FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I don't get it... (Page 6)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: I don't get it...
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow.

This is what happens when I get obsessed on Serenity posts; I miss the drama.

I suspect this is a good thing. Had I seen and read the original thread, I would have probably jumped in just as deep.

My quick and unrequested, well-after-the-fact two cents: TomD was too blunt and OSC overreacted.

Comments on the look and feel of the place, even well-meaning ones, were unasked-for and premature. As stated, no one even knew yet that this would be the final design. A better approach, if one had to be made, would be to ask first if this was the final design before tearing into it. When I design sites I often throw up placeholder graphics and incomplete designs so I can get approval or criticism on the layout before I put a ton of work into it.

Also? "Eye-crushingly ugly" was harsh. "Doesn't work for me" is equally accurate without the loaded words, and modifiers like "dunno if this is what you're going for, but to me etc etc" would be a more polite way to offer criticism from out of nowhere.

But OSC seems to have picked up the impression that TomD would delight in the magazine's failure, and I didn't get that at all. I had the impression that TomD very much wanted it to succeed, and was offering criticism to correct what he perceived as obstructions to its success based on his own experiences as a web designer. That he was blunt about it is because he's Tom.

One thing I do hope doesn't get overlooked because of this: please, please have other people look at the site before it goes live. I recommend this to anyone designing a website. If you base it solely on what you like without beta-testing it with other people you are unnecessarily limiting your audience. No matter how cool your design is, have some people who have never seen it before try to use it while you watch. I've seen some wonderfully crafed sites fail because readers felt lost or confused, while the designers wonder how anyone couldn't have seen that the green Wuffle! button was a home page link.

This experience might turn you off letting Hatrackers see it and that's fine -- and I have no idea if there are any problems, I haven't seen the site -- but please make sure someone who hasn't been staring at it nonstop for weeks try and navigate around it and tell you what they think, if you haven't already.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mimsies
Member # 7418

- posted      Profile for mimsies   Email mimsies         Edit/Delete Post 
You seriously need to get with the program. That post has NOTHING to do with chips.
Posts: 772 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
*head spinning*
[Frown]
Can't we all get along?
*hugs for OSC and TomD*

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
*hands Telp some chips*
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Treason
Member # 7587

- posted      Profile for Treason   Email Treason         Edit/Delete Post 
I also like these chips, but I prefer them in the sour cream and onion flavour, which I can never find!
Posts: 870 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
They make those in sour cream and cheddar, too, you know. Not the real thing, but when counting calories, an acceptable place-holder.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Treason
Member # 7587

Now, chips are great and all, but can we move on to chocolate that we love? These new take 5s from Hersheys are killer! Pretzels inside, yum!
Posts: 870 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Treason
Member # 7587

Not the real thing my booty! I like them better than most brands of chips. The only flavours I ever see are BBQ and Original though. [Frown]
mimsies
Member # 7418

Chocolate... mmmmmm

It is SO imcompatable with weight watchers. well, not entirely, but the amount of chocolate I'd LIKE to have is... sigh

Posts: 772 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Treason, have you checked Subway? In my experience, they often have 4 to 6 flavors of Baked Lays on the chip rack.
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
Panera has pretty good chips, although their food is often a little too expensive.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
*munches on chips*

I feel like I walked into a movie about a half hour too late..

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

I'm a bit drunk right now... (that seems to be happening more often) but I wrote OSC this email... Don't mean to distract from the chips.. please continue eating.. [Smile]
*munch*munch*

quote:
Hello OSC, it’s Telperion… I just wanted to send you and email about the recent tiff with Tom D. I just wanted to give my support and I hope things work out. Tom does love you….he wouldn’t have devoted so many years to you and this forum if he didn’t. However, I do recognize that he was lacking in the constructive part of his criticism. True, Tom looks for a reaction… but don’t we all? Why post if we don’t expect a response from the public? Or even write for that matter? Of course it’s a little different because you earn a living from your writing. Maybe I’m being too optimistic about people’s intentions, but I think Tom was trying to help you out by criticizing the new web site for you magazine. Granted Tom is a Liberal, as am I, and like to spread his thoughts/belief around… but it’s done for the hope for the betterment of Mankind…to make people THINK…. As apposed to follow blindly. He might come off as hostile form time to time because of his views and his way of expressing them…but his hear it in the right place I think. Just as yours is. You both have a huge love for Civilization and its preservation. I too try and fight the good fight for the future of the Human race. In my job I’m faced with the ignorant all the time. Mostly from my co-workers. And often it is religion that they fall back too instead of critical thinking. So I understand the frustration. It goes on and on of course, and I’ll spare you the details…I know you’re time is limited.
Anyway, you have created what you set out to, at least in part, a community of your very own.. Hatrack. And you occupy an interesting place in that community.. You are both it’s “god” and citizen. And as a legend you are subject to sometimes undue criticism as the “government” of our forum. This happens in all e-communities… and while we are more evolved than most and understand the nature of polite community more than most we sometimes fall short. The best solution for this is to talk and be active and show that you are a “real boy”… but of course that is very difficult due to your schedule and limited time you can afford to be online.

