FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I don't get it... (Page 5)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: I don't get it...
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
Gaaaaaah. It's even better than the last post thread. [Wink]
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Pffft. Who needs a gym when you have a Crisco'd Frisco at the ready? [Taunt]

*leers objectifyingly*

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Theaca:
And how did Pringles come up with that weird shape?

Well, it seems to have something to do with the great Gene Wolfe.
Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
I did not know that! [Smile]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Ahem. We are ignoring the larger issue of a gleaming Frisco here.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

(Did I kill a thread talking about Frisco again? Drat.)

(Shall we get back on potato chips?)

Frisco would be hot eating potato chips.

kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
Now I want potato chips, but I am lacking them.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Me, too. [Frown]
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
edited because aparenely 4 pages of comments popped up while us was writing :S
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Funny. I last read this thread when it was on page two, then left the drama alone for the rest of the day. Just now I wondered how people could still be talking about this, and jumped right to page 5 without reading the middle.

Imagine my surprise.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I bought a can of Pringles Salt & Vinegar chips because of this thread.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
Fluff!?

NO! THIS WAS INTENSE DRAMA!

**** YOU ALL!

Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I love that this has become a thread about chips.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
I have difficulty understanding how famous people, OSC included, deal with all the criticism that inevitably comes from being in the spotlight. It's pretty easy for Tom or myself or anyone else to criticize someone like OSC without really considering the possibility that it would really bother him - but I guess in this case, it did. And I'm guessing it wasn't just the thread in question - I'm guessing it's the countless times OSC gets attacked for his articles and viewpoints and projects and new books and so on and so forth. I certainly see why he'd be pretty mad.

But there is a problem with Mr. Card complaining about this, because you need to be willing to take what you dish out, or else stop dishing out what you wouldn't want to take. OSC writes articles in published papers and "reviews everything" on his website, and in doing so severely criticizes a whole array of people, even in areas that he is not really an expert. Yes, OSC may view an insult to his works as akin to insulting his child, but it's truly that many people will be equally insulted when you attack their political views, or attack their religious views, or attack their movies, books, products, and everything else. I'm willing to bet Tom does not appreciate Mr. Card's constant and blatant mischaracterizations of liberals in his articles. I'd be willing to bet a great many people would be hurt by OSC's writings - and are hurt to some degree everyday by similar criticisms by all sorts of people. When you criticize people like that, often unfairly, you are going to be criticized back.

When OSC criticizes Star Wars, is he out to destroy George Lucas? No - he's just out to offer his judgement. Similarly, when Tom criticizes OSC, there is no reason to believe he's out to destroy OSC. Every few months somebody gets called a troll or the equivalent, but the truth is that people who cause trouble rarely do so intentionally - they do so because they have something to say, and don't expect trouble from it, or feel it needs to be said nonetheless. Why do we have to insist they are monsters? They neither hate nor are out to destroy you.

Tom probably went too far in some of his criticism, but OSC has too, if not further. I'm not sure where the limit should be, as far as criticism goes - but there is a limit somewhere. At some point it becomes harmful.

So, yeah... I see where OSC is coming from and I can definitely see why this stuff would frustrate him, but I can't say Tom did anything out of the ordinary or exceptionally mean. If there's a problem it's that we, in general and including OSC, criticize people too severely - whether that be OSC, Jatraqueros, famous people, or even strangers.

Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
The irony for me is that OSC himself has done more to make me uninterested in his ezine than anything Tom could ever say. I think OSC's posts in this thread pretty much solidify what feelings were forming in me over recent years about our gracious host.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
What are you people talking about?

What thread?

What magazine?

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, this thread is about CHIPS.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Enigmatic:
Funny. I last read this thread when it was on page two, then left the drama alone for the rest of the day. Just now I wondered how people could still be talking about this, and jumped right to page 5 without reading the middle.

Imagine my surprise.

--Enigmatic

LOL

I just did the exact same thing...buy I must have had a confused look on my face for at leat 5 min while I read the last page. Twice, because I didn't get it.

Then I backed up a page. [Big Grin]

Of course then I had to back all teh way up to page two.

OK, for what it's worth (this and $1.00 get you a small coffee), I can understand where everyone i2 coming from in this.

I thought Tom was a little out of line at first, but not that far out.....but I didn't understand OSC's post in the first thread.

I understand it much better now.

I think Tom has made amends, at least as much as he is able to at this point. I hope neither of them leave HAtrack, it would be a far poorer place to be if either of them left.

I has disagreed with things OSC has said, but that in no way affects my love of his writing. I odn't have to have the same political views as an author to enjoy his book, and I went out of my way to drive to see him at a convention because if his writing.

He and Kristine were very, very nice, of course.
I also taked to a number of book dealers there, and they had nothing but great things to say about him as well. [Big Grin]

I don't have to agree with someones political views to like them personally, either.

I have no idea how to prove any of this, but it is my belief that this web site provides many, many people with a chance to see OSC's works, and has been a very successful medium for advertising his work and promoting his career/book.

I hope that this ezine will prove as successful, both in the quality of the features it provides and commercialy.

'Nuff said.

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
It will do well if it has plenty of pictures of potato chips. Clearly, that's the dominant meme at the moment.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
This is an interesting potato chip site. Googled it while looking for these chips, which are some of the best salt and vinegar ones I've ever had.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I found Tom's thread, and I went and saw the Intergalactic Medicine Show site.

