FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » OSC reviews Serenity (spoilers in the thread)

Author Topic: OSC reviews Serenity (spoilers in the thread)
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.hatrack.com/osc/reviews/everything/2005-09-30-extra.shtml

[Smile] I could have put this in the spoiler free thread, but I didn't.

Needless to say, he loved it.

[ October 04, 2005, 01:49 PM: Message edited by: Narnia ]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Diosmel Duda
Member # 2180

- posted      Profile for Diosmel Duda   Email Diosmel Duda         Edit/Delete Post 
*fangirly squeal*
Posts: 537 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Dang, this is killing me. Because of work schedule and not having someone to watch our daughter until Sunday, I've got to wait.

Man, I am so looking forward to this. And he did a great job of reviewing without spoiling.

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
He really did.

My two favorite quotes:
quote:
It's great.

I'm not going to say it's the best science fiction movie, ever.

Oh, wait. Yes I am.

quote:
This is the kind of movie that I have always intended Ender's Game to be (though the plots are not at all similar).

And this is as good a movie as I always hoped Ender's Game would be.

And I'll tell you this right now: If Ender's Game can't be this kind of movie, and this good a movie, then I want it never to be made.

I'd rather just watch Serenity again.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
So it's spoiler free, you're saying. Cause I want to read it, but....
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
warps to theaters...
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
Very spoiler free. And very high praise. My tickets tell me I'm only three hours away...
Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
It's essentially spoiler free.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Great review. I'm impressed that he managed to hit all the important things about the movie, without spoiling anything.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I am sure it wasn't that easy to do, either.

Great review.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
texico
Member # 8670

- posted      Profile for texico   Email texico         Edit/Delete Post 
While watching the SciFi channel's "The Making of Serenity" I realized that Joss Whedon would make the perfect Ender movie. In fact I think Joss's work has been building up to just that.
Posts: 5 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
texico
Member # 8670

- posted      Profile for texico   Email texico         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry for the double post.
Posts: 5 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
human_2.0
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for human_2.0   Email human_2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
Edit one of the duplicate posts and click the delete link.
Posts: 1209 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
I kept expecting OSC to say that he wanted Whedon to do Ender's Game.

I know I want to. Someone should bring it to his attention... he IS the man, as they say.

Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WntrMute
Member # 7556

- posted      Profile for WntrMute           Edit/Delete Post 
Although the double post apology apologising for the double post is what they call "ironic."
Posts: 218 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
True. [Big Grin]

BTW, texico, welcome to Hatrack!

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
OSC forgot to mention the most important part:

GO SEE IT NOW!!!

If you wait to see it on DVD, you ain't gonna be seeing the same movie.
Whedon has exploited the difference between the big screen, theater sound experience and the small screen, home sound experience to highlight the story to a degree rarely seen. And even more rarely done as well: ie in a manner that doesn't make you feel as if the director is trying to pull your strings in a direction that the story itself can't.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. Great review. He nailed it.

[Hail] OSC
[Hail] Joss Whedon

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
The reason there was no spoilers in his article is easy to understand. He did a lot of explaining, but no examples. I have as much information about this movie as when I started reading it; none. I am not particularly impressed with his treatment, although I definantly know he liked the movie. As someone who HATES "This movie was great," "A must see of the year," "It had me hooked from start to finish," reviews, this treatment was painful to read.

There is one thing me and my wife are very worried about and that is the violence factor. We think it looks cool. We think it looks fun. However, we also think it looks like there is way too much body count, with possibly not enough story behind it. After all, its about River who is a death machine. I know this might be more of a judgment question, but should we be worried about the violence? OSC hinted at the possibility.

Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Erm....well, it's rather disturbing. There are a lot of hand to hand fights and the villain is truly ruthless. My 17 year old brother thought it should have been rated R (he's kind of sensitive) but I was fine with it. I don't know. Help me here guys, can you compare it with anything else that might help Occasional decide to see it or not? Maybe?
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Umm... not sure. A few parts were "ick"... but it was mostly "meaningful" violence -- not as much the manipulative horror movie type violence. I mean, there were parts that WERE meant to be kinda scary, but scary (mostly) in the context of having you care that the violence involved characters you like.

Similar to Buffy and Angel, but a bit more intense -- how's that?

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
There is a lot of violence and fighting. There is no gore.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BryanP
Member # 7772

- posted      Profile for BryanP           Edit/Delete Post 
Is this movie worth seeing for someone who has never seen Firefly?
Posts: 326 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Pooka never saw firefly, and she absolutely loved it.
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
She never saw Serenity either, and she loved that, too.
Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
I had never seen Firefly, but by baptism of desire, there was not a moment that I didn't want to, so I ordered the DVDs from Amazon last week.

