FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » My new hat gives me a sense of inner peace

Author Topic: My new hat gives me a sense of inner peace
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, my new hat sure gives me a feeling of calmness, tranquility, composure, and stillness. I might even go so far as to say "serenity"

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool.

[Big Grin] .

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Astaril
Member # 7440

- posted      Profile for Astaril   Email Astaril         Edit/Delete Post 
I dearly hope you're going to wear that to the movie when you go.
Posts: 624 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Because it's not hard enough to see the screen without all the tall men wearing pom poms on top of their heads. Oh, and thanks for the sample. I'm glad to see your orange is not quite as mac and cheese orange as some of the ones I have seen on line. Then again, my monitor may be maladjusted.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Dude, I feel calmer and more serene just looking at that hat.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm THIS CLOSE to finishing my brown suede frock coat, and the damn bobbin mechanism on the sewing machine jams! [Cry] It's at the repair shop now, I hope hope hope they can fix it quickly so I can finish my coat in time for Friday!
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

Do you roll the ribbing or not? I'm trying to figure this thingy out. I guess I could check the online pattern again. You can never check the pattern too often.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

We think the two orange parts turned out just about perfect, but the earflaps are a bit too dark. After watching the episode again (and especially the easter egg on disc 4) it looks like the earflaps should be a bit more brown and not so maroon.

Do not ask me anything technical about knitting the hat though. I did not do it. It is, appropriately, from my mother. [Wave]

Oh, and of course I'm wearing it to the movie! But I'll probably take it off before it actually starts. (Though a nice hat might keep people from sitting behind me and kicking my seat for once!)

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KrabbyPatty
Member # 7055

- posted      Profile for KrabbyPatty   Email KrabbyPatty         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish I'd been able to find the Easter Egg on the dvd before I bought the yarn. I would have chosen a different color for the earflaps. The other two colors are, IMHO, perfect.

FYI - It was knit with a double strand of Reynolds Lite-Lopi, size 10.5 (US) needles, and I cast on 70 stitches. Otherwise, I followed the pattern. 56 stitches didn't look like it would go around anyone's head (not anyone in my family, anyway).

Edit: Guess I'm a bit pokey.

Posts: 113 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Mine's almost done. [Smile] She just has to finish the earflaps and attach the pom-pom.

And in stadium seating theaters with high-backed chairs, I don't think the pom-pom would even get in anyone's line of sight. Still probably polite to take it off, though.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

I went through that same thing. I think they are using some kind of really big yarn. I'm using #9 needles, and I basically learned to knit from the internet to do this project. Though I never saw the show. I'm doing it in the name of all the ladies who are pregnant and wish they could do it. Okay, well that would be bev and Brinestone at any rate. But my husband will be home soon and I'll probably have to stop until this evening. So which of the three oranges on this site do you think would be right? The color I wound up with (which is a Lion brand Wool-ease) is closest to the plain orange, but it seems like a lot of the hats I've seen are more like a tangerine.
KrabbyPatty
Member # 7055

- posted      Profile for KrabbyPatty   Email KrabbyPatty         Edit/Delete Post 
The color I picked is more like a "burnt orange" color, although I don't think it really makes that much difference. It will be recognizable as a Jayne Cobb hat by anyone who has seen the show.

From that site, I think I'd have picked pumkin and honey gold for the hat and medium brown for the earflaps. Just going from the color descriptions with the pattern (orange, yellow and red????), I chose a color close to bronze color on your site. Oh, well, no one is complaining. Which is a good thing, or someone else would likely be wearing those hats!

Posts: 113 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Less with the typing, more with the knitting.

(I kid! You know I kid! [Smile] )

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Enigmatic, you look exactly like Ming the Merciless.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

That's because he's not afraid to strut.
ElJay
Member # 6358

You know, except for the whole white-as-a-marshmallow thing.
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

And the hat. [Smile]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
That hat is da bomb!
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

I agree. It's just not something Ming would probably wear as it doesn't really give off that 'evil' vibe that ruthless overlords strive so hard to cultivate.
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

quote:
Originally posted by Storm Saxon:
Enigmatic, you look exactly like Ming the Merciless.

pffft! No, I don't. But I used to.

(unfortunately, my facial hair is too wirey to be well tamed with moustache wax, so cultivating a proper fu manchu was a pain. Here's one without the goatee. )

--Enigmatic

Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
You looked a little ....hmm..out of it there.

As in you were about to get an attack of the munchies really soon. [Wink]

Cool hat, man. [Big Grin]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

I can only stand and quiver in mute jealousy in the presence of the awesomeness of your goatee, Enigmatic.

[Hail]

Enigmatic
Member # 7785

Yes yes, it is very hard to take pictures of me with my eyes open. I was kinda tired and trying to protrude my jaw in a tough, manly fashion as befitted the character... but I wound up looking stoned.

Thank you, Storm. [Blushing]

Now the real question is what else to wear to the movie. I don't think I have any particularly appropriate jackets or such. This bears thought.

--Enigmatic

Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
Enjoy the hat!
Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
May I say that that is a righteously huge beard. Well done.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
There was a guy opening night at Revenge of the Sith (yes I am a geek who went to the midnight show...then again, I also work nights and don't usually go to bed until 3 a.m.) who had a hat with an anamatronic Yoda on top. He took it off before the movie started though. And it was stadium seating.

Being a very short woman, I try to avoid movie theatres that aren't stadium seating if I can. You have to be really tall to block someone's view in one of those places.

Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
"And if the person sitting in front of me is over 5'10", forget it. I can't see a thing. Halfway through I'm like, 'Mel Gibson's in this? Right on!'"

-David Spade.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh man I want one of those hats!
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I forgot to buy yarn to make one, oh well, I probably will eventually if any of my friends see this post and beg for one.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.