FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Where to go and where to stay in France?

Author Topic: Where to go and where to stay in France?
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
So. I'm doing my first *real* overseas trip. Jus and I just decided that we'd do our darndest to make it happen by the end of the year and good things seem to just keep ocurring to make it happen. I'm very excited.

I'll get to see my first white Christmas!

We'll be there through all of December, about half in France, half in Austria. Austria's sorted.

We're looking to spend more time in regional France than in say, Paris. I've been looking up little bed & breakfast places but we'll probably need to stay in some hostels along the way as well.

We could really use some advice on where would be nice to visit, particularly at that time of the year, and any inexpensive tips for accomodation in regional France.

Skiing isn't necessary - we'll do more of that in Austria - but ice-skating and toboggoning would be cool!

Damn I'm excited!

Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]

That's awesome! I haven't been to France in more than a decade, though, so I won't be much help. [Razz]

Added: Oh, and it's "toboggan."

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
wanna come to Luxembourg some time?
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Troub, do they still call you "Washer"?
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
The Alsace-Lorraine region, where Strasbourg, Mulhouse, and Nancy are located, is quite beautiful. I remember a bike ride we took from Luneville to the foot of the Vosges. Absolutely stunning country. Perhaps a little on the chilly side this time of year, though.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
I only know Provence. It was quite nice in September, but I thought even then I would rather have visited a few weeks earlier.
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Many many years ago, I visited France, and took a day trip to Versailles. I'll never forget the overheard remark from an English couple: "Money is wasted on the rich -- they have no taste." [ROFL]
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

- posted      Profile for Choobak   Email Choobak         Edit/Delete Post 
Bad English ! [Big Grin]

They don't understand the idea of Patrimoine.

I'll help you Troub for advice. I know one or two good places. [Wink] I post my answer soon.

Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
France in the wintertime is beautiful! My favorite parts of france are the southern and western areas, but that's probaby because that's where I've spent most of my time. Grenoble, Chambery and Annecy are all beautiful cities in the french alps. The Loire valley has incredible castles. My favorite city so far has been Colloiure a small Catalan town on the Mediterrrain, it's laid back, relaxed and beautiful! However when I travel, I like seeing beautiful scenery more than anything else.
Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
Want to organize a new Hatrack get-together? (asks the interested person who isn't real yet [Wink] )
If you want advices, it would help to know what you like when you visit a country.
Unfortunately (and ironically) I think I have more tips for someone willing to visit Queensland or Sydney or Melbourne [Wink]

[ September 27, 2005, 12:03 PM: Message edited by: Anna ]

Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you all!

We're taking all your advice on board - we're planning on heading down through Le Mans, Tours, Bourdeux, the Loire Valley and Toulouse before heading down to Barcelona. After which we'll probably catch a flight to Vienna where we'll be staying for a week or ten days or so.

Anna and Choobak a mini Hatrack-con in France would be cool!

Kama - I'm not sure we'll make it that far North, but if we do, I'll try and get in touch.

Tante - I heard just the other day that my little nephew *still* points to every plane that goes overhead and says "Washer!".

Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

When exactly would you be there? I'm not available around Christmas (obviously) but before or after would be sooooo cool!
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

Exact dates are fuzzy, but we should be in Paris by about the 4th or 5th of December and will be travelling around France until around the 14th or so.
Anna
Member # 2582

A week-end around those days would be perfect. [Smile]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.