FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » 50 years ago today

Author Topic: 50 years ago today
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Fifty years ago today an actor died. Not that anyone knew who he was. But he was an actor, had been a major charecter in 3 hollywood films, only one was even in theaters by then though. He was driving through california to a race with his Porche. The driver who hit him was even younger and less important than he was, but was his life was not cut short. Those three films are now classics that are watched in many venues, one has even been considered to be what changed the fifties to the sixties. But he is not just celebrated as an actor, he's celebrated because he died young, was fantastic, and loved cars. Every year for the past 30 or so years there has been a carshow in his little hometown in North Central Indiana, where thousands of cars and ten times more people gather to celebrate the legend, the car show was last weekend. And today, in that same little town, there is a memorial service and procession to his modest grave stone led by a man only known to most as Nicky Bazooka. Sadly today, I am not there, though I was last weekend, and I gave Nicky B a note for the grave this week when my dad ran into his shop (as he does most weeks, except it's not really Nicky B's).

This actor could have gone down in history as an equal to Paul Newman or Katharina's fave Marlon Brando. But he didn't have time.

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

- posted      Profile for unicornwhisperer   Email unicornwhisperer         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by breyerchic04:
The driver who hit him was even younger and less important than he was, but was his life was not cut short.

I'm sorry, but just because the other driver wasn't an actor doesn't make him less important...
Posts: 1417 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000015/
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
James Dean = overrated
Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry. I keep seeing this and in my head I hear, "It was 20 years ago today Sergeant Pepper taught his band to play..."
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
heh, the same song jumped into my head too. And I must admit that I had absolutely no clue who was being discussed until I saw THT's post.
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
I'm sorry. I keep seeing this and in my head I hear, "It was 20 years ago today Sergeant Pepper taught his band to play..."

Same thing popped into my mind, KQ. [Smile]

Every time I drive to the coast, I make it a point to stop at the memorial in the parking lot of the Jack Ranch Cafe in Chalome (pronounced Sho-lam - I asked one time), which is just down the road from the site of the crash, to pay my respects. Because I don't think James Dean was overrated as an actor.

I refused to see any of his films for a long time, because I figured that no one could ever live up to his hype and I didn't want to be disappointed. But finally I gave in and watched. And was amazed. He really was that good.

I marvel every time I see one of his three films, Rebel Without A Cause most commonly, because that is my favorite of the three, at how uninhibited he was, which is a very valuable thing for an actor.

Perhaps, had he lived, James Dean would have become overrated, as he aged or as he took parts that weren't as spectacular as his acting abilities. But he didn't, and what he left us is a very small body of very good work.

I realize that isn't everyone's opinion of him and his work. Which is fine.

Oh, and by the way, the junction of highways 41 and 46, just down from the memorial in Cholame was just renamed the James Dean Memorial Intersection.

Edit: to correct the pronounciation guide.

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
I certainly don't think he was overrated. I just wish we had been able to see more work from him. What we saw was incredible.

Live fast, die young, leave a good-looking corpse. It's a catchy phrase but so tragic when it comes true.

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.