FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I have a confession to make...

Author Topic: I have a confession to make...
odouls268
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for odouls268   Email odouls268         Edit/Delete Post 
I have never finished Xenocide... nor read Children of the mind ::gasp!::

But be that as it may, I have occasion to be curious and desire a Hatrackian distillation of philotes. Much the same way someone once hit me with a quick three sentence definition of memes, Im wondering what philotes are, what they connect, how and why...

Anybody wanna throw an old Jatraquero a bone? [Razz]

Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
I would also like Star Trek's theory of warp travel explained to me.

Preferably also in three sentences, I don't have a very long attention sp

Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
philotes are like the typical description of a "soul," but with some physically "knowable" properties. Someone else will have to explain how the conenct things. But however it's done, it allows for instantaneous communication at any distance.

The Star Trek theory of warp travel is based on having parts lying around that looked like nacelles and having to figure out why they would stick way off the ship like that when other civilizations figured out a way to do it without that.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
human_2.0
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for human_2.0   Email human_2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
************Spoilers***********

(not story spoilers, but how things work spoilers, which is a big deal in my opinion because I think the ideas are half of why the books are worth reading)

It has been awhile since I read the books and I've internalized the definitions. So it is probably full of my own interpretation a bit.

Philotes are like tiny wires. They exist in another place, or dimention. But they cross over into our world, and connect to everything, rocks, plants, people. Distances in our world mean nothing to philotes since they exist in another place.

If you are "connected" to another person, you have awarenesses of that person the other senses don't grant you. Ok, that is probably a bit of my own definition, but I think you get the idea. It is also probably part of the Homecoming series Silver Thread definition too.

In Ender's game, they figured out how to split an atom or something so that one philote stayed connected to both halfs. By vibrating one half, the other half vibrated as well. Because distance didn't matter to philotes, they could send one half to the other side of the galaxy and you can shake one half and communicate with the other half instantaneously, faster than light (FTL).

In the last books, they figure out how to actually *go* to the other place, where philotes are, and return back to our place, at any location they wanted. FTL travel.

Don't get me started on Star Trek. I just deleted 4 paragraphs of ranting...

Posts: 1209 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orlox
Member # 2392

- posted      Profile for orlox           Edit/Delete Post 
Back in the 1980's physicists were finally able to do an experiment that Einstein thought up to disprove Heisenberg. Everyone has probably heard it in some mythologized form or other.

Set up an interaction such that two particles are go off in opposite directions and do not interact with anything else. Wait until they are far apart, then measure the momentum of one and the position of the other. Because of conservation of momentum, you can determine the momentum of the particle not measured, so when you measure it's position you know both it's momentum and position: Heisenberg explodes, quantum mechanics disappear in a puff of uncertainty, and God does not play dice.

Unfortunately, reality is mighty wierd and the particles somehow knew what the other was doing even when farther apart than the speed of light could transmit information. We don't understand it but every particle knows what every other particle it has ever interacted with is doing.

I always figured Card's philotes to be artistic license with that property of quantum physics.

Posts: 675 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odouls268
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for odouls268   Email odouls268         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank You everybody. Exactly what I needed.
Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
But of course it is. We're philotically linked.
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
That, and none of us look good in bright green shorts.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Speak for yourself.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.