FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Catholic Church no longer swears by truth of the Bible (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Catholic Church no longer swears by truth of the Bible
dawnmaria
Member # 4142

- posted      Profile for dawnmaria   Email dawnmaria         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a far cry from my days with the nuns.
quote:
THE hierarchy of the Roman Catholic Church has published a teaching document instructing the faithful that some parts of the Bible are not actually true.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,13509-1811332,00.html
Posts: 601 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
Really? My mom was taught by nuns and they had accepted at that time she was in school that certain parts of the old testament were not completely historically accurate. I thought that was pretty well understood for the past century.
Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarahdipity
Member # 3254

- posted      Profile for sarahdipity   Email sarahdipity         Edit/Delete Post 
I second Theaca on that. I am the product of 12 years of Catholic education and I was taught that certain parts of the bible were not completely historically accurate.
Posts: 872 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
But this is not common knowledge -- i was just listening to a religious station on the radio the other week in which a minister claimed it was essential to take the Bible completely literally.
Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been a Catholic my whole life, and as I stated in another thread, I don't take the whole Bible literally either. I was also taught evolution as pretty much fact at my old Catholic school. So I've never, ever been able to understand the view that all that scientific evidence MUST be false, or placed there to test us.

I mean, I can understand it now, but I still don't believe it. After all, my Catholic priest himself talked about how Revelation wasn't actually a prophecy for the end of the world, but instead was actually talking about contemporary events in code. (This was in regular conversation, not a sermon, though.)

Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarahdipity
Member # 3254

- posted      Profile for sarahdipity   Email sarahdipity         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonide, was the minister Catholic?
Posts: 872 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, because i remember him referencing the Pope at one point.
Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
I was raised Catholic too and they always taught us in religion class that the Bible isn't totally accurate.
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't take the Bible completely literally, I see most of it(like Revelation) as symbolic, but I still believe the symbols to be completely true. Does that make sense?

Then again, I'm Baptist.

Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

i was just listening to a religious station on the radio the other week in which a minister claimed it was essential to take the Bible completely literally.

I wasn't aware that many Catholics held this opinion. Catholic literalism certainly isn't a huge movement, if it even exists.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
And this is why the rabbis instituted a day of mourning to commemorate the translation of the Bible in the days of Ptolemy II. And why God gave most of the Revelation in non-written form.

<sigh>

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
Ya know, I'm kind of glad that the Bible isn't taught as being totally accurate.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarahdipity
Member # 3254

quote:
And why God gave most of the Revelation in non-written form.
I'm think I'm not sure how you believe he gave the rest of the Bible.

Catholics believe that the Bible is the inspired Word of God. They also believe that as the inspired word of God it was written by Man. This can lead to a nonliteral translation of the Bible. Also I don't think that believeing that Geneisis is a story of the creation of the world would lessen the belief that God created the world even if you don't believe that it happened in 7 days.

Oh I'm not explaining myself well. argh. *runs off to class*

Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
Some notable early church fathers (Jerome and Augustine, for example) were already strongly of the opinion that the seven day creation story was not literally true, so, yes, as many people have said, this is hardly "news".

Must be a *really* slow news day.

As Sarah points out, too, not being a biblical literalist is *not* the same as saying the bible is "wrong" on some points.

And after all, it only makes sense from a Christian perspective... if Jesus can "only do what he has seen the Father do" and Jesus taught in parables, doesn't that mean that God did at some point as well?

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TrapperKeeper
Member # 7680

- posted      Profile for TrapperKeeper   Email TrapperKeeper         Edit/Delete Post 
Im glad to see they published that. The people who are trying to teach creationism in science classes need to read it.
Posts: 375 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TrapperKeeper:
Im glad to see they published that. The people who are trying to teach creationism in science classes need to read it.

Got to remember though most of those pushing for creationism are not Catholic. Having spent 4 years in Catholic high school, and not being Catholic, I can attest they are definitely a lot more liberal than most branches of Christianity.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
OK, I'm going to jump over the miserably bad reporting here:

quote:
Catholic Church no longer swears by truth of the Bible
First, as people have pointed out, the "no longer" is misplaced here. Further, this headline is an almost total misrepresentation of this:

quote:
“We should not expect to find in Scripture full scientific accuracy or complete historical precision,” they say in The Gift of Scripture.
"Truth" is an inadequate summary of "accuracy" or "precision."

quote:
Some Christians want a literal interpretation of the story of creation, as told in Genesis, taught alongside Darwin’s theory of evolution in schools, believing “intelligent design” to be an equally plausible theory of how the world began.
"Intelligent design" is not the same as literal creationism. This is just plain sloppy.

