make ELECTRIC noises, and this depends more on the AMP (or pedals) than the guitar.

You really just want a cheap, decent electric guitar that stays in tune.

And a Good Amp.

I was lucky and got a good guitar, a Gibson Epiphone Les Paul whatever, and this super kick ass Line6 50 watt that has a several effects built in.

I love Delay. Love it. And am growing to love distortion and overdrive. I can always mess with Flange and Phaser, but they should be used sparingly.

If I were spending your $300 as a noob git player, I'd spend $300 on a Mexican Squire Fender and a 30 watt Line6 Amp on Ebay.

Marry those 2 and you will have LOTS of fun for a year or two without having to spend any other monies on anything other than strings and picks.

Posts: 2752 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr. Evil
Member # 8095

Personally I think there is so much more depth and feel to an acoustic that I would advise not getting the electric. If you want a better guitar IMO that the Taylor for better $$, go with the Larrivee. You could get a nice used one for around $750 (LV-03R or L-03R).

Give a listen to some guys like Leo Kottke (who plays Taylor), John Fahey, Michael Hedges, Michael Manring and Don Ross to see what these guys accomplish with an acoustic. I know there are so many electric players out there who listen to Hedges and think "Wow, I couldn't do that!"

Fun stuff but try it all. And stay away from Guitar Center too! That place is a rip-off. Try www.gbase.com for a listing of instruments.

Posts: 117 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

quote:
Well, you obviously know a good deal more about guitars than I do, but I also played a bit of a Taylor tonight that was around $1000, and it was beautiful. If there are any around the price range you're looking at, I'd check 'em out.
Yeah, one of the ones I'm looking at is a Taylor.
Dr. Evil
Member # 8095

El JT,

Have you looked at anything else? I had a Tacoma which was an incredibly nice guitar. Disappointed in my Martin and Martin in general. Played a Santa Cruz and a Collings and both were great. Love the Taylors although a bit brighter than I would like. Found the perfect balance with the Larrivee. Went to a local guitar shop with a fantastic acoustic showroom and stood with my back to the guitar tech as he played each guitar that I was looknig at and the Larrivee won every time for me.

My next will be some kind of parlor guitar. More than likely a Larrivee and if I could find one in Blackwood (Australian Koa) I would scoop it up in a heartbeat.

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

I've never played a Larrivee, but I'll look for one. I have a Takamine that I love, and a pretty good Ovation.

There's a local company that makes acoustics with carbon fiber bodies called Composite Acoustics. Their guitars have the fullest tone I've ever heard, with great action and preamps. And since they're carbon fiber, they're impervious to temperature and humidity. One of the country singers who rep them supposedly backed over his guitar (in the hard case) and didn't crack the neck or body.

I'm also looking at Simon & Patrick, and Seagull.

I'm a little suspicious of the acoustic showroom. Everything sounds awesome in there. I like to play out in the main room when I'm looking at stuff. That's a great idea, having the tech play the guitars while you're not looking. Like a blind taste test.

Dr. Evil
Member # 8095

A lot of players these days are going over to the non-wood bodies. I know that Adrian Legg, Preston Reed and Kaki King are all playing some form of Ovation. Of course Reed and King play all on the fretboard so I wonder if there is some distinct advantage to this. Legg at least uses different guitars. He got an incredible sound out of this Brook Creedy (small England based manufacturer) which I just love. I think that guitar sells from $2-3K though so a little out of my price range.

Most definitely check out the Larrivee's. They make a broad range of bodies, from parlors, OM's, Dreads, Jumbos and their own L body which I have and love. They also use a broad selection of tonewoods too and they have some great customizations, especially on their headstocks.

BryanP
Member # 7772

quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Evil:
Personally I think there is so much more depth and feel to an acoustic that I would advise not getting the electric. If you want a better guitar IMO that the Taylor for better $$, go with the Larrivee. You could get a nice used one for around $750 (LV-03R or L-03R).

Give a listen to some guys like Leo Kottke (who plays Taylor), John Fahey, Michael Hedges, Michael Manring and Don Ross to see what these guys accomplish with an acoustic. I know there are so many electric players out there who listen to Hedges and think "Wow, I couldn't do that!"

