FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Definitive Covers (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Definitive Covers
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a little more specific than the remake thread. I'm thinking about songs which are originally recorded by another artist, but which are forever linked to another artist.

Cases where, when you name the song this is the version that comes to mind. List the definitive version, and the original artist. Feel free to protest if you disagree. My examples are:

• You've Got A Friend - James Taylor (originally by Carole King)
  • Respect - Aretha Franklin (originally by Otis Redding)
  • Blue Suede Shoes - Elvis (originally by Carl Perkins)
  • How Sweet It Is - James Taylor (originally by Marvin Gaye)
  • You Make Me Feel (Like a Natural Woman) - Aretha Franklin (originally by Carole King)
  • Twist and Shout - The Beatles (originally by The Isley Brothers)
  • All Along the Watchtower - Hendrix (originally by Bob Dylan)

I know it seems that James Taylor, Aretha, and Carole King dominate my choices, but these are just off the top of my head. I'll be back with more.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
Red, Red Wine - UB40 (originally by Neil Diamond)
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooo, yeah. Good one.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

• Everybody Plays the Fool - Aaron Neville (originally by Main Ingredient) and I can't believe I forgot
  • Me and Bobby McGee - Janis Joplin (originally by Kris Kristofferson)

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Did Kris ever perform the song? I thought he wrote it for Janis to perform.

I'm a Believer - the Monkees (originally by Neil Diamond)

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

That would explain why I can't remember what his version sounds like. I'll look when I get home.

EDIT: From amazon.com's review, "Kris had his first own real big on-the-road hit with "Me and Bobby McGee," especially after it was covered by Cash, Janis Joplin and Roger Miller."

Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Walk This Way by Run DMC (originally by Aerosmith).
-- It moved Rap to the mainstream and resurrected Aerosmith's careers.

Hard to Handle by The Black Crowes (originally by Otis Redding)

Mrs. Robinson by The Lemonheads (originally Simon and Garfunkel).
-- Stupid band, but it's a great cover of a great song.

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know Hard to Handle, but I really wouldn't call the other ones definitive versions of those songs by any means.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
UB40's Red Red Wine was a cheap rip off of Bob Marley. Virtually identical, minus the soul.
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heffaji
Member # 3669

- posted      Profile for Heffaji   Email Heffaji         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure this one is debatable, but GnR's version of McCartney's Live and Let Die.
Posts: 291 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
"Green, Green Grass of Home," by Johnny Cash, but it was someone else's. (forget-must Google, too tired)
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate to admit this, since I prefer the original version, but Ike and Tina's version of Proud Mary is much more well-known than the original Creedence version.

Quick story, while we're on the subject: When I was a DJ on a college radio station, my friend and I used to think up call-in contests to pass the time and screw with people. One day we announced that whoever could name the artist who performed the original version of a song would win a prize. Then we played Neil Diamond's original version of Red Red Wine from the '70s. We immediately got flooded with calls, and every single one of them guessed UB40. We laughed and laughed.

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
Can I nominate a song for worst cover ever?

Edit: GnR also did a pretty good job with Knockin' On Heaven's Door (originally by Bob Dylan).

Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
"Everytime You Go Away" by Paul Young (Originally by Hall and Oates)

"You've Lost that Lovin' Feeling" by Hall and Oates (Originally by the Isley Brothers? Some Brothers. I can't remember which.)

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
It's the Righteous Brothers and I think the original is much more definitive than the Hall and Oates version (I'm not sure I've even heard their version).

As an aside, for those interested in covers, check out this podcast. . You can just download the mp3s from that link. You don't need any special podcasting software or anything.

Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Then we played Neil Diamond's original version of Red Red Wine from the '70s. We immediately got flooded with calls, and every single one of them guessed UB40. We laughed and laughed.
And nobody guessed Marley? That's sad.
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dagonee:
Did Kris ever perform the song? I thought he wrote it for Janis to perform.

A friend of mine has a CD of Kris singing several songs he wrote for other people, including Bobby McGee. I'll have to see if I can borrow it from him.
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's the Righteous Brothers and I think the original is much more definitive than the Hall and Oates version (I'm not sure I've even heard their version).
I don't see how you can possibly not have heard this version. Were you alive during the eighties?
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Sad? That nobody guessed the wrong answer?

quote:
but Ike and Tina's version of Proud Mary is much more well-known than the original Creedence version.

What planet are you from?
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Killing Me Softly, by the Fugees,original by Roberta Flack

Not exactally a cover, but I really like I'll Be Missing You, but it isn't a cover because it has Sting sampling Every Breath You Take in the background with them singing/rapping over it. [Wink]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

Kwea, those were two that I thought of this morning, although the I'll Be Missing You I don't think would qualify.

