FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hook, Line, and Sinker

Author Topic: Hook, Line, and Sinker
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm supposed to say SPOILER WARNING . . . .

(sorry, KQ - I thought everyone had read these books by now . . . *abashed*)

I confess, I'm "anti-" anything that the majority says is good.

For example, I have NOT yet seen Titanic, nor do I intend to (hmphh).

My son, bless his pea-pickin' soul, insisted on a Harry Potter video-thon during our vacation a few weeks ago. Which of course led to a read-a-thon and smarting eyes.

(Yes, I have studiously avoided Harry Potter, too. Why go with the flow?)

We now have a $20 bet on whether Snape is really a Death Eater or is playing a very deep game of double-spy.

What do you think? Should I start saving my pennies right now?

And when is the next movie out?

[Blushing]

[ September 19, 2005, 10:00 AM: Message edited by: Shan ]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
So you are asking us so that you can poll for the majority opinion, which you will automatically disregard?

Huh?

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
Aw, and here I thought this was going to be a Wheeler and Woolsey thread.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Shan, Firefly is horrible, and the majority does not like it.

Or are you okay with the majority of Hatrack liking something, as long as it's not popular with the general public?

Oh, and double spy.

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
The 4th movie comes out in November, not sure the date, hopefully before thanksgiving (it's fun to talk about with my cousins then)
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

Oh, I don't mind folks liking what they like, Shigosei - I've simply refused to see Titanic because everyone insists it must be seen - it's that stubborn streak thing. *grin*

I couldn't see disappointing my son, though - and was pleasantly surprised - and captivated.

I agree Snape's double dealing - it's just that I think he well land on the side of Dumbledore (dead or not), not that one who's name we should not say . . . Nathan thinks the opposite, hence the $20 bet.

So, just curious as to what the rest of you think. Is Snape ultimately going to wind up on the good side?

Nathan and I are so excited about the next movie! Woo-hoo!

(He's hollering, "I told you so!")

[Big Grin]

Edit to add: What's Firefly?

[Razz]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Never see Titanic, Shan. You wouldn't like it at all.

Snape is going to fall on the side of good -- more or less. [Wink]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Rivka, I dreamed about you again last night. I dreamed I smuggled you on board a Carribean cruise so I would have a roommate. It was... interesting.
Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*blink* I went on a Caribbean cruise, and I don't even remember? That's hardly fair.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Pics? [Wink]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

Reverse psychology does not fit you, rivka.

(grin)

Okay - which for Snape?

More -

or less?

I actually can't stop seeing him in my mind's eye in "Sense and Sensibility" which of course leaves him landing more on the "good" side than the "bad" . . .

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Reverse psychology does not fit you, rivka.
I'm sure I don't know what you are talking about. O:)

quote:
Okay - which for Snape?

More -

or less?

I actually can't stop seeing him in my mind's eye in "Sense and Sensibility" which of course leaves him landing more on the "good" side than the "bad" . . .

Oh, I think more "more" than "less," but he has never been completely innocent or good. Which makes him altogether human, and one of the most interesting characters in the series.

It also makes him useful in many ways.

Hmm216
Member # 8403

- posted      Profile for Hmm216   Email Hmm216         Edit/Delete Post 
November 16th is the release date for the fourth movie!!
Posts: 218 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hmm216
Member # 8403

- posted      Profile for Hmm216   Email Hmm216         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, now that I think about it, its actually the 18th.
Posts: 218 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

Hmphhh - the "official" website has not released the trailer, yet.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
SPOILERS! SPOILERS!

Where is your spoiler warning?

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
So you are asking us so that you can poll for the majority opinion, which you will automatically disregard?

Huh?

It has come to my attention that my post can be read as an attack. I want to sincerely apologise to anyone who interpreted it that way, especially to Shan. I certainly didn't mean it as a challenge or as disrespectful. The tone I was shooting for was humorous irony. But sometimes when I shoot, I miss. This may have been one of those times.

I hold no enmity or contempt for Shan, and I hope that we can proceed in friendship. I will try to be more sensitive in my postings; it is common, I think, for the writer to hear her posts with different ears than the reader. I was certainly surprised to find that what I had written had been interpreted as hostile.

In return for my attempts to be more sensitive, though, I'd like to ask something in exchange: could people try to give me the benefit of the doubt? I'm not a mean-spirited person, and I don't want to hurt or insult anyone here. So if something I wrote could be interpreted either way, chances are, I wasn't intending to be hurtful.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Hmm. I have the advantage of having met you in person, as well as having a similarly odd sense of humor . . . but I totally read that as tongue-in-cheek. [Dont Know]
Shan
Member # 4550

Well, thanks, Tante, for explaining. My tongue-in-cheek meter is currently broken - I rely on those silly smilies to help interpret humor.

Personally, I have had to learn to shoot a lot less readily from the hip when responding electronically (forum or e-mail) - which actually has encouraged me to be a bit more thoughtful IRL in my communication style. Which is a good thing, for me.

[Smile]

Now - Snape. Where will he land?

[Big Grin]

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Honestly, I'm beginning to care less and less about Harry et al. I offer no theories on the disposition of Snape.
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
Snape is good. By which I mean, on the side of Harry and the Order. I guess it's impossible to really say that he's good.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Snape is trying to do the right thing. I doubt he'll end up being likable by the end of the series, though!
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
I hope Snape is on the side that gets Nathan $20 from his mom. [Razz]
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

Hey Beren - you have $20 I can borrow? [Wink]
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
Nice to see you around the Rack more, Shan. [Smile]

Yes, this compliment means I don't have any money for you.

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

Jeesh - talk about back-handed compliments.

[Razz]

Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I am just sarcastic through and through...I thought she was being flippant. [Big Grin]

As she usually is.... [Razz]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.