FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I'm an ACTOR!

Author Topic: I'm an ACTOR!
Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
Coming soon to a Nintendo DS near you ... The Sims 2! With special guest star Puppy as The Mole King!

(I'm actually the designer on the PSP game, but they brought me in to do a random voice on the DS version. I wasn't even sure if my voice would make the cut, but I'm in the credits, so I guess it did!)

Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow cool!!
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
That's awesome! [Big Grin]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
oooooh
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Thats cool. Its too bad that I don't have a DS or money.

Since your a designer for the PSP deal, does that mean you can get me one for free?

(I'm kidding if you couldn't tell. It would be selfish and rude of me to ask such a thing really.)

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
(not that that stopped you)

[Wink]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puppy
Member # 6721

He didn't ask for it "really", so he wasn't rude [Smile]

And no, I'll be lucky if I land a single free copy of any of these games for myself.

Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
We have another Mel Blanc in the making! Yay!
[Smile]
FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

- posted      Profile for 0range7Penguin           Edit/Delete Post 
Thats really cool!
Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miriya
Member # 7822

- posted      Profile for Miriya   Email Miriya         Edit/Delete Post 
Oooo Aaaaaa

Very cool.

Posts: 251 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Puppy- All you have to do is enslave a leprechaun and you'll have all the luck you'll ever need.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but the trick is catching it. I've heard that luring it into a cave on a saturday and making a sock jig is the perfect way to catch them, but then the same person also told me that Gandalf was a fake.
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Did you slap the said person? Because Gandalf is no fake. I had tea with him yesterday, and I can tell you that there is nothing fake about him. Except his nose, he had a little work done.
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Does this mean the SIMS have learned to talk something other than gibberish?
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and congratulations! Very cool!
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Bob_Scopatz:
Does this mean the SIMS have learned to talk something other than gibberish?

Not necessarily. [Wink]

Very cool, Geoff. [Big Grin]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Star of stage and screen!
Or something like it, anyway.
Congrats!

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, um, what's a DS?

[Embarrassed]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puppy
Member # 6721

The Sims speak a very specific kind of gibberish called "Simlish", which is actually very hard to do correctly. I was lucky that I was given a character so quirky that the quality of my Simlish wouldn't be an issue (though I have to say, I'm not too bad at it) ... [Smile]

Icarus, the DS is Nintendo's newest handheld gaming platform. The name refers to its Dual Screen. The device opens like a butterfly. The top screen is a typical screen, but the bottom screen is touch-sensitive, which follows the trend of Nintendo making up crazy new ways to play games. (See the Revolution Controller thread.)

I don't think they'll ever be the industry leader again, but they are certainly a boon to innovation.

Icarus
Member # 3162

Thanks. [Smile]

-o-

"Simlish" has changed over the years. Cor plays the PC game constantly, and has for a good six years or so. Over years of listening to it, I have come to know a lot of phrases in it, and I noticed when Sims2 came out that they had completely reinvented it, and they had reinvented it for the worse. There is a lot less variety, and a lot of it is obviously based on Spanish words, whereas before it really sounded like a completely different language.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
I think there was definitely more variety in the sequel. (I mean, how often in the first game did you hear a woman say, "Brow? A fray dushay. Edda wubbida shna"? So often that one of the heavy metal songs in the sequel has that as its chorus [Smile] )

If you don't like the new lines, though, it's probably the actors you don't like. Each new actor takes to Simlish in a different way, and it's very hard to get some of them not to repeat the same syllables again and again, or unconsciously use familiar foreign sounds. The male voice we got for the PSP game was AMAZING, but not everyone can be that good.

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
AAACCTTTIIIINNNNGGGGG!!!!!!!

(I'm sorry, this is the only way I can think of to convey what I do when I make fun of actors. Say it in a loud, pompous, and booming voice like you're being heroic.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
When my kids used to play Sims all the time (we only have the original version), they would go around talking Simlish at random and drive me crazy. They thought it was great fun. (driving me crazy, that is) [Smile]
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Maybe it's different in the PC game, or maybe we just disagree. [Smile] I always got a big kick out of listening to the Simlish. I have even used lines of it in plays I've been in, when I was supposed to be incomprehensible. They used to have paragraphs of dialogue, and now they just have sentences or phrases.

EDIT to add: actually, it seems like now they mostly just have interjections. They never sound like they're really saying anything.

[ September 17, 2005, 12:48 PM: Message edited by: Icarus ]

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Puppy:
Icarus, the DS is Nintendo's newest handheld gaming platform. The name refers to its Dual Screen. The device opens like a butterfly.

Oh, oh! I know what that is! It's been featured in several recent Foxtrot strips!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you TRULY an actor, or are you just acting like one?

I'm not an actor, but I play one on TV

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.