FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I broke my tailbone tonight

Author Topic: I broke my tailbone tonight
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
I broke my tailbone way back in highschool. I didn't know it was broken because though I was in pain, it wasn't "unbearable" as I thought all bone-breaking pain was supposed to be. Though I suffered for years after that, unable to sit for long or in certain positions, it took me a long time to admit to myself that, yes, I had broken it.

I may have re-broken it with the birth of my first child. I had an epidural then, but I noticed being sore there all of a sudden again.

In fact, it was only within the last year or so that I bothered to check and was shocked to find that my tailbone had healed clear over to one side (can't remember which side now.)

Well, I fell tonight and broke it again.

I know they say there is nothing that you can do for a broken tailbone. But surely there are little things I can do to help and ease discomfort.

But I am also wondering, might I have a second chance to have my tailbone heal aligned properly? What might I do to help ensure that?

Also, what reprocussions could this have on my desire to have natural childbirth again? I don't want to feel my tailbone breaking as I give birth. I am scared now.

Anyone know about how long it takes for it to heal? It probably isn't a terribly bad break, but I can't know for sure.

Any advice, experiences, whatever would be much appreciated. [Smile]

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Get Porter to snap it back in place?
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to hear that, it must hurt.

Talk to your doctor about options, but unless you broke it in exactly the same place, in order to realign it, they'd probably have to break it again like with other bone fractures that aren't set properly.

Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
That sounds horrible. [Frown] I don't know anything that could help, but you certainly have my sympathy. ((((Beverly))))
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

quote:
Get Porter to snap it back in place?
>.<
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Ouch. I did that when Emma was born-- I think. (It might have just been cracked or severely bruised or something.) They didn't listen to me when I told them it was not "that" that hurt, it was further back. I had to figure it out on my own. >_< Anyway, I sympathize. Sitting on a memory foam pillow helps.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I think there are also exercises you can do-- talk to your doctor.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Awwww... [Frown]
Take care of yourself babes!
*hugs*

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Treason
Member # 7587

- posted      Profile for Treason   Email Treason         Edit/Delete Post 
[Hail] I really admire you for sounding so calm.
If I broke my tailbone I would be freaking out right about now! Hope it heals quick!

Posts: 870 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I've knocked my tailbone rather severely. I didn't tell anyone about it although it was difficult walking for the next few days or weeks (I forget which). Perhaps I cracked it, or something... I never even thought about that!

I hope yours heals quickly and that you can find ways to get around the pain, which I remember being quite bad. [Frown]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Bev, I'm so sorry to hear that! Lots of muscles anchor at that point, don't they? How well are you able to walk without being in pain?

Hopefully Theca will be able to give you some information (Sara would be good too, but this is probably something a GP would be better versed in than a pediatrician).

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, it just so happens my ex-nurse, Melissa, broke her tailbone last year. Fell on a boat. Her little five year old was quite concerned and went around telling everyone, "Mommy broke her butt." I still tease her about that.

Melissa needed a week off work, the pain was so bad. Then she had significant pain for several weeks. It healed pretty well after that. I think she used a nice blow-up donut shaped chair pad to sit on. It seemed to really help the first week or two.

I'm not sure about the specifics on tailbone fracture outcomes, I'll do some checking. It won't be for a few hours, though, Rita's eyewall is two hours south of my parents house at the moment and I'm a little distracted.

Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

quote:
"Mommy broke her butt."
[ROFL]

I stayed in bed as long as I could let myself this morning. The pain is so much worse now than last night. Funny, right after falling, I had very little pain, and the pain slowly got worse and worse. Now I am wondering what on earth I am going to do about all the responsibilities I have this week. We have guests coming from out of town, a messy house that I'm going to be all embarrassed about if I can't get it clean, shopping to do, Pack Meeting to prepare for and carry out in a few days... and the list goes on, of course.

I know I need to get Porter's help, but I'm one of those silly independant people who hates asking for help. After I've asked for several things, I tend to get tired of asking and start doing stuff on my own. But I'm in enough pain right now that I think I might humble myself a little more today. [Smile] [Frown]

The funny thing is, if I sit on a *hard* chair and sit forward, I am totally fine. If I sit or lay on something soft, @#%$#& freakin' OUCH!

I checked last night, and my tailbone curves *way* to the left. I fell on my right side, probably pushing it further left. I don't even want to think abut trying to "set" it. [Frown]

pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
You might want to get with a D.O. on it. I know a guy down there in Provo. I'll PM you.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Thanks, Trisha. [Smile] Actually, my doctor lives in my neighborhood, but I feel like it is inappropriate for me to call her in any other capacity but in the office.

quote:
Bev, I'm so sorry to hear that! Lots of muscles anchor at that point, don't they?
You know, that is my understanding as well. I've heard of people who have their tailbones removed entirely in hopes to overcome chronic pain. I've heard that quite often it doesn't help like they are hoping and causes more problems. I guess there is just no easy answer.

Sitting or standing still I'm OK. Walking hurts a lot more now than last night, and bending over is agony. A sudden shift to the side is far worse.

Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
(((Bev)))

I'm sorry! [Frown] Seriously, though - you're pregnant with a broken tailbone? Ask Porter for help even though you hate it and don't worry about the housework - believe me, guests are going to understand! Take a break and get some rest. Healing is awful hard work if your body is exhausted.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

I went to an InstaCare doctor. It is soooo good to have family nearby! Porter took our boy to his gymnastics class, my mom-in-law took the other two to her house where my bro-in-law watched them, and she took me to the doctor.

