FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Talk Radio

Author Topic: Talk Radio
Presences
Member # 8492

- posted      Profile for Presences           Edit/Delete Post 
I’m freakin addicted to Sean Hannity. Yes, I am Republican, but no, I do not hate and despise you democrats as Sean does. I do think that Sean balances to scales however, because there are an awfully lot of democrats doing the same thing that Sean does. The only differences are the democrats who scorn the republicans are prominent democrats, H. Clinton, Rev. Jackson, and that one Kennedy. I really do not hear to many prominent republicans scorn their fellow rivals.

Anyway, I want to know if there is anyone out there doing what I do with talk radio. I used to listen to Dr. Laura and our ever-admired Rush just to hone my debate skills. I would form rebuttals to disproof their unbelievable ideas! Doing this would teach me patience, wish I could kill myself, and heaven forbid, sometimes even wish….that I were Democrat!

Bill O'Reilly I like. I would really like it if our old buddy Pres Clinton has a Radio spot, or better yet, a TV show, I kinda liked the guy.

What are your takes on Talk Radio?

Posts: 82 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
narrativium
Member # 3230

- posted      Profile for narrativium           Edit/Delete Post 
Most talk radio is awful. It's usually just a bunch of partisan idiots ranting about how the other side is so awful, without much actual discussion of news or issues.
Posts: 1357 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I do not hate and despise you democrats as Sean does. I do think that Sean balances to scales however, because there are an awfully lot of democrats doing the same thing that Sean does. The only differences are the democrats who scorn the republicans are prominent democrats, H. Clinton, Rev. Jackson, and that one Kennedy. I really do not hear to many prominent republicans scorn their fellow rivals.

*wince* I've entered into a 12-step program to avoid getting sucked into threads like this.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Which step is this?
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm admitting that I have a problem.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
narrativium
Member # 3230

- posted      Profile for narrativium           Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, good ol' step one. Good luck, Tom.
Posts: 1357 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parsimony
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for Parsimony           Edit/Delete Post 
I can't stand most talk radio. On occassion, I listen to things just to see how bad they are. Other than that, the only person I listen to is Glenn Beck. At least Beck says outrageous things with the intent to cause laughter, rather than as a serious debate. Also, his show is far, far less political than the others. Why waste all the good joke time on politicians? There are so many other people worthy of being laughed at.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 367 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Talk radio is good for car trips. Music radio is good for housework and general background noise.

I like quite a few of the local talking heads (Dorry Monson is my current fave), but have less patience for the nationally syndicated ones.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
I like talk radio where you can actually sense some kind of true comradery between the voices, rather than a bunch of idiots who spout written lines between pre-recorded bits and lame sound effects.

If I'm in the mood for a little banter in the mornings, I typically listen to couple of local guys named Bob and Brian (not to be confused with the idiotic show Bob and Tom). They're very unpolished and let themselves wander from topic to topic, just kind of talking and laughing and making referential jokes. They talk just like my friends and I do around a table- so it's not so bad to have on my ride to work.

While their laid-back attitude can be refreshing, there are a lot of times where I'm in a much more serious mood. On those days, I just listen to NPR.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
I listen to almost nothing but talk radio, but much of that is sports talk. I hate Jim Rome, but his show is on while I'm at work, so I don't have to listen to him anyway. My favorite is "Papa" Joe Chevalier, who used to have a nationally syndicated show, but for the past year has been local to Las Vegas (although he's about to start going national again). I also like Colin Cowherd on ESPN radio, and some of the other local Vegas sports talk.

Occasionally, if there's no interesting sports talk, I will listen to Hannity or O'Reilly, but mostly just for annoyance value. I am entertained by idiots, I guess.

Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

quote:

I am entertained by idiots, I guess.

Well, you DO listen to sports radio.
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I mostly listen to sports radio in the car. In the morning, we have a show hosted by Dan Sileo, a former Tampa Bay Buccaneer and Miami Hurricane. (I think he may have also played for Dallas, but I'm not sure.) He's pretty insightful and inciteful as well, so even when I don't agree with him I find him entertaining. In the afternoon I like listening to Terry Bowden. When I'm getting dressed, I listen to a morning show on an adult contemporary station here. I kind of like their chatter for the same sorts of reasons PC mentioned. I feel like I'm hanging out with some funny, good conversationalists.

When nothing worthwhile is on, I admit I will listen to AM political talk. [Embarrassed] I can usually take Hannity for about five minutes before I am too repulsed to listen further. Dr. Laura I can stand for maybe fifteen minutes, depending on how adversarial she is being.

(Like Tom, I will completely ignore the silly generalizations in the first post.)

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Palliard
Member # 8109

- posted      Profile for Palliard   Email Palliard         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't think of any one of the current batch of talking heads that has a particularly good grasp of reality. I used to listen to Rush Limbaugh because I thought he was funny, but that wore off fairly quickly. To me, Sean Hannity is lot like Al Franken: an overopinionated underinformed gasbag who is terribly unentertaining.