Needless to say again, Serenity was incredible. I was blown away. My 9-year-old son high fived me about 5 minutes into the film, and he loved it as well, but he is mature for his age. Youngsters might be a little frightened in some parts. Nightmares even.

I had been reminded of many things I had forgotten by the film, and had many comparisons:

Not since seeing The Matrix in the theatre was I as surprised and impressed at how a movie can exceed my expectations in so many ways.

Not since Jurassic Park did I just want to sit still after the film and "ride" it again like a really good rollercoaster ride.

Plus, there were moments where I was scared, and had no idea what was going to happen next. THAT does not happen often, even in horror movies. But then again, expectations are different in a horror movie.

Lastly, I laughed, I cried, and laughed and cried some more. That too, is rare.

So Bryan, if you haven't seen Firefly like me, you will still love it. You might even want to see it again :-)...

Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fil
Member # 5079

- posted      Profile for fil   Email fil         Edit/Delete Post 
Saw it twice already and for all the times I have disagreed with OSC's reviews in the past, this one I totally agree upon. I don't know if I would go "best sci-fi movie" yet. I need some time between seeing it and then thinking about it fondly later to be sure but yeah, leaving the theater left me with a fine glow that lasted well into the next day.

Maybe it was because everyone at both showings were invested in the characters more than a typical fan (assuming the big fans were there first) but it has been a LONG time since I felt any sort of real tension in a movie. No spoilers but lets just say that nothing is safe in this movie. People were on the ends of their seats (self included) for a good hunk of the movie, in particular the last 1/3rd. There are horrible things happening in this movie and it isn't sugarcoated, though they do avoid excessive gore and use mostly tried and true blood curdling sound effects vs. showing things.

For people not sure if they want to go, this could be best considered a space opera akin to Star Wars if we only followed Han Solo and the Falcon mixed with old school Westerns along with some of the creepier portions of a zombie movie (but no zombies...it will make sense when you see it). It has a lot of violence but all of it has consequences and at times even discussed with regret as maybe a bad choice. We find even seemingly random violence (possibly included to excite audiences) has a larger purpose discovered as the movie goes on.

I hope it makes the target number to ensure a sequel. I have read it needs to make $80 million worldwide to get the greenlight. That isn't too bad considering a world market that might be more interested in the movie than the US and DVD sales that will no doubt go through the roof like the series DVD did (and one hopes they release it soon!).

Anyway, any folks interested in good sci fi, or at least excellent space/horse opera, should run, not walk, out to this flick.

Posts: 896 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
When I saw it the first time back in June (or so. Maybe it was July), I wasn't impressed with the movie for a number of reasons (having nothing to do with plot points, and everyting to do with what struck me as clumsy exposition and dialog that didn't seem to me to work very well, coming out of the various characters' mouths (Zoe saying a line that bore Kaylee's style of word choice, that kind of thing).

I was wrong, and I happily admit it. I enjoyed this movie so much more the second time that I can't even quite believe it was the same film. Not sure what I was smoking this summer, but I take it all back. Fantastic movie.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Yay!! Now where in the heck is twinky?! [Wink]

Seriously though Noemon, wander over to the spoiler thread and tell me more about why you didn't like it. I'd love to read your two separate reviews. [Smile]

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
I was wrong, and I happily admit it. I enjoyed this movie so much more the second time that I can't even quite believe it was the same film.
I remember reading your review of it, and being really dissapointed. In the intervening months, I allowed myself to forget it and get really excited for it. I'm glad I did. [Smile]

Narnia -- you can find it at http://www.sakeriver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=825

Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I was wrong, and I happily admit it. I enjoyed this movie so much more the second time that I can't even quite believe it was the same film. Not sure what I was smoking this summer, but I take it all back. Fantastic movie.
[Big Grin] I was waiting for your verdict.

Now get everyone you know to see it [Wink] .

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Occasional, I'd say it was a lot like the first Matrix movie. Lots of dead extras, very little blood or mutilation. You do get up close and personal with some corpses that show no signs of trauma, as well as some skeletons. There's plenty of screaming and lots of implied nastiness, but very little on-screen. Some of the bad guys are scary-looking, but you don't get a very good look at them.

This was nothing close to the violence of Kill Bill, Saving Private Ryan, or Blackhawk Down, all of which made me somewhat sick. I never felt the need to look away from anything on the screen during Serenity.

