FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » President Bush has chosen White House counsel Harriet Miers for Supreme Court (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: President Bush has chosen White House counsel Harriet Miers for Supreme Court
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
President Bush has chosen White House counsel Harriet Miers for Supreme Court
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't giving the Supreme Court position to a friend from Texas who has never been a judge before a bit like hiring a FEMA director who doesn't have crisis management experience?
Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Not really. There have been many, many, many successful SCOTUS justices who have never been judges before.

That said, I'm reserving judgment on her until I know more. But the mere lack of judicial experience is not disqualifying.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

Stealth candidates have never been good for Republicans in the past. So I’m a bit nervous but hopeful. I realize that 60 isn’t old, but I would have liked to have someone a bit younger too. I was really hoping for Brown.
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Not really. There have been many, many, many successful SCOTUS justices who have never been judges before.

Glad to hear that Dag. I've been meaning to ask you exactly that all morning, but I've kept forgetting.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
...such as...?
Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Stealth candidates have never been good for Republicans in the past.
See, and here I was hoping she'd be good for the SCOTUS, or better yet, for the country. How narrow-minded of me.
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

..wow, Earl Warren.
Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
For instance, all of these....

quote:
You don't have to go back far to find a justice who was never a judge _ William H. Rehnquist never served on the bench, for instance. The president also mentioned Byron White

[ October 03, 2005, 11:29 AM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
...such as...?
Earl Warren
John Marshall
Louis Brandeis (I think).
John Marshall Harlan
Felix Frankfurter
William O. Douglas
Robert H. Jackson
Byron White

[ October 03, 2005, 11:35 AM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
According to the NewYorkTimes and ChicagoTribune article preceding Roberts confirmation
quote:
only 48 of the 108 people who have served on the Supreme Court were previously sitting judges. Out of the other 60 justices, 25 were practicing lawyers, 9 were attorneys general or deputy attorneys general, 7 held other cabinet positions, 6 were senators, 2 were members of the House of Representatives, 3 were governors, 2 were solicitors general and 2 were law professors.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

And one was President. How'd they miss that?
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
We've had this conversation a zillion times on this forum, guys, just in the last couple of months. [Smile]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

Probably cuz nobody would want to admit that the crook was either a President or a Justice.

[ October 03, 2005, 11:32 AM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

I've got to get an ignore button. [Roll Eyes]
aspectre
Member # 2222

Sorry, the straight line was too hard to resist [Big Grin]
Besides, Taft had sat on the federal 6thCircuitCourt.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

Missed that when reading the bio.
Jay
Member # 5786

Ok, I don’t like her now……….Supreme Court nominee Harriet Miers gave $ to Democrat Al Gore
aspectre
Member # 2222

Cheer up, Enron probably gave dough to AlGore, and five times as much to Dubya.
It's called buying access.

mimsies
Member # 7418

- posted      Profile for mimsies   Email mimsies         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jay:
Ok, I don’t like her now……….Supreme Court nominee Harriet Miers gave $ to Democrat Al Gore

[Roll Eyes]

doesn't take much does it

Posts: 772 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

Not really
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
It could have been pity money.
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I've got to get an ignore button. [Roll Eyes]
Wouldn't that be nice...
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fil
Member # 5079

- posted      Profile for fil   Email fil         Edit/Delete Post 
Or is it like posting a animal vet to the post overseeing women's health issues? [Big Grin]

I will reserve judgement for a bit but the cronyism is starting to stink up the administration enough that even some Republicans are starting to get a whiff (finally). George's personal lawyer and White House counsel. Humph. Has Bush EVER looked farther than the end of his nose for people to nominate? (okay, yes I am sure he has but really...not that often...and he has a knack of putting people into positions they barely qualify for, if at all).

Posts: 896 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

For all the complaining I see about this, I've yet to see one bit of analysis about whether or not she's qualified.
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Dag do you have any thoughts? I mean, I've never heard of her. Has she argued in front of SCOTUS before? Does she have a background in studying constitutional law? Those are some of the questions I would have about qualifications.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

I haven't had time to do any real research yet, but I intend to do some more this evening or tomorrow evening.
Jay
Member # 5786

She’s the White House council. Sure she’s qualified. I just hope President Bush knows something about her that the rest of us don’t.
aspectre
Member # 2222

Such as what's in that video of Miers at her law school graduation party?
Wow! I didn't even know that people could do that.

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
She's been a lawyer for X number of years.

Certain groups will say that she's eminently qualified.

Other people will praise her character

Those will be her qualifications.

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

Miers Led Bid to Revisit Abortion Stance

Ok, this sounds a little better.

Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
For those who claimed fighting abortion was the big reason they voted for Bush, who argued it was worth accepting all his questionable neoconservative foreign policy and restrictions of civil liberty in order to get more socially conservative judges in for life, I have to wonder if these nominations might make one think twice about that. Neither Roberts nor Miers look like the sort of conservative hardliner that would shift the court dramatically or vote to overrule Roe v. Wade.
Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
She’s the White House council.
This does NOT make her qualified. Nor does it make her unqualified. It's one piece of a career that needs to be examined at length.

quote:
For those who claimed fighting abortion was the big reason they voted for Bush
Nice word choice there. How about "For those who had fighting abortion as a big reason for voting for Bush"?

quote:
I have to wonder if these nominations might make one think twice about that.
We'll see, won't we.
Jay
Member # 5786

I know you all will hate this, but oh well. Deal with it:
Rush Interviews Vice President Richard B. Cheney on the Nomination of Harriet Miers to the Supreme Court

I’m hopeful still. Plus I heard on the radio that she is an evangelical Christian and a biblical literalist.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
I’m hopeful still. Plus I heard on the radio that she is an evangelical Christian and a biblical literalist.
Neither should make you either happy or unhappy about her being a judge.
Jay
Member # 5786

To me it does. Says that she’ll have a moral authority and not try to legislate from the bench. The law will rule as it’s supposed to, not as Bryer would have it where doing what feels right is how you rule. I’m not saying that she’ll use her faith to make decisions, I’m saying that her faith gives her a foundation that can be trusted and where she takes the bible literally she’ll also take the constitution literally.
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Evangelical Christian=law will rule as it's supposed to?

I don't know about that.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
To me it does. Says that she’ll have a moral authority and not try to legislate from the bench. The law will rule as it’s supposed to, not as Bryer would have it where doing what feels right is how you rule. I’m not saying that she’ll use her faith to make decisions, I’m saying that her faith gives her a foundation that can be trusted and where she takes the bible literally she’ll also take the constitution literally.

Do you often extrapolate a person's entire character, political philosophy, and future actions from a couple of catch-phrases?
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
Hrm. So your argument then, is that evangelical christians and biblical literalists have more moral authority then any other americans?
Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
There are many people who interpret the Bible literally who think evolution should be taught in school. There are many who think it shouldn't be taught in school. There are many who oppose 10 commandment monuments in courthouses.

That information alone does not tell you her interpretational philosophy.

Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by KarlEd:
Do you often extrapolate a person's entire character, political philosophy, and future actions from a couple of catch-phrases?

Certainly...we all do, all the time.

No one has the time to do real research on all of this... which is why we have the necessary evil of a representative government.

That having been said, Jay, I've seen some horrific excuses for people that are biblical literalists and some amazingly trustworthy ones who aren't remotely Christian. I don't think that's a good predictor.

As C. S. Lewis said, the only thing we can assume about Christianity's affect on people (assuming Christianity is true) is that they are better people with it than they would be without it. It says nothing about how good or bad they may actually *be*.

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
"As C. S. Lewis said, the only thing we can assume about Christianity's affect on people (assuming Christianity is true) is that they are better people with it than they would be without it."

Hrm. I'm not even sure that is logically correct.

Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

Paul, are you seriously going to derail this discussion to argue with me (when I'm taking your side, no less) that a direct impartation of divine grace on a scale that would "save a person from their own sin" wouldn't make someone a better behaved person?
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

Yes of course there are going to be exceptions, but I feel more comfortable taking a chance on a literalist then on a feel good type person.
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

"Paul, are you seriously going to derail this discussion to argue with me"

I'll derail any discussion to argue a point I find interesting [Big Grin]

That said, I hadn't considered the "grace" angle when making my post. You probably have a point.

"Yes of course there are going to be exceptions, but I feel more comfortable taking a chance on a literalist then on a feel good type person."

Why? Because their politics are more in line with yours? Or because they are more likely to live good lives? If your previous post you implied the latter, but I don't think you can make an objective case for that point.

Jim-Me
Member # 6426

quote:
Yes of course there are going to be exceptions, but I feel more comfortable taking a chance on a literalist then on a feel good type person.

emphasis mine. [Smile]

Not trying to beat you down, Jay, honest. I just found the phrasing ironically humorous.

Edit: Well, it wasn't *my* point, Paul. That's the double-edged thing about appeals to authority-- you don;t take blame for them, but neither can you really take credit [Smile]

[ October 03, 2005, 03:39 PM: Message edited by: Jim-Me ]

aspectre
Member # 2222

"that she is an evangelical Christian and a biblical literalist...Says that she’ll have a moral authority..."

Are you saying, Jay, that she thinks she's as smart as God?

Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 

Because as we know those are the only two kinds of people, and everything about them can be defined by those descriptions. Well, I feel better.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

quote:
a feel good type person
How is this the opposite of biblical literalist, again? I missed it.
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Jay

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I submit that there is a huge difference between taking the bible literally and taking the constitution literally.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.