The rest is no better.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks dags. [Smile] That's what I had noticed as well, but you put it much better than I could've.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parsimony
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for Parsimony           Edit/Delete Post 
Also, true and literal are not the same things. Something can be true without being literal.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 367 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
In my experience, many, many Catholics believe in a form of intelligent design (although I'd say it generally doesn't rank high on their priorities), but there's relatively few literal creationists.

I don't know if it would be appropriate to say that they are more liberal than evangelicals, although they tend to be on many issues. The differences in how they see the world and their religion are by no means adequately covered by a liberal/conservative split.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

Also, a radio minister referencing the Pope doesn't mean that they're Catholic. Many of them feel that the current Pope is on their side in the culture war they're trying to foment, so it's not uncommon for non-Catholic evangelics to reference the Pope, at least in part to get more Catholics on their side.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SC Carver
Member # 8173

- posted      Profile for SC Carver   Email SC Carver         Edit/Delete Post 
The problem most fundamentalist have with saying the Bible isn't accurate in one area is that it opens the door to throwing out any part you don't like, at which point you’re making up your own religion loosely based on the parts of the Bible you like.

If it's not accurate in the creation story, then it's probably not accurate when it comes to all those miracles, or the divinity of Christ.

Then you could take it a step further and eliminate any parts which condemn homosexuality, sex out of wedlock, ect.

The whole slippery slope thing.

I agree this is a sloppy article aimed at starting a controversy, but if it is true the Catholics are teaching the Bible is not completely accurate I can see why many Protestants don’t agree with them.

Posts: 555 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
The problem most fundamentalist have with saying the Bible isn't accurate in one area is that it opens the door to throwing out any part you don't like, at which point you’re making up your own religion loosely based on the parts of the Bible you like.
I've seen few fundamantalists walking around with missing eyes; it seems everyone applies some judgment as to which parts to take literally.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

quote:
If it's not accurate in the creation story, then it's probably not accurate when it comes to all those miracles, or the divinity of Christ.
The biblical creation stories are obviously not accurate in a literal sense. They are mutually exclusive, in that they describe things happening in a different order.

I'd argue that insisting that everything in the Bible must be literally true, even when it is impossible or extremely unlikely that this is so is at least as much throwing out the parts you don't like.

Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
If every detail of the Bible were true, why are there so many different Bibles that differ on the details? I wonder what would happen if I made my own translation of the Bible - would it have to be true?
Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SC Carver
Member # 8173

- posted      Profile for SC Carver   Email SC Carver         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tresopax:
If every detail of the Bible were true, why are there so many different Bibles that differ on the details? I wonder what would happen if I made my own translation of the Bible - would it have to be true?

There is an entire field devoted to resolving the apparent differences in the Bible. It’s called Apologetics. I am not an expert and really not that concerned with it. But you can look it up if you are interested.

An accurate translation should always go back to the oldest available text. Translating 5000-2000 year old Hebrew and Greek is not easy for a lot of reasons. Different approaches in translating are why there are many different versions. Most seminaries require Greek and Hebrew so if a pastor ever has a question he can look up the original text.

Posts: 555 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
There is an entire field devoted to resolving the apparent differences in the Bible. It’s called Apologetics.
BZZZZZZZT . . . Apologetics is concerned with explaining and/or defending the doctrines of Christianity to non-believers. This may include resolving contradictions, but that is by no means the entire field.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

Apologetics is more the field of making arguments for the truth of what you believe... just for the record [Smile]

For example, G. K. Chesterton's Orthodoxy and C. S. Lewis's Mere Christianity are widely considered apologetic works, even though they touch on very little of the bible and don't quote directly from it very often, if at all (I think... it's been a little while since I've read them all the way through).

Speaking of which... Dag, how's your GKC oddessey coming?

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Hehe - This month, contrary to everything I've read about third year of law school, has been by far my busiest since I started. GKC is going to have to wait until Fall Break.
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

ah well... meantime I seem to have forgotten how to spell "Odyssey"... nope that doesn't look right either... help anyone?
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Odyssey
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
(restrains self from commenting on the utter foolishness of "biblical literalism")

(realizes he's just failed)

Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Parsimony:
Also, true and literal are not the same things. Something can be true without being literal.

