FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Baby gift suggestion, please?

Author Topic: Baby gift suggestion, please?
accio
Member # 3040

- posted      Profile for accio   Email accio         Edit/Delete Post 
My co-worker’s baby shower is coming up in two weeks and I want to give her something special, not from her baby registries. She is Jewish and her husband is not.
Is there anything Jewish I can give her without offending her?

Posts: 333 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jacare Sorridente
Member # 1906

- posted      Profile for Jacare Sorridente   Email Jacare Sorridente         Edit/Delete Post 
Whatever you do, don't give them a baby. The gift of a baby is really fairly passe for baby showers.
Posts: 4548 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
The Bumbo is a must-have item I believe. Our daughter loves hers and she's been able to sit up in it since she was three months old. Safer and handier than any high chair.

Bumbo Seats

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
I love giving activity books for parents and babies. Gymboree has a couple of really good ones.

One thing that you'll never find on registries that I found to be the best gift is to bring prepared dinner (kosher if she's observant) a couple of times the first month after the baby is home. This is wonderful and I appreciated it so much as a new mom.

Barring that, I would go with stuff on the registry. She says this is the stuff she needs, so she might prefer you stick with this list.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
If you don't mind being practical, an ear thermometer (if this is a first baby.)

If this is not a first baby, how about a gift certificate to a restaurant and/or movie theater and a certificate for a free night of babysitting?

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If you don't mind being practical, an ear thermometer (if this is a first baby.)

I say no on this, because their accuracy leaves much to be desired and many pediatricians will tell parents not to use them.

But, that does remind me of a gift that I really enjoy giving - a baby medical kit. Include all kinds of necessary things - infant tylenol, syrup of ipecac, a rectal thermometer, dosage syringes, that kind of stuff. Include a card that says "I hope you never need any of this stuff, but I know if you ever do you'll appreciate having it on hand."

I've never had a mom-to-be not thank me profusely for it, and it's unlikely anyone else will bring the same thing.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
divaesefani
Member # 3763

- posted      Profile for divaesefani   Email divaesefani         Edit/Delete Post 
Please (for my sake) don't give her a blanket. As a mother who just had a baby, I received probably 25 blankets, and almost none of the stuff that I really needed (aka, stuff I registered for).
Posts: 161 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I say no on this, because their accuracy leaves much to be desired and many pediatricians will tell parents not to use them.

I've still found it invaluable. To just reassure myself when she feels a little hot, I'd rather not stick a thermometer up her rump. And I've found that when I do take a rectal temp, my ear thermometer is within 0.1 degrees F accurate to the rectal temp. Maybe that's just mine. Maybe some people don't know how to use it.

But the clinic we took Ems to used ear thermometers, too. And my mom does in her work as an RN who sees a lot of kids.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
They use an under-arm thermometer to take Aerin's temp in the NICU. They take it 2-4 times and average them. I'll probably use the same one when we take Aerin home.

I actually love blankets, because they're the only things Aerin can use right now. However, I imagine that the mother of a full-term baby wouldn't need even a quarter as many and I have all I need already.

accio, there's no traditional Jewish gift that I can think of. Do you know how observant your co-worker is? I just got an aleph-bet (Hebrew alphabet) wallhanging and a Jewish holiday soft book and I love them. Check out this site: http://www.oytoys.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=15

Is she registered? If so, I would stick to things on her registry. People register so they can get things they really want and/or need.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Mrs. M, the blankets are the only things she can use? Because I got my mom to dig up a chart of head circumference based on length and was going to make some caps with all the seams turned to the inside-- none to irritate her little skins. Darn. *reconsiders*
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Okay, these are absolutely adorable.
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
If you know whether the parents are using disposable or cloth diapers, I would suggest diapers. If disposable, get a package larger than the newborn size; if cloth, see if you can buy some cute diaper covers. I know that I really really appreciated the diapers I got at my baby shower. Not an adorable present, but like Belle's baby medical kit (I wish I had gotten one of those!), a present that you will be thanked for in the future.
Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
I always give a Boppy pillow to mommies-to-be. I loved mine! Not Jewish but very practical and can be extravagant as well. Some have nice covers now too! Link
Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
accio
Member # 3040

- posted      Profile for accio   Email accio         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you all for the great ideas. I think I will get a basket filled with a “baby medical kit”, blankets, diapers, and some goodies from Mrs. M.’s site.

My co-worker was a pediatric audiologist before she came to work with us. I’m certain she’ll love the “baby medical kit”. (Why didn’t I think of this?)

Thank YOU !!

Posts: 333 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Glad to be of help, accio.

kq, thank you for the effort and intentions. They won't let us put hats on Aerin (except for the CPAP hat) because her tiny skull is still fairly soft.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Oh, okay.

I'll make them bigger, then. [Smile]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.