Overall I'd say talk radio echoes most other forms of popular entertainment: it's a vast desert wasteland, and the best stuff is in tiny oases you and I have never heard of except from a passing traveller.

Posts: 196 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irregardless
Member # 8529

- posted      Profile for Irregardless   Email Irregardless         Edit/Delete Post 
Sean Hannity may be well-intentioned, but he's just not very bright. A one-trick pony with almost no intellectual depth... sort of a right-wing Sean Penn. Limbaugh could talk circles around Sean in his sleep.

O'Reilly is a worthless, ignorant gasbag. He claims to be 'independent' but actually has no principles at all -- he just spouts whatever he thinks will go over with his audience, with a random curve ball thrown in from time to time.

Medved is good, but I hardly ever get to hear him.

Posts: 326 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow...listening to Rush Limbaugh made you wish you were a democrat????
Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
I too listened to Rush Limbaugh for a few brief weeks. I was a restaurant/bar narc and had to drive all over atlanta to various places. I would listen to Rush because he was on. His ridiculous over the top delivery made me chuckle for a few weeks, then i became outright repulsed by him and turned him off for good. I knew i loathed him for a reason, but i momentarily forgot what that reason was.

That's probably the only Talk show i've listened to in recent years.

Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkKnight
Member # 7536

- posted      Profile for DarkKnight   Email DarkKnight         Edit/Delete Post 
Glen Beck has some really hiliarious stuff on his show, I would put him up against Jon Stewart any day.
Posts: 1918 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I listen to most all of them just because it is something to listen to while driving, or while waiting around for my kids etc.

Bill O'Reilly I probably like the best of them, Sean is okay. Rush gets on my nerves quite quickly, so I can only listen to short bites of him at a time before I turn it off. Michael Savage is just absolutely bizarre -- I don't know who pays that guy to be on radio -- he is so extremist that I can't believe they let him talk.

But I prefer it when they have "guests" on the show and do a banter back and forth like a TV talk show, instead of just a running monologue. And some callers -- some callers just shouldn't be put on radio. They are painful to listen to try to spit out what they are attempting to say.

After writing all of this, I wonder why I still listen to talk radio....

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
I am waiting for the liberal/conservative debate talk show. It seems such an obviously popular draw, I wonder why no one hasn't done it yet.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

quote:

Glen Beck has some really hiliarious stuff on his show, I would put him up against Jon Stewart any day.

I would, too, but probably not for the same reason you would. [Smile]
DarkKnight
Member # 7536

- posted      Profile for DarkKnight   Email DarkKnight         Edit/Delete Post 
Beck also has a great live show he does that are sketches from his radio show. You would have to see them to be able to compare Stewart to him
Posts: 1918 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RynoW1
Member # 8365

- posted      Profile for RynoW1   Email RynoW1         Edit/Delete Post 
I consider myself in the middle somewhere leaning more traditional, but I was raised in a Democrat home (my mom took me to a Dukakis Rally when I was 10 :-)

I actually really enjoy Bill O'Reilly and listen to him when I can. I think his arguements are well thought out and have found most of those that HATE him are ones that dont really listen to him only get their info from bomb throwing newspapers or left wing sites. They almost never actually listen to all of what he has to say on an issue rather take snipets to smear. I also LOVE The Daily Show.

I have a hard time with a lot of hard right wingers too. Hannity and Limbaugh are so blinded by ideology that its painful at times.

I REALLY tried to want to like Air America but Al Frankin and crew I dont find funny AT ALL even though they really try to be. Plus, there are only so many ways you can say "Bush Sucks".

Just my 2 cents. [Smile]

Posts: 64 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parsimony
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for Parsimony           Edit/Delete Post 
While I love Glenn Beck and think he is hilarious, I am gonna give the win to Stewart in that contest. I've listened to hours and hours of Beck, and seen countless episodes of the Daily Show. I saw Beck's "On Ice" show and I've seen Stewart's stand-up. I've read Beck's magazine and Stewart's books. After all of that, I have to say that Stewart does them all better. Hands down.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 367 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent
Member # 7850

- posted      Profile for Kent   Email Kent         Edit/Delete Post 
Michael Medved is the smartest and most engaging conservative voice out there.
Posts: 231 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Does Car Talk count as talk radio? Because that's one of the best shows on any medium.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
Medved is good, but a little too... nice? ... for me.

I still find Limbaugh very entertaining most of the time.

I used to LOVE G. Gordon Liddy... smart, well educated, strongly opinionated and funny as hell.

I think the key to liking Limbaugh and Liddy is getting the note of self-mockery in what they do. Not to say that they aren't serious... but they certainly aren't entirely serious, even at their most angry. They are definitely both at their best when they are the most light hearted.

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.