Of course we still have to factor in your livelihood with your good name and reputation…
Who am I to say in the end… I have no degree in economics. What I feel is that Tom D was being critical for your sake… as apposed for the sake of bringing you down. Like “see how bad I think this site is compared to the awesomeness of OSC’s work, it might drive people away”…

Anyway, I give my support to you and this great online community. Don’t loose heart. We support you, even if we disagree with you from time to time.

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Treason:
Now, chips are great and all, but can we move on to chocolate?

There is room for compromise, people. Or haven't you all heard of chocolate chips?
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
This thread is about salty snacks. The shift in conversation from chips to, say, pretzels is therefore acceptable.

To go from salty to sweet is completely out of line though. Chocolate belongs in a thread of its own.

I like white chocolate.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
How' bout white chocolate covered pretzels for a segue?
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Treason
Member # 7587

White chocolate shouldn't even qualify as chocolate. [Grumble]

And KQ- Thanks! I'll try Subway!

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
While I really like white chocolate, this is true.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mimsies
Member # 7418

If you get fruit, nut, and chocolate trail mix... it is salty and chocolatey

edit for spelling

Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen chocolate-covered potato chips, though.

Note: "Seen" not "eaten"

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen those too. Beverly really likes them.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I've seen chocolate-covered potato chips, though.
Wow. Ew. See, I can deal with chocolate-covered pretzels because the pretzels used aren't generally that salty. I can't imagine chocolate-covered potato chips, though.
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the salt and the chocolate together.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

As do I.
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad this thread seems to have bounced fluffy, but can I just say that I am extremely excited about this new magazine?
Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Treason:

Someone named Treason WOULD make ridiculous statements like that. [Razz]

White chocolate is simply chocolate that has been purified of its sins and ascended to a higher plane. O:)

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

White chocolate is fine. But DARK chocolate...

I've just discovered dark chocolate M&Ms. I am a happy woman.

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I like chocolate pudding with plain potato chips crumbled up into it. Delicious!
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you like that all the time, or just when you're pregnant? [Wink]

I don't remember if anyone's mentioned them yet, but my favorite salty snack is Tostitos gold chips....mmm!

Chocolate-covered pretzels are also divine. [Smile]

Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
[Eek!]

I'm definitely going to the store today.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Do you like that all the time, or just when you're pregnant?
All the time. I've been eating it since I was about 16.
mimsies
Member # 7418

I wise and wonderful friend, from Hatrack actually, told me that dark chocolate is high in iron [Smile]
kmbboots
Member # 8576

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm definitely going to the store today.

To buy some for me ?
Megan
Member # 5290

Dark chocolate M&Ms are wonderful. Too bad they're so hard to find around here. [Frown]
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
The problem with many chocolate covered pretzels is that the chocolate that covers them often isn't of very good quality.

The solution is to dip pretzels in Nutella. This way one can also control the chocoalate-to-pretzel ratio.

What I have yet to do, however, is to find some really good peanut butter-filled pretzel nuggets to dip in Nutella.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Rivka, chocolate is supposed to be sinful, which is why dark chocolate is the best kind. I like mine about 70% sinful.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Nutella has hazelnuts.

I'm allergic to hazelnuts. [Frown]

Megan, the solution to your problem is to buy them in bulk when you find them and store them in the freezer.

According to the M&Ms website, they're back for a limited time-- through early November-- and are available at Kroger, Target, and Evil Store of Evilness-- excuse me, Wal-Mart. Or, you can shop the M&M store online.

Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
I like to buy my own choclate and pretzels, melt the choclate and dip the pretzels. Then put 'em on waxed paper until it dries.

That way, you can control the quality and thickness of the chocolate. MMMMMmmmmm

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

See, now I'm going to have to go out and buy some chocolate, melt it, and coat some Ruffles in it (I like Lays, but I doubt they'd hold up to chocolate-coating.)
Olivet
Member # 1104

All you need is nice double-boiler, some waxed paper, and a fork. [Wink]
Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

No, I need chocolate and potato chips.

I've dipped strawberries and pretzels before, it wouldn't be hard. I just don't have the raw materials.

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Double boiler? [ROFL] Your microwave broken? [Wink]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

Aww. No chips or Choc? I'd buy you some if I was there... [Frown]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I have a Hershey's bar in the freezer.

I go through chocolate rather fast when I'm pregnant.

Don't even talk about chips, if they come in the house they're gone within 36 hours at the very most.

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Another fine thread derailment you've gotten us into!
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
Zalmoxis, you should write to the Nutella people and suggest that! I'd totally buy it. [Big Grin]

*drools at the thought of Nutella-covered pretzels*

Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

Also good for the salt/sweet tooth...

Slightly melted ice cream (esp vanilla) on tortilla chips (like the ice cream is a dip).

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I've done that! I like it with pecan praline ice cream, though.
Megan
Member # 5290

quote:
Slightly melted ice cream (esp vanilla) on tortilla chips (like the ice cream is a dip).
This, I could do. It sounds vaguely sopapilla-ish.
Toretha
Member # 2233

- posted      Profile for Toretha   Email Toretha         Edit/Delete Post 
Valrhona chocolate is the best-and if we take "salty" to mean "has salt in it" then chocolate totally applies!
Posts: 3493 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.