FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Thought I'd share some stabbing

Author Topic: Thought I'd share some stabbing
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
some pics from last weekend's fencing tourney
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Ow, my skin!
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
SWORDED!
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Mack, forgive my ignorance, but what are those big wires sticking out of your butt? Don't they have wireless remote control, yet?
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Wahoo!

Oh, and I NEED YOU to take pictures!

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
So, um, email me. *kick*
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
Wires sticking out of her butt? Considering Mack is taking the pictures herself that would suggest a fairly large butt...
Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the wires have something to do with the scoring system - I'm not too clear on how it works, but I believe the protective vests fencers wear also have electronic sensors in them, so that when they're hit, it gets recorded.
Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

The wires have to do with the scoring system. Currently, the only wireless system is 1)Incredibly expensive and 2) only set up for saber (there are three weapons in fencing--saber, epee, and foil. Foil is what's in the pics, aside from the last few).

We wear a conductive vest called a "lame" (la-MAY). The wires sticking out of our butts are composed of the body cord and the score box reel cord. The body cord has an alligator clip that clips to the bottom of the lame, then another plug that goes into a socket located under the bellguard of the weapon. The socket connects the wire in the weapon to the weapon's tip, which has a tiny button. When the tip is depressed on an opponent's lame, it closes the circuit and triggers the light on the scoring box to signal a touch.

The lames aren't protective at all. Instead, it's our jackets that are protective (made of material that can withstand 350 Newtons or 800 Newtons) and an under-arm protector (which actually protects the upper arm, shoulder, chest, and armpit of your sword-arm) worn underneath the jacket. The protector also is either 350N or 800N.

Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm confused about this. What's the difference between foil and epee?
Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Father Time
Member # 7985

- posted      Profile for Father Time   Email Father Time         Edit/Delete Post 
Confused? To me they all look alike.
Posts: 56 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

- posted      Profile for unicornwhisperer   Email unicornwhisperer         Edit/Delete Post 
Wish I knew how to fence...
Posts: 1417 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Epee and foil look alot alike but the Epee is usually a bit stiffer. The big difference is in the rules. Rules for foil are fairly complicated. A hit only counts as a point if it is made on the torso and made in the proper order. In Epee, anything goes.

Saber is my husbands favorite sport. He likes slashing.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I will, Mack! I am computer-time-deficient right now. But next weekend, I might be at a campground in NH. Maybe we could meet there? Email sort of on the way!
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

Here you go:

Epee
Foil
Saber

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.