FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Sending flowers

Author Topic: Sending flowers
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay - I'm going to sound stupid here, but I have never before had to send flowers out-of-state for a funeral.

So how do I go about doing that?

Do I go to a local florist, and pay them, and they send my order to a florist in the other state? Or do I call a florist in the other state, near where the funeral home is, and order them via phone and pay with credit card?

Or just what exactly is the best way to do this? I could use tips from others who have done long-distance flower sending...

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
If you do it through a local florist you will pay more for less flowers, 'cause they take their cut and the florist on the other end takes their cut. If you order on-line, you will pick from the same FTD set bouquets on every site. I use an online yellow-pages to find a florist in the town I'm sending flowers to and then call them. Generally if you talk to someone you can get a nice arrangement (or plant. I like sending plants) as a better deal than if you pick from an online catalog. *hugs*
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

How much before the funeral do I need to get my order in (if I call it to the town where the service is?) One day? Two days? four hours? [Wink]

And then they fill out the card for me? I hope they don't spell my name wrong....

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

I've successfully done it the morning of the funeral before, but at least the day before is a better idea. They fill out the card for you, but they would be doing that anyway. Spell it out for them, and they'll get it right. [Smile]
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

So -- just to make sure I'm getting this right:

1) I find an FTD florist somewhere online where I can view the types of bouquets (or plants) and pick one? (they all use the same names for the different arrangements?)

2) Find an FTD-type florist in the town where the funeral is. Call them to order the flowers (based on whatever name the web gives the arrangement) and pay via phone. Right?

Sorry - I just want to make sure I get it right.

Farmgirl

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

[Confused] FTDFlorists.com says there are no FTD florists in that town... [Frown]
ElJay
Member # 6358

See, actually, I was saying that you DON'T want to do FTD, because you have a limited selection of arrangements and they're overpriced. It's in Utah, right? Go to dexonline.com and search for florists in or around the town, and just call them and tell them you want a sympathy arrangment and your price range, and you'll end up with something a lot nicer than if you went through FTD.
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Okay -- thanks!
ElJay
Member # 6358

[Smile] Welcome.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Check to be sure the florist you find is really local (i.e., has a local street address). Some national chains were putting "local" numbers in local directories across the country at one point. And any time you are dealing with a not-actually-local florist, someone else is getting a cut, and you get less for the same cost. [Razz]

For instance, these are the results for florists in Tremonton. Note those first two webpage listings. You DON'T want them (or their ilk) because they will actually put the order through a local florist -- and charge you a hefty surcharge. (They will actually show up as the first couple listings for ANY search for florists in the US. [Razz] )

When I choose the show local only option, all the florists that lack local addresses disappear. I would probably choose the two or three closest to the funeral home and call them. (There really only are three -- two of those share an address.) See what they could offer, and choose one.

Good luck. You're a good friend.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Thanks. Yeah - the listing I finally got narrowed it down to four. I guess I just go eene-meane-mine-mo at this point. Not knowing the town of Tremonton, I have no idea which is closest, and it's a small enough town it shouldn't matter.

Farmgirl

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
You could always use mapquest or yahoomaps. But you're probably right that it's a small enough town not to matter much.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.