FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hot Sauce: 'Tis the Season

Author Topic: Hot Sauce: 'Tis the Season
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
The chiles are red, it is time for sauce-making.

If you have chile peppers in your garden, wait until a bunch get red, and do the following. This is a basic recipe I use. I like to feature the taste of the chile variety, or a blend of varieties, and do not add spices. However, it is good with ginger, or any other flavors you like. I just like a pure-as-possible chile flavor.

Take a pile of red chiles(you could use green)

Chop them up coarsely(food processor OK), being careful to avoid touching your eyes and sensitive body parts.

Dump chopped chiles in pan with some salt. i also add a peeled clove of garlic or two or five.

Cover with the vinegar of your choice. i have been using red wine vinegar.

Boil for about 10-15 minutes. Let steep and cool.

Put the whole shebang in a blender and puree until smooth. I do not remove seeds.

Pour into jars and leave in the fridge for a few weeks to steep.

After three weeks, you may strain the sauce through cheescloth. (I don't.) If you do, save the goop and use as sandwich spread.

That is all.

Try different chiles, different amounts of garlic, sautee some veggies or even a little fruit in with the chiles. Whatever. Add more vinegar if you want/need a thinner sauce, use less vinegar for a paste.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
My dad roasts his chiles in the oven to roast, then cools, removes seeds of the killer ones and all stems, and chops. Then add chopped onions and garlic, fresh lemon or lime juice, salt to taste, a pinch of sugar if it's a bit bitter, boiled, strained tomatillos, and chopped cilantro if desired for a wonderful, wonderful salsa!
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Have you ever put Tabasco sauce in Kool-Aid and then taken a swig of it? Its actually rather tasty.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
*throws up*

I hate both Tabasco and Kool-Aid.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

(I have heard that hot sauce and salt on watermelon is very good, though.)
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Informational Tidbit- The people I was with named the drink," Horse." There was no real reason.

kq- How can you be human and not like Kool-Aid? Everyone loves Kool-Aid! "Oh, yeah!"

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I know a ton of people who don't like Kool-Aid. It tastes like chemically poisoned water. Ick.
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Steve- I hate it too. And I have *gasp!* denied it to my children.

Mmmm, Liz, that's making me drool. Peppers are on sale at the produce mart right now.

Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
Kool aid is raunchy.
Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the first time i ever had Kool Aid was kindergarten, I told my mom what it tasted like so she called the school to make sure they didn't give us alcohol, they didn't (I really didn't know what I had drank, it was red), somehow this is more ammusing when she tells it.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't like KoolAid. Ever since Jonestown . . .

Chili powder (not the dark chilli powder spice combination you North Americans put in Chillis with beans, but the bright red stuff that's closer to cayenne) and salt are fantastic on watermelon and pineapple. [Big Grin]

Elizabeth, you're a woman after my own stomach. [Big Grin]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
*throws up*

Oh no! Not again!

**holds KQ's head, wipes her sweaty brow with a cool wash cloth, offers saltines**

Have you tried this?

Oh, and I detest Kool-Aid too. My kid has never had it ever. Foul brew!

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
For the record, there's a "Sides and sauces" category on the recipe site. *hint, hint*
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
*laughs* Go, Dags!
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Have you tried this?

Yup. Doesn't do squat for me for morning sickness. Wonderful for car sickness, though. (I get car sick but never sea sick. Weird, huh?)
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Sabra is a brand that makes my favorite hot stuff -- s'chug, which is a paste of chili peppers and spices and is wonderful stirred into so many things.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
KQ, have you tried very strong ginger snaps? They've worked for several friends of mine.

I used them for seasickness myself.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

"For the record, there's a "Sides and sauces" category on the recipe site. *hint, hint* "

OK, OK. But then I would have to get my act together and put the green chili recipe in as well, Dag.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Dag, Jamaican ginger beer usually works for me. But we couldn't find my usual brand, and the brand my dad had around isn't as sweet, tastes more like lime, and I threw it up. [Cry]

I wants my D&G! [Frown]

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
I threw it up.

Oh no! You poor dear! This is getting too much.

**holds KQ's hair, rubs her back, offers a little sip of water to rinse her mouth**

Have a saltine?

And lookit this!! Could be all you've been needing.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Looks, nice, but I'm not allowed to chew gum. TMJ. [Frown]
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
Ithaca has a chili fest sometime soonish. You should come by. [Smile]
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Like I need ANOTHER reason to go to Ithaca! When is it, Kojabu???
kojabu
Member # 8042

Actually after I posted that I did some checking and I think it's sometime in February. The one last year was.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Ah, a warming up festival. That makes sense!
kojabu
Member # 8042

Yea, I'm looking forward to checking it out this year, last year I was in Rome. It's always outside on the Commons so it's freezing while you eat the chili.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.