FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The fall baseball thread (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The fall baseball thread
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, it's not playoff season quite yet, but... whee! Fun races going on in the American League!!
In the west, the Angels are 1.5 games up on Oakland. In central, the White Sox are 3.5 games up on Cleveland. And in the east... the Red Sox are half a game up on the Yankees.

Meanwhile, in the wild card race, Cleveland is only half a game ahead of the Yankees.

There's less than two weeks to go, the top 2 teams in each division are playing each other in the last week. (That is, Angels are playing Oakland, White Sox are playing Cleveland, Red Sox are playing the Yankees.)

Mmmmmm. [Smile]

(Oh yeah... I think there's something going on over in the National League with their wild card race, too [Wink] )

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Man, all I can say is that the AL East better be resolved, favorably, by the time I go to the 10/2 game at Fenway.

It's _killing_ me.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm hoping Boston's bats woke up last night and are going to stay awake.
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged
Member # 7476

- posted      Profile for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged   Email Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged         Edit/Delete Post 
Meanwhile in Philadelphia the fans continue to not care.
Posts: 796 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
camus
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for camus   Email camus         Edit/Delete Post 
...and Minnesota fans are trying to figure out which of the Wolves, Vikings, or Twins were the most disappointing this year.
Posts: 1256 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to the Red Sox game in Baltimore on Friday, and I'm just hoping that we can stay ahead of the Yankees. It's killing me! All this season, wee were ahead of the Yankees, and it would just be so devastating if we lost out to them in the last few days of season.
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goo Boy
Member # 7752

- posted      Profile for Goo Boy   Email Goo Boy         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
All this season, wee were ahead of the Yankees, and it would just be so devastating if we lost out to them in the last few days of season.
Or lost to them in the playoffs. Gee. what world that be like? [Roll Eyes] [Wink]

-o-

A-Rod should be the AL MVP. Anybody who says otherwise is just a Homer letting his (or her) loyalties interfere with his (or her) mental faculties.

That's all.

Posts: 289 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Or lost to them in the playoffs. Gee. what world that be like?
*pat pat*

*flees*

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goo Boy
Member # 7752

Hey mack: ½

[Cool]

Posts: 289 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
Baseball... *Loud snort.*

*Thinks of the stolen Ashes.*

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goo Boy
Member # 7752

[The Wave]
[The Wave]
[The Wave]

[Big Grin]

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zamphyr
Member # 6213

- posted      Profile for Zamphyr           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I'll be @ the Yankee/Oriole game tonight.

Hooray for $5 tickets [The Wave]

Posts: 349 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hmm216
Member # 8403

- posted      Profile for Hmm216   Email Hmm216         Edit/Delete Post 
YANKEES HEADING THE AL EAST!!!

[The Wave]

Posts: 218 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope you're all enjoying your little Banana sport. [Razz]
Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

It'll all turn around. The Red Sox are just leading the Yankees along, so that they think they'll have a chance. Come tomorrow they'll shock the world with their amazing skills, and come back out on top. That's my prediction.

(Man I wish we had a smiley that was in prayer. I could definitely use that right now.)

Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

I really don't think the Sox pitching is strong enough. [Frown]

*stabs jonathan*

Bokonon
Member # 480

Better than that sport where you spend 2 days trying to bounce a ball at a bunch of pecariously placed tinker toys, Jon.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
My Nats are just about out of it, so I can't really care much more.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

How about 95 mph balls that move in the air, slow down before hitting the ground, change direction, take off quickly, and then swerve in the air once more?
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you D-Rays.

Love,

The Yankees

Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

Tinker toys, Jon, tinker toys [Smile]

-Bok

mackillian
Member # 586

quote:
How about 95 mph balls that move in the air, slow down before hitting the ground, change direction, take off quickly, and then swerve in the air once more?
Magic. [Smile]
Bokonon
Member # 480

Jon: Also, any pitch thrown by the Tampa Bay D-Rays Kazmir [Smile]

-Bok

Hmm216
Member # 8403

quote:
Originally posted by Evie3217:
It'll all turn around. The Red Sox are just leading the Yankees along, so that they think they'll have a chance. Come tomorrow they'll shock the world with their amazing skills, and come back out on top. That's my prediction.

(Man I wish we had a smiley that was in prayer. I could definitely use that right now.)

You really could use those prayers now, once the Yankees get rollin' they are unbeatable.

Unless the Redsox can win the wild card, [Wave] playoffs!

(((knocks on wood)))

(Dont want to jinx my Yankees)

Posts: 218 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

quote:
Originally posted by mackillian:
quote:
Magic. [Smile]
Wrong. If you can combine spin and swing (of course, it takes a lot of talent), then it can happen. Obviously, if it's 95 mph it won't spin much, but you can swing it heavily to swerve in the air twice, and change direction after hitting the pitch.

And don't forget that weather has an effect too.

mackillian
Member # 586

quote:
Wrong. If you can combine spin and swing (of course, it takes a lot of talent), then it can happen. Obviously, if it's 95 mph it won't spin much, but you can swing it heavily to swerve in the air twice, and change direction after hitting the pitch.

And don't forget that weather has an effect too.

No, no, no. You totally don't understand. It's magic. [Big Grin]
plaid
Member # 2393

quote:
I really don't think the Sox pitching is strong enough. [Frown]
mac, I don't know about the Sox, but the Yankees' pitching has been WAY inconsistent this year (lots of injuries). Unless the Yankees pitching is totally solid from now on, it could come down to the last Sox-Yankees series and both teams pitching badly and then it all being settled by which team hits the most homers...
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

plaid, that very well could be what happens. And there's not much precedent for any team with inconsistent pitching to win the series.
Hmm216
Member # 8403

I am a huge Yankees fan, but I have to say Cleveland is playing some great baseball!!
plaid
Member # 2393

Woo! Yankees and Red Sox tied for first, 7 games left...

