FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » PSA- Defective Space Above and Beyond Boxed Sets at Best Buy

Author Topic: PSA- Defective Space Above and Beyond Boxed Sets at Best Buy
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Best Buy appears to have some stock of defective Space Above and Beyond boxed sets. We purchased one on Saturday along with the Firefly set. ($20 off if you bought both) Anyway, we watched the pilot epsiode of Space... no problem. On the second episode (same DVD) all of a sudden the DVD started hiccuping, and freezing. Took the DVD out, and there were small dots in a swath across the DVD itself. Clearly a defect in the DVD itself, not an accidental scratch.

Yesterday Steve returned the set to Best Buy. They exchanged it. He examined the DVDs in that set on the premises and saw the same dot pattern on 1st disc. Their own DVD system was down, so they said, well go home and try it and bring it back if it doesn't work. He was kind of ticked but did as they requested. Again it glitched in the 2nd episode. Took it back *again*. This time he insisted on opening sets until finding one without defective DVDs. There were some good ones. Don't know how big of a problem it will be nationwide, or if it was just an isolated lot.

Either way if you do buy the boxed set, make sure you keep the receipt until you *know* the episodes are viewable.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't know that was out. Off to Best Buy.

But I'll be careful.

Thanks for the heads up and the warning, AJ.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
*screams loudly*
Oh my gosh!!! WOOHOO! I didn't know it was out either.

Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged
Member # 7476

- posted      Profile for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged   Email Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh...My...Gosh....Space Above and Beyond has a boxset? I can't believe it....I'm soooo happy...You don't know how long I've been waiting for this to happen. For the longest I never thought it would come true.
Posts: 796 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Now we need the rest of the series cancelled too soon by Fox.

Starting with Brisco County, Jr.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
you'll have to look but if you buy two box sets together you get $20 off at the register. I believe it is detailed more explicitly online but the offer still applies at brick and mortar stores.

aJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
I had that problem with Buffy Boxed sets from Buy.com. I had 2 seasons that were bad and one of the seasons had to go back twice to get a good one. That was one of the reasons that I changed from buy.com to amazon.com

I did have a problem with the Back to the Future trilogy from Best Buy...but after replacing it once it was fine. That is one good thing about a brick and mortar store, it is much easier to replace defective DVDs.

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Human
Member # 2985

- posted      Profile for Human   Email Human         Edit/Delete Post 
This isn't necessarily a defect--but if you look at the episode selection screen for the disks, I believe, up in the upper right hand corner of the screen; among the images of fighter jets and such is a space station. The space station is very obviously Babylon 5, which is odd--'cause they're not remotely related.
Posts: 3658 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
naledge
Member # 392

- posted      Profile for naledge   Email naledge         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep,

Had the same problem with my boxed set. I still need to take it back and exchange for a better one, but not before I watch my favorite episode "The Angriest Angel" [Smile]

*sigh*-damn I missed that series

Posts: 155 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.