Fun stuff but try it all. And stay away from Guitar Center too! That place is a rip-off. Try www.gbase.com for a listing of instruments.

Thanks for the recommendation, but $750 is getting way too pricey at this point. Since my initial range was up to 300, the $550 Taylor would be the absolute max. I seem to be leaning towards the acoustic....
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to go against the flow of this thread here and suggest that you get a good starter electric, an amp, and either an effects processor or a couple of stomp boxes (distortion and wah, for instance). I initially learned guitar on a classical at fifteen, but when I hit sixteen I got my parents to buy me an electric and a practice amp and barely touched the classical after that. I got them to buy me an overdrive/distortion pedal, and I later bought a second distortion pedal and ultimately an effects processor (Boss GT-5).

Earlier this year I moved to a new town and got an apartment. Within a few months I'd bought a Yamaha clavinova (electronic piano with weighted keys), but it wasn't until a couple of months ago that I bought an acoustic guitar. (Added: So that's almost ten years without an acoustic; I'm 24 now.) I really like having both, but I play the electric more. I still use the dinky little practice amp with my electric, since I don't need volume and my GT-5's amp modelling capabilities are quite robust. I also run it into headphones or into my computer sometimes (which comes out through my home theatre speaker setup, and sounds all right).

It depends on what style of music you're looking to play, though. My guitar idol is a fellow by the name of Yngwie Malmsteen. Check out Trilogy Suite Opus or Concerto Suite for Electric Guitar and Orchestra in E flat Minor. [Smile]

So, my advice is: get a Strat and start working on some Hendrix. [Big Grin]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

Yeah, it ultimately depends on where you see your development as a musician going.

If you listen to Staind, Tool, and all that business, you're gonna need distortion and the like or you won't be able to play it.

If you want to play Stevie Vai solos or Satriani, again, you need an electric to really manipulate the 19th-22nd frets (which I almost never touch).

If you like John Mayer, Dave Matthews, and those guys, you'll enjoy the tone and unplugged feel of a good acoustic.

What do you want to play more of?

twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I listen to everyone you mentioned (though not so much Staind or John Mayer). That's part of why I suggest he gets an electric, since he already has an acoustic. [Smile]

Added: Of course, my next goal is to by an electronic drum kit (a real drum kit would annoy the neighbours). Then maybe a new electric, but I haven't played any guitars with action I like as much as the action on my old battered no-name electric. [Big Grin]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
There is nothing more therapeutic than plugging into my amp, firing it up, and just wailing on some crushing power cords at loud volumes.

That being said:

If you are going to get an electric, you are almost nearly positively going to trade-up and get a different electic whether it be a year or 5 years from now.

So, invest in a good amp and effects as mentioned above.

Since I am working, I am able to buy a guitar without money being so much of a factor. So I figured I would go out and grab a Les Paul and figured I'd get one for around $1200. Then factor in an amp and effects and you can easily spend $300 on a smaller one.

So I went to the local music shop expecting to find nothing...but was pleasantly surprised. They carry Gibson Epiphones and Cort. I loved the Cort electrics and acoustics, and liked the price as well. So basically, I bought a guitar that was half of what I expected to pay, and bought the biggest and nicest amp I could with effects for another $600. So I got a nice package for what the Les Paul would have cost.

But what is nice about this arrangement now is that even if I buy another guitar in a year or two, there is definitely no need to replace the amp. So if you are going to spend money, as everyone else is repeating: DO NOT FORGET THE AMP. The guitar is cool, but if you are going to use distortion, you will be much happier with a less expensive guitar that sounds cool through your nice amp as opposed to a terrific guitar that needs to be plugged into something that makes it sound meaner.

Check out Cort before you do anything:

http://www.cort.com/home.html

http://www.guitarplayer.com/story.asp?sectioncode=6&storycode=4408

You could put together a nice guitar and NICE amp for under $600!

Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
Cort are beautiful instruments. A friend of mine used to have a 5 string Cort bass and it was freakin' amazing. I have played a few Cort guitars in guitar shops and they are very nice too.

I have a Samick guitar and bass. They are both pretty average instruments. I would recommend them only if you have a much more limited budget. Though I did try out a Samick Les Paul a couple months ago and it was pretty nice.

Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.