It is the doctor's opinion that since I didn't fall directly on my tailbone, I probably didn't actually break it. She also talked about how the tailbone often heals in a "flimsy" way, connected by fibrous tissue but still flexible--often causing pain. (My tailbone has never stopped bothering me after that fall in high school--but I have learned to work around it.)

Since I am pretty sure I broke my tailbone back then (bad enough that it is skewed way to the left) I think it is possible that I have one of these "incomplete" bone sets--and that possibly that fibrous tissue got torn and traumatized when I fell. That would explain the extreme pain if my tailbone is ever jostled to the side--it is bending slightly and pulling on traumatized tissue in the process.

Maybe it will heal faster than a break would. But this hurts far more than when I actually broke it all those years ago.

The baby has a good strong heartbeat and good movement, but I am to watch for any bleeding and immediately go in for a stress test in case the lil' one was damaged in some way. I feel confident that the baby is fine--but I will watch for any bad signs nonetheless.

pooka
Member # 5003

(((bev)))

I guess we should have the billtmas at a park for sure, eh?

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
The funny thing is, if I sit on a *hard* chair and sit forward, I am totally fine. If I sit or lay on something soft, @#%$#& freakin' OUCH!

Yup. I was the same way. Really, a memory foam pillow on that chair helps.
beverly
Member # 6246

Pooka, I am crossing my fingers and hoping that this coming Friday I will be feeling better.

*hopes*

KQ, maybe I should try that. Porter and I both sleep in memory foam pillows (and love them!) I am afraid, though, since sitting on soft chairs seems to cause me a lot of pain.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I know. I discovered it by accident, trying to prop myself into a better position in the car on a road trip. It doesn't feel like a soft surface, especially if you put it on a hard chair. And it really can relieve some of the pressure.
pooka
Member # 5003

The odd thing people don't realize about soft surfaces is that they cause your muscles to have to engage in order to keep your bones in place. That's why sleeping on a very firm bed can actually be more restful than sleeping on a soft one. But the memory foam is suppose do combine give with immobility, so it could work.
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
I heard they have people sit in these kind of inner tube thingies in the hospital sometimes while their arse bone is mending.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
*sends some warm fuzzies*
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miriya
Member # 7822

- posted      Profile for Miriya   Email Miriya         Edit/Delete Post 
Ack! I think I was in junior high school when a friend wanted to go roller skating (hmmm i'm dating myself here). Fool that I was I tried it and both my feet rolled away and I landed squarely on my bottom. I have always been convinced that I cracked or broke my tailbone. I couldn't sit comfortably for over a year and it twinged with some movements. That sucks. I hope you heal up quickly.

I second the pillow on a firm chair thing from KQ. That also worked for me. I will mention that it didn't give me any problems with childbirth later on, including one instance of back labour where my baby actually emerged posterior.

Of course I didn't reinjure it while pregnant but maybe you'll heal up in time. Here's hoping. ((beverly))

Posts: 251 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
forgot
Member # 8647

- posted      Profile for forgot           Edit/Delete Post 
With the birth of my first baby, the doctor purposely broke my tail-bone. With each birth after, my tail-bone was broken. (Large family).
The only long-term problem you will have is that (as with most injuries), it will hurt occasionally. Who knows, maybe you'll be able to predict the weather with your bottomus. Also, arthritis of the tail-bone.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by beverly:
I don't even want to think abut trying to "set" it. [Frown]

I had a bone reset once, without any anesthetic. It's not as bad as you'd think. Of course, that was my thumb; a tailbone might hurt a lot worse.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
Poor bev! Take care of yourself, and let people help you out!
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, I assumed you knew for sure you had rebroken it. From what I saw there are certain types of fractures, if displaced, that need surgery. Most don't. Some sites suggested limitations on weight bearing activity. Some sites discussed corset use... I know nothing about that.

I do suggest you go to a medical supply store and try out the donut or ring pillow.

Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

No, Theaca, I don't really know whether or not I rebroke it, and they can't do X-rays on me with me being preggers. (They were going to, until I quickly explained my condition. [Wink] ) I assumed I rebroke it because it hurts worse than when I did. [Wink]

I am hesitant to purchase a donut cushion. I tried sitting on memory foam in the car today, and it just hurt worse than finding a position that "works" in the car chair and staying still. Since I am quite comfortable as long as the chair is hard or at least very firm, I think a donut cushion is probably unnecessary and might even be slightly less comfy.

It is good to know that I can sit with little-to-no discomfort, but moving around is still a big limitation.

Thanks for the kind words and advice. I am hoping that as the swelling goes down I will be feeling much better.

Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck bev... I just now saw this and I hope everything heals well...
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't be the only one thinking "What a pain in the (well, you know)".

Feel better, Bev!

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Ouch! *gentle hug*

Feel better, and give yourself time to heal, bev. [Smile]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I did that falling on a step...I landed right on a cement step...when I was about 15.

Not a good thing.

Hope you feel better, bev! [Big Grin]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toretha
Member # 2233

- posted      Profile for Toretha   Email Toretha         Edit/Delete Post 
donut cushions help. If possible (dunno if this would work for you) try to sit with your legs curled up to one side, so the pressure of sitting is transferred to the side of one of your thighs instead. This is my normal sitting position (I have a condition which is like having a permenantly broken tailbone) and I find it really helps.
Posts: 3493 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.