I also thought of:

Wild Nights - John Mellencamp (by Van Morrison)
With A Little Help From My Friends - Joe Cocker (by the Beatles)

Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

quote:
Originally posted by Frisco:
[QB]
quote:
Sad? That nobody guessed the wrong answer?
First of all, it was a trick question, because people were asked to name the "original" version of the original song. So what's a "wrong answer?"

But we're talking about definitive covers. UB40 did a cover of Marley's version, not their own version of Diamond's song. It was a cheap rip-off of a definitive cover, but no one was aware of how that cover came about in the first place. That's sad.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Hm. I don't think I've heard the Hall & Oates version of "You've Lost that Lovin' Feeling" either, Joe. The Righteous Brothers own that track.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

Yeah, I think Top Gun sewed that up for them.
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

Wild Nights - John Mellencamp (by Van Morrison)

It always bothers me that this song was a collaboration between Mellencamp and Me'Shell Ndegeocello, but nobody ever describes it that way. It was her bass line and the vocal duet that knocked everybody's socks off.

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

I agree, but I can't spell her last name without going to amazon to look her up, so I left her off.

It's her verse that I really love, and of course the bass line.

Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
No no no... I think some are confusing a group doing a good cover with the cover actually outshining the original so much that it's vastly more popular--and not simply because nobody remembers the original. Some of this ya'll already said... but I'm going to say it anyway.

Walk This Way is clearly more associated with Aerosmith than Run DMC. Run DMC and Aerosmith did a neat duo video. That's all.

It might be a good cover, but Mrs. Robinson is definitely a Simon and Garfunkel song through and through. The Lemonheads, if I remember who they are correctly, just made it into a bubblegum pop song.

Guns and Roses did a great cover of Live and Let Die--but Paul McCartney's is THE version I think of when I hear the title.

I agree that the Righteous Brothers' version of You Lost that Loving Feeling is the definitive one, as well.

I do think that Guns and Roses totally took over Knockin' on Heaven's Door. But, I didn't even know it was a Dylan song.

The Fugees made a real nice cover of Killing Me Softly, but Roberta Flack still holds the definitive title. (I will admit that when I listen to Roberta Flack, I'm waiting for the singing improv the fugees do and the "one time" beat thing.)

I'll Be Missing You is a retarded remake of Every Breath You Take. They totally ignored the creepy stalking side of the song and made it fluffy. They suck. Whoever they are. And yeah... it was catchy... even had me singing along a little bit.

I can't think of my own example to add into the mix... so I declare that I suck for disagreeing with many but not offering anything of my own.

It's just that I think the original has to be virtually unknown or a lot less popular for the remake to achieve Definitive status.

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

quote:
The Fugees made a real nice cover of Killing Me Softly, but Roberta Flack still holds the definitive title. (I will admit that when I listen to Roberta Flack, I'm waiting for the singing improv the fugees do and the "one time" beat thing.)
I think the fact that you expect to hear Wyclef calling "One time!" tells you that the Fugees have the definitive version. I think it's just because it's a lot more recent than the Roberta Flack one. I personally love that one, but I don't think it was as popular, even in its time, as the Fugees version.
Dr. Evil
Member # 8095

- posted      Profile for Dr. Evil   Email Dr. Evil         Edit/Delete Post 
"You Really Got Me" Van Halen (original by The Kinks)
Posts: 117 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

I guess I can't get over the memory of sitting in the car when I was a kid, listening to this song and my mom singing along...and wondering what in the world it was about...but loving it all the same. My mom had already told me by that time that Janis (sp?) Joplin had cut her face into ribbons when she committed suicide--so the line "strumming my pain with his fingers" became "strumming my face with his fingers" and I associated it with Janis Joplin, especially with the Killing Me Softly line.

So nothing, for me, can overshadow the Roberta Flack version...but maybe you're right. Maybe the Fugees really did take it over... I do like it better..

Darnit. [Smile]

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Katarin... I can't believe anyone thinks that any version other then the Simon and Garfunkel Mrs Robinson could POSSIBLY be definitive. Not for another 40 years at least. Ditto on Walk This Way. That is CLEARLY an Aerosmith song. Run DMC just happened to get in on that bag of tricks.
Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

Dr. Evil, which group did the "You Really Got Me" in the commercial? I think it had barbies or something in it... with a toy car... or maybe it was a commercial with an operation in it...

wow... those are two totally different images... I'm lost.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I personally love that one, but I don't think it was as popular, even in its time, as the Fugees version.

