FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Regrets (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Regrets
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
This topic sparked something in my head, which led to me writing a fairly long topic on my Xanga (which is rare for me, because usually I just post snippets, jokes, or random images). I've quoted below the stuff most pertinent to this topic. Amanecer can feel free to disagree with me about #8 on the list, but it's my opinion. So here we go.

"1) Ever getting associated with Allison and her friends in 8th grade (she and her friends caused more blows to my self esteem and my state of mind than anyone else), 2) Starting the argument more or less that caused the break up beween Laura and I, 3) Starting the argument more or less that ended Emily and I's friendship (we were such good friends too and I was an argumentative idiot), 4) Not playing a sport at least one year in high school, 5) Not accepting as many offers to go out and do stuff in high school (mainly offers from Ethan and Grant), 6) Taking art over computer science in junior year, 7) Trying to be clever but just being a dork instead (I won't elaborate, but apparently it cost me some points on the social scale), 8) Not applying to Baylor, OU, or OSU, 9) Ever thinking that UTD was actually a competent school, and 10) Choosing UTD over UT due to monetary reasons."

Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Ever thinking that UTD was actually a competent school
UTD is extremely competent in computer science and engineering. It is reasonably compentent in the business school, mathematics, and natural sciences. It is not very competent in the arts & humanities department. That's why I'm double majoring- just a major in history would bore me to death. All of the money that goes into UTD comes from the surrounding IT businesses, it makes sense that this is the focus of the school.

*This is my 500th post. [Big Grin] *

Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
Well I was in Arts & Technology initially (that's what was used a second method of persuasion to get me here), and I found it to be rather incompetently run. I think you are right about things like CS, EE, and even business. UTD is fine there. I guess I'm just in the crappy part of the school.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Regrets? Bunches... there's the personal ones, like wishing I hadn't wasted my time so much in solitary dweebness as a teenager... wishing I'd been better prepared for college... wishing my health was better... but all those are things that I really didn't choose, so even though I regret them, I really can't blame myself for them.

Things I regret the most involve others. My brief, awful marriage that I hate to talk about. Both my mom and my dad dying suddenly, without me getting to say goodbye, without getting to know them better.

One of the ones that I regret the most was my ex-girlfriend's accident. Her hand was caught in a machine and she lost several fingers. Lots of what-ifs there, the biggest being that I would'be stopped by there in another 5 minutes for us to go on a walk together; if I'd gotten there early, the accident wouldn't have happened. The only way I can really deal with that one is to think -- like Amanecer -- about the Butterfly Effect, and wonder whether her losing some fingers then might've prevented her from somehow being in a more serious accident another time. (And, that accident made me -- and many others -- incredibly safety-conscious, and maybe that's prevented other accidents from happening.)

Life's way too short though, so it's better to think of what's ahead...

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rico
Member # 7533

- posted      Profile for Rico           Edit/Delete Post 
Where are all the moderators when you need them? I think most of the forum will agree with me when I say that Amanecer's posts are close to bordering on spam! I mean, come on, 500 posts in 3 years? Ridiculous!

[Big Grin]

Congrats on your 500 posts Amanecer! [Party]

Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
*double take*

huh? Who is this and where did that post come from?

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Belle -- I share your amazement. Maybe it is done in jest?

plaid -- I never knew you had been married at one time. But it is okay if you don't want to talk about it.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

- posted      Profile for whiskysunrise   Email whiskysunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
I try not to regret, because there isn't anything that you can do about it. Also the things you do help shape who you are today. So you would then need to ask yourself how much do I want to be someone else.
Posts: 747 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.