FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Rent!

Author Topic: Rent!
andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
Rent comes out on 11/22!!!!!!!!!! [Party]
Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hmm216
Member # 8403

- posted      Profile for Hmm216   Email Hmm216         Edit/Delete Post 
[Party]

(I hope you don't mind me joining in on your celebration!!)

Posts: 218 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

Join away!

[Party]

Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Astaril
Member # 7440

- posted      Profile for Astaril   Email Astaril         Edit/Delete Post 
Funny, my rent comes out on October 1st. And it's never a cause for celebration.
Posts: 624 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

NO NO! Rent--the movie based on the Broadway Play!! And they got all but two of the original actors back!

[The Wave]

Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]

I cried when I saw the trailer...

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Astaril
Member # 7440

I know, I know... [Wink]

I saw Rent a couple years ago on a tour. It was alright, but not on my favourite musicals list. However, I do recall really, really liking the one song Roger(?) sings about Glory (I think?). I should try and track down a copy of that.

Posts: 624 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

You can get the "highlights" CD. It's on there. It's cheaper than buying the 2 disk soundtrack too.
Raia
Member # 4700

If that's the only song you want, Astaril, I can send it to you... I have the 2-disc soundtrack. But if you want more songs than that, you should buy the CD, because they're great. [Smile]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

I listen to it in my car on the way to work.
Astaril
Member # 7440

Well, that was fast. I just got your email, Raia; thanks! I don't know how to play an .m4a file though. Does anyone?
andi330
Member # 8572

I am reviving this thread to let everyone know that the new full length trailer is available here.

[The Wave]

Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
Woohoo!
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
*sigh* Rent! the movie based on the Broadway Play based on La Boheme the Puccini opera, one of MANY operas based on La Vie de Bohème which first appeared as a story in a series of articles in a magazine, was adapted into a play and later published as a book.

Oy. I mean, I have been through this story so many times, it's going to have to be really, really good to be better than okay. Baz managed a passable re-tread, but... *sigh*

On the bright side, if it manages to be exactly like the play (and doesn't blow it with weird editing or something) it'll win an Oscar.

Yes, I'm a curmudgeon. *sigh*

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

Erm, I don't know how to do it, Astaril, sorry... I just ripped it from my CD, and that's what I got.
ifmyheartcouldbeat
Member # 8692

- posted      Profile for ifmyheartcouldbeat   Email ifmyheartcouldbeat         Edit/Delete Post 
The trailor alone convinced me it's going to be amazing... [Smile] can't wait !!
Posts: 82 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
esl
Member # 3143

- posted      Profile for esl   Email esl         Edit/Delete Post 
Astaril, I have the song in mp3.. emailed it to you.

Anyway, .m4a files play in itunes, iirc. itunes will also convert from m4a to mp3.

Posts: 1056 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
"December 24th, 9 p.m., Eastern Standard Time, from here on in I shoot without a script..."

...counting the days.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe how many wonderful movies come out in November.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
They plan it this way, so that nobody could ever get to see them all. *grumble*

Oh, and because Oscars are never awarded to superior films released in April, because the Academy has the attention span of a half-witted gnat.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

"In truths that she learned, or in times that he cried. In bridges she burned or the way that he died..."

One of the best lines in a song written for a musical ever.

Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it came out the 23rd, not the 22nd. Either way, I'll get to see if a few days early. Yay for working at a movie theatre! I also plan on making off with the poster.

Anyone heard the movie soundtrack yet? I'm still pissed about Christmas Bells being cut, but Halloween is there so I'm alright. Rosario really suprised me, I think I'm gonna like her as Mimi. I was never that fond of the original girl, so it wasn't a hard transition. Jesse L. Martin and Anthony Rapp both still sound amazing. Anthony sometimes sounds nearly identical to the OBC album. Idina still sounds pretty good but Tracie, who's taking over the part of Joanne, is amazing. I really love her in the part. Jeremia (sp?) is singing abit lower but that's to be expected. The guy who plays Roger, forgetting his name, sounds absolutely horrible. He's a poster child for why smoking is bad for singers. The real loser is Taye Diggs. He sounds asleep 99% of the time.

I'm getting really excited about this movie. I'm nervous cause its Columbus (god save us!) but I doubt even he could ruin RENT. I'm most excited about taking some friends who had never listened to Broadway before knowing me. I got one guy, hard-core rocker type, hooked on Avenue Q so I think RENT will be right up his alley.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

According to the message posted at the above site, the Larson family is very happy with the current project. They feel it stays true to their son's original vision.
Shanna
Member # 7900

That's what Douglas Adam's family said about H2G2 and that didn't go so well.
Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

quote:
Originally posted by Shanna:
That's what Douglas Adam's family said about H2G2 and that didn't go so well.

