FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » NaNoWriMo 2005 (Page 3)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: NaNoWriMo 2005
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
1,294 so far, and it's terrible, but I love the character I'm supposed to draw out as horrible and thoroughly unlikeable. The more I write about her, and she's just a bit character, the more I like her.

I'm cheating though...it is a re-write of Rebecca. I figured I might actually be able do NaNoWriMo if I didn't have to make up the story, but could adapt one I liked for today.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
People have done that with Pride and Prejudice like....467 times! you should be able to do it with Rebecca and get away with it. [Smile]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I STILL haven't started.

Yesterday, we had a power outage from 11 am to 8:15 pm, unannounced, so it wasn't like we could plan for it, but the power company said it was for repairs, so suck it up and live with it.

That means that I STILL don't have all my sewing done, and we're heading out of town today, and I need to have my sewing done before we leave. So I've got about three more minutes here before Fahim nags me to get going . . .

Nope, it's started. [Razz]

Yep. He's nagged. [Smile]

So I'm off to do my sewing at this terrible hour of 6am when I'm barely coherent in the hopes that I can get everything done in time . . .

So. It looks like I'll get my first words for NaNo written while we're out of town. And no worries on me getting started - Fahim knows the plan, and he can be rather . . . insistent that I get writing.

Sigh.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
Quid - yeesh! Maybe you should've gone for the non-motor pedal sewing machine after all. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mackillian:
Strange, Raia, I wrote in these things called "spiral notebooks."

Which, um, would distract me so much less from the class than typing... [Razz]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nell Gwyn:
Quid - yeesh! Maybe you should've gone for the non-motor pedal sewing machine after all. [Roll Eyes]

Now that you mention it, yeah, it might have been a good idea. [Roll Eyes]

The pants didn't work. Long story, involving 25% shrinkage in the wash and desire for using daggers or other long piercing instruments of torture on the manufacturers of the fabric.

On the other hand, other than ironing and a very small amount of hand sewing on the one shalwaar which can be done when we arrive at the other end, the sewing is complete. Yay.

Now I can go pack. And iron said shalwaars. And send out necessary and unpostponeable emails. And finish packing. And clean out fridge from food gone back from the many and numerous and long and extended power outages in the last couple of weeks. And wash any remaining dishes. And download pages necessary to write an article that was due yesterday.

And once all that's done, THEN I can start in on NaNoWriMo.

Sigh.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jasonepowell
Member # 1600

- posted      Profile for jasonepowell   Email jasonepowell         Edit/Delete Post 
3500 words of absolutely terrible, yet somehow glorious, dreck! Look at me pollute the page! WOOHOO!
Posts: 1281 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
*pats quid on head comfortingly*

There, there. [Kiss]

Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Thanks, Nell. I feel better already. [Razz]
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Bless you, Narnia. That really does make me feel better. [Smile] And encouraged. I might actually make it this year!
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Van Pelt
Member # 5767

- posted      Profile for John Van Pelt   Email John Van Pelt         Edit/Delete Post 
About 1,500 words today, and a lot of progress on plotting, which I hope will help the rest go faster.

Excerpt, just for the heck of it:
quote:
In Tsuba's office, Hoke went right to the window and breathed a great a sigh of appreciation. If there was anything he loved more than the 'habitants' he husbanded in sub-basement C, it was this view of the city from the 47th floor, and the wonderful realism of its miniature streets.

One might almost imagine he’d gotten himself in trouble just to get here, his breath misting the glass and Tsuba fuming behind him.

Posts: 431 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_hoIes
Member # 6963

- posted      Profile for digging_hoIes   Email digging_hoIes         Edit/Delete Post 
Total so far : 4282.
Posts: 109 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

I have 4375, and I haven't done any writing yet today.

[Taunt]

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
larisse
Member # 2221

- posted      Profile for larisse   Email larisse         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I've broken the 2,000 word mark which is a big thing for someone who avoids writing at all costs despite how good it feels. (Sorta like exercise. I like exercise. I just don't enjoy getting started.)
Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't written anything since my last update. I have no excuses other than my internal editor wants to scrap everything and start over and my external procrastinator/slacker thinks that would be too much work and it is easier to just give up.