*blink* You're living on another planet, right? Because I guarantee you that "Killing Me Softly" is, to the vast majority of people on this planet, a Roberta Flack song. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

As with everything, it has a lot to do with context. If the vast majority you're talking about are baby boomers who listen to classic rock all day, then yes, I'm sure they have no idea who the Fugees are.

But if by vast majority you mean people from the ages of 3-30, most of them don't even know that the song was a cover. The same argument could be made for most of the songs in this thread. For most, the definitive version is the one they first heard, or the one the grew up listening to.

But, since you guaranteed me....

The one grand slam on this list, I think, is All Along the Watchtower. But I'm sure that someone will swear that it's a travesty, and only the Dylan version will stand the test of time. Half the fun of threads like this is arguing about which is the definitive version.

calaban
Member # 2516

- posted      Profile for calaban   Email calaban         Edit/Delete Post 
everyone does All Along the Watchtower my favorite is the Dave Matthews Band version.
Posts: 686 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
"Lean on Me" is another song that was hugely popular the second time around. However, I can't remember either the remake artist or the original artist.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

Lean on Me - I'm pretty sure was Bill Withers.
Dr. Evil
Member # 8095

quote:
Originally posted by Katarain:
Dr. Evil, which group did the "You Really Got Me" in the commercial? I think it had barbies or something in it... with a toy car... or maybe it was a commercial with an operation in it...

That was the Van Halen version. From their first album which was released in 1978.
Posts: 117 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr. Evil
Member # 8095

quote:
Originally posted by adam613:
All Along The Watchtower is a Hendrix song. I like the Indigo Girls version better though.

Actually it is a Bob Dylan song, pre-Hendrix.
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
For me the definitive version of Proud Mary is the Tina Turner one, I'm not sure if the recordings I've heard were her dueting with Ike or not. Even John Fogerty has said she's better than him.

On all the Otis Redding songs, yeah the cover is better, same with many Dylan, but I like Bob Dylan.

Only one cover of a Beatles song is better and that's the Joe Cocker, With A Little Help...

I don't think I've ever heard anyone cover That Loving Feeling.

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

Lean On Me was Bill Withers.
Dr. Evil
Member # 8095

Lean On Me remake by Club Nouveau
Dr. Evil
Member # 8095

Judas Priest did a couple of covers on the 1979 Live album - the first was Diamonds and Rust, originally done by Joan Baez and the second was "The Green Manalishi" which was done by the original Fleetwood Mac (when they were a hard rock group). I thought they did a great job re-making these songs.

Aerosmith re-did the Beatles "Come Together" circa 1978 and had some huge popularity with it too.

Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Evil:
quote:
Originally posted by Katarain:

That was the Van Halen version. From their first album which was released in 1978.
There are so many covers of that song, I can't even count them. I know Eve 6 did one that was decent, but I like Van Halen's version best.
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
quote:

I personally love that one, but I don't think it was as popular, even in its time, as the Fugees version.

*blink* You're living on another planet, right? Because I guarantee you that "Killing Me Softly" is, to the vast majority of people on this planet, a Roberta Flack song. [Smile]
I disagree, strongly. Most people under 35-40 don't know, or care, who she was, but everyone who listens to the radio knows the Fugee's version.

More people know Every Breath You Take from Sting, but the newer single still had Sting in it, and was wildly popular...it crossed all genre lines and because a worldwide hit yet again.

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I like the Fugees version better.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

quote:
Most people under 35-40 don't know, or care, who she was, but everyone who listens to the radio knows the Fugee's version.
You realize I'm 30, right, and still haven't heard the Fugees version because I have musical taste? [Wink]

Edit: And having quickly looked it up online, I don't regret that decision.

quote:

Strumming dub plates with our fingers,
Eliminate sounds with our song,
Killing a sound boy with this sound,
Killing a sound boy with this sound,
Taking sound boys’ lives with this dub,
Killing him softly with this sound.

*shudder* It's ghastly.
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

Everyone has taste. Whether or not it's good, well, I guess that's not for me to judge. If you have good taste, you should throw out your preconceived notions and give the Fugees a listen. They made some really good music.

EDIT: Where's that quote supposed to be from? I don't think those lyrics appear anywhere in their version. The lyrics are the same.

Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
I realize that taste is subjective, and that there will never be a definitive standard for art. But for what it's worth, I have a friend who has a Ph.D. in music and is currently a professor at a university who has, among many other things, taught a full semester class on the history of rap. And in his opinion the Fugees album The Score that "Killing Him Softly" was on is one of the five best hip-hop albums ever made.

So it's fine if, based upon what you've looked up on the internet, you don't think that version is worthy of the original. But don't pretend that it's due to superior taste. [Wink]

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

I like your friend. I don't have a Ph.D. in anything, but I definitely agree with him on the top five status.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.