And I agree with the thread title: I don't get it.

IMO, OSC is seriously overreacting to this, and putting words in Tom's mouth, or thoughts in his head. I've seen Tom be arrogant and irritating before, but I have always got the impression that he tells it like he sees it. All this accusation of Tom's insincerity and condescension is way off the mark.

And frankly, again IMO, OSC's comments in this thread have done him more damage than Tom's thread ever could have.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
Please, Glenn. You're derailing us from the serious potato chip discussion. [Big Grin]
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

And where is Frisco? I wanna see him gleaming and eating potato chips.
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
I like black pepper chips. I've only seen them around here. I'm surprised that I've never seen anything like them before, since it makes perfect sense to put pepper on a chip.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

No it doesn't.

*looks at the black pepper chips and pukes all over them*

Sorry. Morning sickness, you know.

Anna
Member # 2582

*feels sorry for kq*
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Treason
Member # 7587

- posted      Profile for Treason   Email Treason         Edit/Delete Post 
These
are among my favourite chips.

Posts: 870 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sopwith:
I've got to agree with Storm on that one. Those things should come with a 12-step program flyer inside each bag.

Maybe, although it'd be better if they'd add an extra 13th or 14th step just to allow for some more chip eating.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

Like in Chris' chronicle about fast-foods. I'll see if I can find it...
Anna
Member # 2582

Here it is!
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Has OSC given out information on his new electronic magazine? Do we know if they will accept submissions from just anyone, or will it be by solicitation only? Has he proposed a subscription rate? Is there a place where I can find out this stuff other than pestering him about it?
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
*basks in the warm glow of another semi-effective fluff derailment*

Have to be in the right mood for Salt and Vinegar chips.

Like now -- I'm sick with a head and chest cold, coughing and snuffling so much that I think Salt and Vinegar chips may be the only ones I can taste. [Frown]

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Bob,
I think OSC said to send send any submissions to him, though they probably won't need any for a few issues. But they will accept them. The subscription fee will be in the neighborhood of 2-4 bucks a month. This is all from memory, so sniff around to verify it.

Now back to your regularly scheduled chip discussion. I don't like how small the opening of Pringles cans are. I can't get my big fat hand in there. Anybody else have that problem?

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

At the end of the can, yes. Usually then I put it upside down.
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
I think that's probably their intention. You can't reach in --> You pour from the can --> You eat more chips --> You buy more Pringles.
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
It's frustrating though. I feel like a gorilla trying to work a can opener. So for me it goes like this:

I can't reach in --> I pour from the can --> Chips go all over my shirt and couch --> I curse loudly --> I buy less Pringles.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
That's good! That means you're fighting the power of evil marketing! Go you!
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Personally, I find Pringles aren't greasy and fatty enough for me.

I like a chip that you have to wash after.

Hamson
Member # 7808

- posted      Profile for Hamson   Email Hamson         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't like chips.

*tightens chest and braces for impact*

Posts: 879 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dagonee:
[QUOTE]
Finally, I strongly suggest using http://validator.w3.org/ on every page of the site before it goes live. Because when this site is linked at SlashDot, you'll really get a chance to see what hateful harsh criticism looks like.

I'm sorry to interrupt a good chip discussion, but I thought this point needed mentioning again. Like Dagonee said, it is very likely to get linked on slashdot. There are always some people on that site that seem to really get off on being hurtfull to others, and I wouldn't be surprised if at least a couple found their way over here.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wonder Dog
Member # 5691

- posted      Profile for Wonder Dog           Edit/Delete Post 
Go tortillia or die. Potato chips are simply an inferior knock-off of the vastly superior corn variety.

Mmmmm...Nachos...
(tummy grumbles)

Posts: 353 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Ever since I spent time in Mexico City, I have a hard time eating torilla chips. The smell of tortillas and diesel fuel are inextricably connected in my mind and the mere thought induces nausea.
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

[Eek!]

Thank you ever so much for that thought.

*throws up*

Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Aah, in your condition, I really don't have to say anything for you to puke, do I? (I puked all day, every day, even the day I gave birth. I puked at the hospital while in labor, so I feel for you. "Morning" sickness my butt. And who in the world thought telling me it would only last through the first trimester was a good idea?)
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Well, it's not as bad as last time. Last time I puked every day for 4 1/2 months-- with medication, I got it down to once a day. After 4 1/2 months, it calmed down a bit-- every other day or so until 6 months. 6 months was the golden time-- hardly any nausea, no throwing up, and I didn't get heartburn until 7 1/2 months.

I also threw up while in labor. [Frown]

But the throwing up this time does seem to be triggered by stuff, as opposed to just "all the time, no matter what sickness".

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:

*throws up*

Oh! Poor dear!

**holds KQ's hair, wipes her sweaty brow with a cool wash cloth, offers sips of ginger ale**

Better?

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

*looks at ginger ale and gags*

*throws up again*

[Frown]

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:

*throws up again*

Oh honey!

**holds KQ's hair again, wipes her sweaty brow with a cool washcloth again, offers a little water to rinse her mouth**

Would saltines help?

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamson
Member # 7808

- posted      Profile for Hamson   Email Hamson         Edit/Delete Post 
How about some potato chip liquid?
Posts: 879 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Saltines would be lovely. Thank you. *nibbles saltines* *feels somewhat better* [Smile]
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.