If you're talking about Hitchiker's Guide, Adams wrote most of the script. He also added the part that die hard fans didn't like, the part with the giant nose and the hanky and all of that himself before he passed away. If you read the intro to the books, he stated that he felt the story was a constant work in progress, and that there have never been two versions that were identical. The original radio show is different from the book, the book is different from the BBC TV show which is different from the American version etc.
andi330
Member # 8572

Regardless, this is about Rent!
Shanna
Member # 7900

My problem with Hitchhiker wasn't solely focused on the additions which I think Douglas might have reconsidered once he saw the final editting, but instead I took great disagreement with the mistreatment of multiple characters, the ending, the pacing, etc. But indeed, this isn't the time or place.

Columbus does very well at staying loyal to original material. We saw that with Harry Potter. But the material in RENT could very easily make it Oscar-worthy but its not gonna happen under Columbus' direction. The man has zero vision. I'm expecting the film to be a wonderful ride and a chance for me to enjoy the show since I can't get myself to NYC, but it won't be everything I dreamed of.

Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Everything is Rent!
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

Rent! Rent! Rent! Rent! Rent!
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
*totally has the soundtrack*
Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps it would be more appropriate to wait until it comes out on video and then RENT it?
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

Why must someone make that joke every time there's a thread about Rent?

No, I'm totally the first in line for my movie theatre ticket. [Big Grin]

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Raia:

Because I'm an insufferable wiseacre, that's why. [Taunt]
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

Ohhhh. [Roll Eyes]
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Duh!! I was trying to watch the trailer and couldn't figure out why there was no sound . . . system volume adjusted, realplayer volume adjusted, still nothing. Oh no! This is a musical! There must be sound!

Hmmm . . . maybe it has something to do with the fact that I disconnected the speakers from my desktop the other day so I could attach them to my laptop!

*going to find speakers and hook them up*
In the meantime--thanks to andi330 to posting the link for the trailer. I went to the movies (a rare occurrence) about a month ago and my friend talked all the way through the trailer for Rent!

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What tante said, but also because it's kind of a silly title. What was wrong with La Boheme, I'd like to know?

[Big Grin]

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
divaesefani
Member # 3763

- posted      Profile for divaesefani   Email divaesefani         Edit/Delete Post 
The film's finally got a rating. PG-13.

[The Wave]

Posts: 161 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

quote:
Originally posted by Megan:
[QUOTE]What was wrong with La Boheme, I'd like to know?

[Big Grin]

Erm... No Adam Pascal.

Duh. [Razz]

Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
There are a few codeces that allow mp4's to be played...

Here is a link to a codex that I think I use . . . I can't remember for sure, it doesn't come up much. [Big Grin]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I think, from info I found, that quicktime will play mp4's, but that might just be video, I am not sure.

Weird that a song was ripped from a CD in mp4 format...

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nato
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for Nato   Email Nato         Edit/Delete Post 
Quicktime will play mp4/m4a files just fine.

It's not very surprising that it ended up in that format, because I believe it's the default for iTunes.

The plug-in you pointed to there does work to allow playback of those files in Windows Media Player. Other players, such as Winamp come with mp4 functionality out-of-the-box, so to speak.

All that aside, I've never had much appreciation for Chris Columbus' work, and I hope he can redeem himself with this, but I'm still saddened to see him working on it.

Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

- posted      Profile for Princess Leah   Email Princess Leah         Edit/Delete Post 
Note: just because it's a musical doesn't mean you have to add an exclamation mark. It's "Rent". Not "RENT!". The tradition of gratuitous !!!!! in musical theatre must end. Now. I am starting a campagine. Follow me, those who dare. [Big Grin]
Posts: 866 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odouls268
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for odouls268   Email odouls268         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Rent
...is very expensive in San Diego
Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
PG-13?
What about all the swear words?

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

Most of the swear words are still there. All the f-words in the musicals are there atleast. Apparently, the context the words are used in (as swearing, not as verbs) means they can get by with a PG-13 rating. I was suprised too but it'll make it available to a wider audience.

The first trailer on tv aired last night on NBC during The Biggest Loser. It was really exciting. It means its almost here!

Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
WAH! WAH! WAH! WAHOO!

May I suggest an Atlanta-clump outing this November?

And Telp: I dunno. If they clean up Tango Maureen and La Vie Boheme alone, they lose a lot.

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

Oh, they are not clean at all!! La Vie Boheme is there in all its intellectual vulgar glory. And Tango Maureen is gonna be one of my favorite scenes.

I'm so excited!

Besides, I get to see it early. That's the one reason I'm not quitting my job over Thanksgiving. Yay for movie theatre screenings and free posters.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.