FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » NaNoWriMo 2005 (Page 2)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: NaNoWriMo 2005
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
And we're off . . .

Of course, I haven't written a word yet, and it's already past noon. I have two shalwaars to finish sewing by tomorrow before we go out of town for Festival marking the end of Ramadan, and unfortunately, that's a bit more important than writing.

HOWEVER. As soon as they're done, I'll write. I'll write up a storm, I tell you! A STORM!

Muwahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_hoIes
Member # 6963

- posted      Profile for digging_hoIes   Email digging_hoIes         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm working like crazy this week, and probably most of the month. It's going to be tough to squeeze quality writing time into there, but I must.
Posts: 109 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Van Pelt
Member # 5767

- posted      Profile for John Van Pelt   Email John Van Pelt         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay!
Posts: 431 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
I've begun. Barely a thousand words so far, but I also had a column to write.

Prolly won't be around Hatrack much for the next month - don't wanna waste any words.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm annoyed that I'm tied up with school related writing projects but I'm going to see if I can just get something new started.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
So what's the daily quota again if we want to reach 50K? (I guess I could just use a calculator, but I know one of you will delight in letting me know the answer to my question. [Smile] Why deprive you of that delight?)
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm working like crazy this week, and probably most of the month. It's going to be tough to squeeze quality writing time into there, but I must.
No no no, this is Nanowrimo: Eliminate any thoughts you may have about quality writing! You need quantity writing time! [Big Grin]

I'm apparently on Hatrack and checking email instead of getting started. Fortunately, I'm groggily sleep-deprived from starting birthday celebrations at 12:01 am, so the internal editor portion of my brain my be asleep still.

Oh, and it's 1667 words per day (rounded up).

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Thanks. [Smile] And Happy Birthday again.
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

My novel already sucks. :shrug: It is rather fun though.
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I've got around 660 words so far, but I'm unofficial. I'm not sure I'll have the time to keep this up.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
That's about what I have too, afr. I definitely don't have the time, but I'm going to try anyway. [Smile]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't even have an idea.
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
larisse
Member # 2221

- posted      Profile for larisse   Email larisse         Edit/Delete Post 
My idea sucks, but I am going with it. I have a little over 500 words so far. None of it makes sense. I keep going back to add, which isn't a bad thing as long as I do not delete anything. (<--- contractions are not your best friend during NaNo, I am telling you.)
Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

My main character just jumped off a bridge into the Abyss to escape some soldiers. What happens next is up to my fingers and my fevered brain.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by quidscribis:
Children of the Dome. It's a bust from last year, completely revamped to the point that what little I previously had written had to be junked. It's much better than it was. It's about a bunch of kids who live trapped in bombed-out West Edmonton Mall until they finally find a way out.

I really want to read this. I hope that the waterpark, Galaxyland, the Undersea Caverns, Mini-Golf, and the Dragon in the movie theatre make an appearance. There are so many features of the mall that would work well for a story.
Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

I did sign up. I haven't started writing yet so that is not a good sign. I have some ideas and a main character but that may not be enough. My screen name over there is ran-solo.
Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

My novel is very depressing, currently. And I have a feeling it might stay like that for a while.
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

And I have almost 1500 words, btw.
solo
Member # 3148

I have just under 700 words of story and another 300 of notes for later chapters now. I don't know if I'm gonna be able to keep this up though.
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I have 1716 words at this point. Just over the daily goal. Woo Hoo! It sucks, but isn't that the point?
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Yeah. I just realized that my main character (whose point of view the story is told from) doesn't have a name yet.

And I really don't know what's going to happen next. This is probably offensive to all of you serious novelists who have been researching and waiting for this day for the last few months.

It's great fun though!

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I've been waiting for a year. But I'm not a serious novelist and I did no research. So, I am not offended.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

I have just over 800 words at the moment and am going to take a break for dinner. I'm still not quite able to embrace the attitude of "It doesn't have to be Just Right, just write!" yet and so the whole thinking about things is slowing my output down. But this particular hurdle is a large part of why I decided to try it this year, so here's hoping.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
Still no idea ...
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by solo:
quote:
Originally posted by quidscribis:
Children of the Dome. It's a bust from last year, completely revamped to the point that what little I previously had written had to be junked. It's much better than it was. It's about a bunch of kids who live trapped in bombed-out West Edmonton Mall until they finally find a way out.

I really want to read this. I hope that the waterpark, Galaxyland, the Undersea Caverns, Mini-Golf, and the Dragon in the movie theatre make an appearance. There are so many features of the mall that would work well for a story.
I'm glad you want to read it! [Big Grin]

Some parts of the mall make it in, like the Submarine ride and the waterpark and that area of the mall, but for logistical reasons, that's the only area of the mall that's in the story. Except for the underground tunnels, of course. [Big Grin]

The part of the story that takes place in the mall is actually fairly short - only the first part of the story. The rest takes place outside, complete with people hunting the kids, Cannibals, and a whole bunch of other stuff.

It's science fiction, so that should tell you that it can go pretty much anywhere. [Big Grin]

Anyway, I have to go and finish another shalwaar now, and then sew a pair of pants today, too. And I have a magazine article to write that's due today that I nearly forgot about.

All that BEFORE I can start NaNo.

AAAAAAARGH!!!!!!!