You can go read the spoiler thread if you need more information to make a decision. It's hard to do a good spoiler-free review. I will say that this movie breaks/mocks some conventions, has decent special effects, hilarious dialogue, some great fight scenes, a villain with depth and honor, and a great deal of excitement and suspense. It is also one of the most moving pieces of entertainment I've experienced.

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
monteverdi
Member # 2896

- posted      Profile for monteverdi           Edit/Delete Post 
I saw the movie with my 15 year old daughter who liked it a lot. I was surprised too. It was pretty funny and pretty sophisticated in its use of the currently popular filmic 'vocabulary' in a serious attempt to tell a moral story.

One of the saddest things about the movie, to me, as a parent, is what this kind of "attempt" seems to amount to: more violence, more technique.

How sad to see that the "communion" gathering this small family together amounts to fitting a diskette into a diskette reader and pushing "send". Use the network to destroy the network. Once you believe this, the rest is networking--not communication.

How sad to see that the only real drama, effective as it is, arises from the lurking possibility that every member of the family, from the first scene on, is in immanent threat of being killed or, as the movie specifically mentions more than once, raped. If you are without magic 'powers' given you by the very system you are trying to defeat, then you are always vulnerable.

In my view it is not possible to use a technique (spiritual, communicative, manual) to undo the consquences arising from that technique's use.

This is especially true when what is at play is the communication of moral values. A moral message in an immoral medium becomes an immoral message. Think of torture. Can you torture a torturer into stopping torture? You can START, but something else will finish.

So, Serenity is good, unfortunately. I don't believe that we can say good things with these kinds of "Words". The better we get at it, that is, pretending that we can, the worse we are getting at something else - something that used to make all the difference.

The children in the concentration camps wrote poetry and died.

Posts: 575 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

quote:
How sad to see that the "communion" gathering this small family together amounts to fitting a diskette into a diskette reader and pushing "send".
I can't really go into detail because this is a non-spoiler thread, but I disagree with you on many levels.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent review by the big man.

One thing - there's no way I gonna subject myself to Full House reruns. Not voluntarily, anyway.

But other than that, I agree with everything he said.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
monteverdi
Member # 2896

Teshi,

I know what you mean about the levels. It's why I agree that this story is trying to be moral...the moves are there. But, finally, in the end, what is it that one is asked TO DO? Well, "the right thing".....but how, precisely, is this right thing "coded" (for lack of a better term)? - You take a message and broadcast it. Now, I mean this really literally....and it is, almost, immaterial what the message is - it is SUFFICIENT to broadcast.

The film's message COULD be summarized as this: Given the proper intensity of violence, a message may be broadcast.

This overlooks almost everything that, paradoxically, makes the film enjoyable; but summarizes, for me, everthing that makes the film sad.

Regards,
TH

Posts: 575 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

Again, I can't reply without going into detail, but plotwise, think of the few alternatives to what the characters did and do you think that was a better option? How many people did they actually harm who weren't clearly out to harm them?

Sure, the movie's got violent undertones, but I think you're forgetting which side the violence is instigated on.

monteverdi
Member # 2896

I know, and agree, that the good guys win.

The question for me is whether or not, in a larger context, this isn't just a 'variation' on a model of moral communication that requires all 'serious' communication take place in a context of violence.

This film is, in this regard, an accurate refelection of the society we live in: our real experience, for example, with 'terrorist' modes of communication, and our engagement in the 'dialogue' overseas, our engagement through the media etc.

I am not suggesting this film has anything to do with our wars, but that it is a product of these times.

I really do wonder at what point these 'moral' movies, sweetly targetted as they are between the eyes of our youth, are not a sort of 'trojan horse', seeming to carry a lesson on family and moral action, while more profoundly training us in a more sophisticated practice (or consumption) of what, in fact, is already poisoning us.

This is a lot to say about what is, finally, only a movie. But because the reasons it is admired are such good ones, and the problems that it seems to want to address are such important ones, the wooden echoes are unusually loud ones, the whispering inside especially disconcerting....

Regards,
TH

twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Narnia:
Yay!! Now where in the heck is twinky?! [Wink]

twinky was too busy bawling his eyes out as the credits rolled to be thinking about reading Hatrack.

I need to see it again, but I'm not sure when I'll be ready.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

*pat pat* I actually thought of you this weekend and wondered how you were feeling about the whole thing. I'm glad you loved it, and I understand the bawling part. [Smile]
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
This was referenced on slashdot.

I predict a major two-way flamefest before long.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

quote:
I need to see it again, but I'm not sure when I'll be ready.
This is the thing isn't it? Not many movies do this to so many people. It's incredible.
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, most movies don't have a fourteen-episode buildup. I was already very invested in the characters before seeing the film. [Smile]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.