FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » So a fellow classmate says to me as we're exiting class.... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: So a fellow classmate says to me as we're exiting class....
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
There was a guy my freshman year (I was 26) who used to call me "Mom." He finally stopped it when I began calling him "Little Man."

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
When I went to college there was a graduate student (CJ) living in our dorms who was considered the old guy. Not that he was all that old, but most people tended to get apartments instead of student housing before they were even seniors, much less a grad student. Jokes were made about CJ being hundreds of years old, and how he only lived in the dorms because they were built around him, that sort of thing.

This meant that my first age-related crisis came a few days after my 23rd birthday, when I suddenly sat bolt upright and yelled "I'm as old as CJ was when I met him!"

It was a scary realization.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tt&t
Member # 5600

- posted      Profile for tt&t   Email tt&t         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"Christ al-bloody-mighty."
I dunno how common that is in other parts of the world, but it's such a Kiwi thing to say. *grin*

As to the topic of the thread, I'm taking an LLB/BA conjoint degree, and my English, Philosophy and other arts papers are a heck of a lot easier than my law papers. [Razz]

...of course, that could be because I don't like law that much...

Posts: 1431 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
My Don (the position is usually filled by an upper year undergraduate- anywhere from their 3rd to 6th years) is a law student, 35 years old.

I assume she does it because the residence fees are free, but I do think that it must be hell, having to babysit a bunch of young people (about half of the students are first years, aged 17 or 18) and study law at the same time.

I also get the feeling there's a disconnect between us and her- I suppose there's the feeling that there is an us and her is an indication.

I think there is a bit of tension between older students and the regular students. I always get the feeling they have that extra worldy edge, especially if this is their second degree. However, I like their prescence because I think it makes the younger students act slightly better.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I majored in English and minored in biology and chemistry, and the work required to get a good grade in my English courses was about 1/4 of what it took to get the same grade in my science courses. It might have been 1/5.

On the other hand, after no school for four years and lots of work experience, I get much better grades now despite being in grad school. It's like I have to work anyway, so I might as well do it for school too.

The comment was still tacky, though. Excuses are lame.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.