The battle rages on and I am stuck in the middle.

Maybe I should write a meta-novel about trying to write a novel for NaNoWriMo.

Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
"The would-be novelist sat down in front of of his computer to begin the daunting task of writing an entire novel in a single month. What he would write was a mystery even to himself. He truly had no idea.

Two hours and several games of Minesweeper later, he still had no idea what he was going to write about. Bravely, he plowed forward with a paragraph about trying to start writing a novel. It was followed by another one about playing Minesweeper. Alas, two short paragraphs were not a novel and no further inspiration seemed likely. The expectant novelist waited. And waited.

Suddenly, a third paragraph sprang out of nowhere!"

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey! You stole my opening!

Now I have to start over again.

Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dh
Member # 6929

- posted      Profile for dh   Email dh         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Raia:
I have 4375, and I haven't done any writing yet today.

[Taunt]

Yeah, well, I'm up to 6228 now, and I've started on Chapter 4. [Taunt]
Posts: 609 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dh
Member # 6929

6464. A nice round number. [Smile]
Posts: 609 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jasonepowell
Member # 1600

- posted      Profile for jasonepowell   Email jasonepowell         Edit/Delete Post 
hmmm... hitting a bit of a wall here. I don't think my story is that good (it certainly isn't original) and I have at least 2 more episodes of Firefly to watch to finish the series. I think Firefly wins tonight.
Posts: 1281 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

I haven't had a chance to write today. [Frown] I'm absolutely SWAMPED with homework. I've been doing homework straight from 1:00 pm today, and now it's 9:39. And I'm not anywhere NEAR done.

*cry*

CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
Raia: I haven't even started - haven't even settled on an idea yet. So, there's hope for you, honest.
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I have no friends . . . [Frown]
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
larisse
Member # 2221

Neither do I.... [Cry]

Bah.... I am not even out of Chapter 1. I've got a little more than 3,000 words that go absolutely nowhere. And yet, I am having fun. I think.

This thread is really keeping me motivated. Thanks guys.

Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

Well, the crying was mainly because I'm sick to death of doing all this homework, I'm screwed for school, and I don't know what to do with myself.

But it's because I can't write for NaNo too, of course.

So thanks, CaySedai!

advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with you there, jason. Right up to the Firefly part, which I don't have.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, the flash version of the author profiles are pretty cool...
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed. Although it's annoying that the links to buddies are not in the same format. [Razz]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
larisse
Member # 2221

See... this is why I cry. No buddies. That and the fact that the ball of my foot hurts. I think I have a splinter.
dh
Member # 6929

Wordcount tricks when you don't know what else to write:

1) Divide what you've written so far into very short chapters, giving each one a very long title.

Example : CHAPTER FORTY-SIX : In Which The Horrible Curse Of The Armenian Were-Wolf (Who Was Of Course The Descendant Of Romulus But We Will Learn More About That In This Chapter) Comes To Horribly Bloody Fruition.

2)Also, dedication. Write a long-winded dedication, or more than one, to several different people who are wholly unconnected with your novel and insert after the lengthy title at the beginning.

3)If you are really stuck, insert a profound quotation before every chapter.

4) Write a couple pages of acknowledgements. These must be seperate and unconnected to the dedications, but do not have to be connected to the novel either.

That should boost your wordcount by a couple thousand words, at least. [Smile]

Enigmatic
Member # 7785

I had thought of DH's suggestion #1 as well, probably because I've read the romantic histories by Parfi of Roundwood. [Big Grin]

Another trick I accidentally found in my own story, if your writing fantasy anyway, is magical incantations. Make sure that any magic used in your fantasy world requires lengthy, repetitious incantations and write them out every time someone casts a spell!

--Enigmatic.

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 

This is more dedication than I've ever shown to something not work or school related . . .