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Just don't put it off and never start. By the way, I have you on my list of Nano Friends so I can watch your progress. If you start slacking, you'll have to answer to me. And that is scary! [Angst]
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Good! The kicking my butt part. Not the scary part. Er . . . [Big Grin]
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
At 1630 words today, the first day. For those interested, I'm blogging my progress here.
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dh
Member # 6929

- posted      Profile for dh   Email dh         Edit/Delete Post 
I've started. I've got the easiest part done, the first chapter. 1785 words. The rest will be harder, so I'm going to try and get ahead while the going is good. Yahoo! [Big Grin]
Posts: 609 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
larisse
Member # 2221

Steve must have long legs if he can kick you,quid, across the Pacific. I'm impressed. I am also stuck. Ugh.... what am I going to do with my main character next. Right now she's sitting in an all-night diner drinking coffee. Well, waiting for the waitress to bring her a fresh cup and having a flash-back to her childhood. (I love flash-backs.)
Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm at 2610 and going strong. Writing an outline has helped thus far.

I'm going to need to do a bit extra for each day being as like most of my weekends will be swamped with Debate tournaments, so...

But weee! Fun fun fun.

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
R. Ann Dryden
Member # 8186

- posted      Profile for R. Ann Dryden   Email R. Ann Dryden         Edit/Delete Post 
Those of you who are having a hard time turning off your internal editor, I will pass on what I learned last year.

Have a quick competition with some friends. I.e. see who can write the most words in 20 minutes. Then repeat. Then repeat again. Before you know it, you may end up with your daily goal in an hour or so.

If you can't get anyone to do it with you, do it by yourself and make your goal to beat your high score each time.

Works really good for breaking that writer's block!

Posts: 180 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

This is my suggestion and this is what killed me last time.

Don't read what you've already written until you're safely to a point of finishing. Trust me, it's probably going to be complete and utter crap before then, so don't read it. It can only discourage you.

Instead, take notes in a seperate document, that way if you do something important, you can put a note a refer to it.

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I have written, at one point, over 130,000 words within a span of 30 days. Words of fiction. However, you will never read what I wrote. [Razz]

Ever.

I'm trying to decide if I want to try this or not with my current novel.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
I (blush) haven't started yet.

And I just got an e-mail from some fellow over at NaNoWriMo about priorities, and that dirty clothes and pizza should be the norm from here on out.

Hmphhh.

*grin*

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
larisse
Member # 2221

This is the message I got just moments ago when I tried called my Internal Editor.

"This is larisse's Internal Editor. I am sorry I cannot come to the phone right now. I am on vacation for the next 30 days. My writer, larisse, was nice enough to give me some vacation time since she said she was not planning on writing a darn thing this month. Since she has not done any writing in the past few months, I am inclined to believe her. Please leave a message after the beep. I will return your call on December 1st when I will have returned well rested." Beep...

Yes.... it worked. Now back to the writ... I mean back to the typing of meaningless characters in order to relieve stress. (Just in case the ol' IE is checking the forum ya know.)

Edited: Oh no, my Internal Editor checked the messages early. Just gonna have to write faster.

[ November 02, 2005, 11:58 AM: Message edited by: larisse ]

Shan
Member # 4550

*LOL*

Okay - since my last post I just wrote 1100 words of crap.

But it was MY crap, and it felt good!

And actually, a paragraph of it might have some potential - even better.

Now my back aches and my head hurts, so I am going to bed!

G'nite!

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Van Pelt
Member # 5767

- posted      Profile for John Van Pelt   Email John Van Pelt         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for the guidance. At 550 words today, I am happy to have simply begun what is to be my 2nd work of fiction.

But I am acutely conscious of how slow I am, the deathgrip of my internal editor. I rewrote the first four paragraphs 5 times. I feel like I'm 98% editor and 2% writer.

I will pause tomorrow and do some plotting, but then on with the output.

Maybe I could try doing a save-as for every paragraph or two, and opening a blank page, so I am not tempted to go back and read, let alone edit. Or put it in a huge font so I really can't, practically, see more than the line I am on.....

Hey, that might work.

Good night, friends.

Posts: 431 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CRash
Member # 7754

- posted      Profile for CRash   Email CRash         Edit/Delete Post 
Hurray, all signed up under username "crashwriter". 600 words and counting...

(I don't think I'll win this year, though. But maybe I'll pass 40K, my personal goal.)

Posts: 973 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

I've written 1768 words on the story today, which nicely completed the first scene and is over the daily quota so I think I'll be done writing for the evening. Now to just do that 29 more times and I'm home free.

--Enigmatic

Raia
Member # 4700

I wrote 2656 yesterday. I'll continue more today after all my classes. [Smile]
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
You can write during class, you know. Looks like you're taking notes. [Wink]

Not that I did that or anything.

All through college.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm one of the ones that can't bear not going back and fixing. What I tried is this: if I write 2,000 words, I can go back and meddle. But not before.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

I like that idea, Chris.

I woke up this a.m. absolutely disenchanted with the first 1100 words and the direction the story headed off in, even though I liked the potential in it, and now I want to delete and start all over again . . . It's not the story I want to tell. Grrrrr.

Raia
Member # 4700

Haha, I know. But I have a huge exam on friday, so I decided to actually pay attention. [Razz]

And I can't type in choir or my lesson, either, which I also have today. But the rest of the time (that I'm not doing homework), I can get cracking!

advice for robots
Member # 2544

I'm up to about a thousand words so far.

I wrote half asleep last night. Some of the stuff I typed when I was dozing off made no sense.

mackillian
Member # 586

Strange, Raia, I wrote in these things called "spiral notebooks."
John Van Pelt
Member # 5767

1,000 words today, all plot notes.

Plan to write about that much in narrative this evening, really working on just running with it; no editing.

Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
Umm...yeah. I got nuthin'. Not even topics for my research papers yet. [Blushing]

But on the bright side, there's still 28 days to go!

Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

4629 And about to go back and write some more! I want to get part one done tonight. (Shouldn't be that hard.)
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.