My current wish = Yankees and Sox tie for first in the East; then they have to do a one-game playoff to determine who wins the division, but the loser still picks up the Wild Card... and then we get to have another Yankees-Sox playoff.

Y'know, the Yankees and Sox just don't get to play each other enough. I think they should play all 162 games against each other... [Big Grin]

Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
LOL
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hmm216
Member # 8403

quote:
Originally posted by plaid:
Woo! Yankees and Red Sox tied for first, 7 games left...

My current wish = Yankees and Sox tie for first in the East; then they have to do a one-game playoff to determine who wins the division, but the loser still picks up the Wild Card... and then we get to have another Yankees-Sox playoff.

Y'know, the Yankees and Sox just don't get to play each other enough. I think they should play all 162 games against each other... [Big Grin]

That would be awesome! Probably wont happen, but awesome.
Bokonon
Member # 480

Well, between the one-game playoff (played in NY this year, which was decided by a coin-flip a couple weeks ago), and the NY-Boston re-rematch, they would both have to beat one of the winners of the other divisions. And right now both teams are a game or so back in the widlcard, so personally, I'm rooting against Cleveland at every opportunity.

Oh, and did I mention I have tickets to the Red Sox/Yankees last game of the season??? Is it too much to ask for the Yanks to lose the rest of their games, and the Sox to win all theirs, so I don't have a coronary?

-Bok

mackillian
Member # 586

Bok, who did you have to kill to get tickets to that game?

...and as much as I love the Sox/Yanks rivalry, I think all 162 games would be pushing it. Way too stressful.

Bokonon
Member # 480

I entered the pre-season raffles on redsox.com. This year they had 3:

1) Green Monster Seats
2) RF Roof Seats
3) Red Sox Yankees

The way it works is they select a set of people for each. These people are given a 2-3 hour window (which is effectively 20 minutes, because everyone is waiting to pounce wt the start) on a certain date, where they are given the opportunity to by tickets in these sections or for these games. That said, you are given a max 4 tickets to buy, and even in that case, they over-select numbers, so you can get screwed out of seats (which happened to me 2 years ago for RF Roof seats). That, and the fact their web server slows to a crawl, can mean you don't get any tickets.

I, however, was able to get 4 tickets.

We were in PA at the time, visiting friends, but fortunately for us, the boyfriend of one of our friends was a Sox fan, and had no problem letting us take an hour out of the middle of the day to use his system to set up and go for the tickets. Of course, those two are the people going with us to the game [Smile]

-Bok

plaid
Member # 2393

Not counting tonight's games yet, the Yankees, Red Sox, and Cleveland all have the same record -- 94-62 -- with 6 games left! Woo!!
Frisco
Member # 3765

Actually, they're all 92-64. [Razz] But the Sox are leading in the 4th, and the Yanks and Indians are losing at the moment.
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Then again, the Yankees won tonight, and the Red Sox and Indians are losing.

[Smile]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Wake me up when you figure out which team is going to lose to the Cardinals.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Plan on sleeping forever, do you?
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

OK, if I got my stats right this time:

After Thursday's games, Yankees lead the AL East (and the Wild Card race) by 1 game, 94-65.

Boston's 1 game behind, 93-66, and Cleveland's ALSO 93-66.

Yankees and Red Sox play their last 3 games starting Friday; Cleveland's playing the White Sox.

Funnest possible outcome = if the Red Sox win 2, and Cleveland wins 2... then ALL 3 teams would end up with a 95-67 record... wonder what the hell sort of playoffs would be needed to sort out the AL East winner and the Wild Card winner...

Woo! Have fun Sunday, Bok!! [Big Grin]

Evie3217
Member # 5426

This is the most gut wrenching season yet! The Red Sox just barely won tonight, and they play the yankees next. And I can't watch, as I'm in DC! It's times like these that I wish I had gone to school in Boston!
Frisco
Member # 3765

If all three teams end the season with identical records, Boston plays a one-game playoff at NY, then the loser would play Cleveland. NY would play in Cleveland, and Cleveland would play in Boston.
Icarus
Member # 3162

quote:
And I can't watch, as I'm in DC! It's times like these that I wish I had gone to school in Boston!
Got Broadband?

The most awesomest sports website ever is MLB.com. You can watch any single game, in its entirety, live (but only if it's not broadcast in your market) or after the fact for just $3.

You can also subscribe by the month or year.

I loves my MLB.com!

[Big Grin]

plaid
Member # 2393

Boston won last night... so far today the Yankees are winning 6-2, but it looks like it could be one of those big scoring games where the final score could be 11-10.

Cleveland lost last night, and today they're tied 0-0 in the fifth with Chicago.

If Cleveland loses both Saturday and Sunday, then the Yankees and Red Sox are both in... and if Cleveland loses one more, while the Yankees and Red Sox split the last 2 and end up tied, then the Yankees will win the AL East (since they've won the season series against the Red Sox), while the Red Sox would win the Wild Card...

Ack, Cleveland just scored a run. Stupid Cleveland...

Hmm216
Member # 8403

Actually, if the Yankees and Boston tie the AL east then they go to a tie breaking game at Yankee stadium Monday night.
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
Only if it matters for the wild card. If both teams get into the playoffs, the red sox and yankees will not play a tie-breaker.
Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hmm216
Member # 8403

Which I would love! I am crossing my fingers that Cleveland loses the next two games! Unfortunately Cleveland plays good ball, I guess we just have to watch and see!

This is so exciting!!

Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] [ROFL] [The Wave] [Party] [Group Hug]
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.