*smiles*

Edit to add:

Hah! 5000 words! In 4 days. Who woulda thunk?

[ November 05, 2005, 12:26 AM: Message edited by: Shan ]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
*hoping to get started next week - if she can settle on an idea*

[Roll Eyes]

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amka
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi guys. I know, I barely post anymore, but I'm in.

I've always wanted to do a post apocalyptic story, but was never going to it because it is such a cliche and I couldn't possibly publish it.

Perfect for NaNo, yes?

Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
6200 words - and at last! I have an actual novel idea, with plot, characters, story line!

Five days of just writing whatever, and I at last broke through. Yay!

And now I'm excited.

I'll check in, but I may be fairly absent now . . . *rubs hands in anticipation*

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

4700 words at the moment. I'm hoping to really lay into it over the weekend and maybe catch up to the daily wordcount quota, before slipping behind again once work starts.

So, does anyone else find themselves avoiding compound words, hyphens, and contractions?

--Enigmatic

dh
Member # 6929

*raises hand*

Also, I have discovered an unsuspected benefit of telling my story in the first person. My MC is constantly interrupting his own story to make some comment or directly address the reader, then abruptly gets back to the point a paragraph or two later. It's great. [Big Grin]

Also, my novel is so incredibly sappy I'm about to puke. I need to skip to the action part in the next chapter now...

dh
Member # 6929

Wait, do two words connected with a hyphen count as one word?
Cali-Angel-Cat
Member # 8799

- posted      Profile for Cali-Angel-Cat   Email Cali-Angel-Cat         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually sat down and did some work on one of my Novels yesterday.

I had an idea for something I have planned to happen in the novel, just having problems figuring out how to pull it off!

*Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!*

Posts: 113 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dh
Member # 6929

Currently experiencing a form of writer's block.

I know what the next event will be, except... I need to write a transition of a certain length to get there, and I'm not really sure how.

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I have index cards.

Lots and lots of index cards.

What I really want is a Huge Dry Erase Board.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cali-Angel-Cat
Member # 8799

- posted      Profile for Cali-Angel-Cat   Email Cali-Angel-Cat         Edit/Delete Post 
lol, If I had the space my new desktop would be in my room instead of storage!

Okay, what is the most emotionally charged way of reveling to a character that the family you always thought was your own, is not?

I'll fill in blanks if you want me too, just ask.

Posts: 113 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
so the character doesn't know that his/her family isn't theirs?
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

I'm planning on writing 50,000 words this week, starting Monday morning at 8 am. It's for a book in a week challenge for another email group I belong to. I should then have my NaNovel done by next Sunday night, at least in terms of having the minimum winning amount written.

And no, I still haven't written a word. Sheesh.

What are my current excuses? Well, I have a 1000 word article to write today for a Christmas magazine issue. Um, yeah, that's it. No other excuses. Oh, unless we want to count my puny little headache. [Smile] And the lightheadedness. But no, we're not counting those.

mackillian
Member # 586

Did I mention I've got index cards? I've even got some colored ones.
Cali-Angel-Cat
Member # 8799

Nope she doesn't.

Her real father is the man she's called Uncle all her life.

mackillian
Member # 586

I think it's hard to say what would be the most emotionally charged way of revealing that to her without knowing the character.
Cali-Angel-Cat
Member # 8799

Let me start a new thread and give some details, okay?
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

quote:
Originally posted by dh:
Wait, do two words connected with a hyphen count as one word?

MS Word counts hyphenated words as one word. I'm not sure if the Nanowrimo official wordcount thing does or not.

Btw, novelists, if you're going by the daily quota you should have 10,000 words by the end of the day today. I'm at 6000, but haven't done any writing yet today and have no other plans for the evening.

See you in the epilogue,
--Enigmatic

dh
Member # 6929

I've been having problems lately, what with working all the time and knowing where I want my novel to go, but not sure how to proceed. I'm just under 10,000. The first couple days I wrote almost double the daily quota. [Frown]
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.