I never did understand that particular piece of sophistry. The water in the rivers in Egypt turned into blood. Did it, or didn't it? If it did, then the statement is true. If it didn't, the statement is not true.

How can you have a statement that is simultaneously correct and false? Or incorrect and true? Can you point to an example in real life?

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by sarahdipity:
quote:
And why God gave most of the Revelation in non-written form.
I'm think I'm not sure how you believe he gave the rest of the Bible.
See here.
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
I think a figure of speech can be a powerful way of communicating truth. And yet, it is by definition not literal.
Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
I never did understand that particular piece of sophistry. The water in the rivers in Egypt turned into blood. Did it, or didn't it? If it did, then the statement is true. If it didn't, the statement is not true.

How can you have a statement that is simultaneously correct and false? Or incorrect and true? Can you point to an example in real life?

"Take up your cross and follow me."

It doesn't mean you're supposed to pick up an engine of execution and carry it around.

Few people speak literally. When you "grasp" an idea, you haven't touched it. When you face your fear, you may or may not actually turn your face toward what you fear.

Jim-Me
Member # 6426

Man has used myth and parable to communicate truth for ages...

Are Aesop's Fables literally true? Does that mean they contain no truth?

Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
Definately, true and literal do not mean the same things. Parts of the Bible can be taken as literal, but parts also shouldn't. But it, IMO, is all true. The argument of what to consider literal and what not is the problem, and its one I struggle with whenever I get into theological discussions. Everyone seems to interpret things differently. Imagine that. I think its an unresovable issue personally
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fil
Member # 5079

- posted      Profile for fil   Email fil         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"Take up your cross and follow me."

It doesn't mean you're supposed to pick up an engine of execution and carry it around.

Second Amendment lovers would agree with this, I think! [Big Grin]
Posts: 896 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fil
Member # 5079

- posted      Profile for fil   Email fil         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"Intelligent design" is not the same as literal creationism. This is just plain sloppy.
It surely is in the minds of most Americans who are debating it. Just as people mistake "The Origin of Species" with "The Origin of Life" which are clearly different concepts, especially to Darwin, but are mixed up into one. Creationists are using the same arguments but couching them in "Intelligent Design" but it isn't any different than the stuff we read about with the Scopes trial in substance. Maybe bits and pieces of words or phrasing are different but in the larger context, they are the same exact argument to most people that talk about it.

True, Catholics aren't pushing the Creationism agenda but any time a GIGANTIC Christian organization takes a stand, it can have ripples. It is a good move and one long needed.

Posts: 896 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Of the notorious anti-Jewish curse in Matthew 27:25, “His blood be on us and on our children”, a passage used to justify centuries of anti-Semitism, the bishops say these and other words must never be used again as a pretext to treat Jewish people with contempt.
Great. Simply GREAT. Last year we spent months studying Augustinus and how his decrees affected the different crusades, how Pope Urban related to it all and what happened to different Jewish communities.

And now the Church remembers to condemn its Antisemitic implications? Gee, thanks!

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

JH, It's done so on numerous ocassions since JPII became Pope.
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
Also:

quote:
God reveals himself to Moses as: “I am who I am.”
Never translate this phrase into any language, for it is intranslatable. Like "selah", keep it "ehyeh asher ehyeh". But if you must, translate as "I WILL BE who I WILL BE". It's future tense, for God's sake! אהיה, not הוה.

Eeesh!

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

I prefer "I yam what I yam and that's all what I yam."
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan Howard:
Also:

quote:
God reveals himself to Moses as: “I am who I am.”
Never translate this phrase into any language, for it is untranslatable. Like "selah", keep it "ehyeh asher ehyeh". But if you must, translate as "I WILL BE who I WILL BE". It's future tense, for God's sake! אהיה, not הוה.

Eeesh!

*laugh* I knew there had to be something, somewhere, in כל התורה כלה that we agreed on. [Big Grin]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Would it translate better as "I shall be who I choose to be?"
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Definitely not.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

What would be a better translation, then? Don't worry about making it fit the rhythm: what would best encapsulate the meaning?
rivka
Member # 4859

As I said, I agree with Jonathan on this. It's untranslatable.

If you insist on a closest approximation, then "I shall be what I shall be." But it completely fails to capture the meaning of the phrase. As well as the fact that it isn't meant to be a phrase at all, but a Name.

Even Onkelos (whose translation of the Torah into Aramaic is printed side-by-side with the Hebrew text in most Chumashim) doesn't attempt to translate it.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

quote:

But it completely fails to capture the meaning of the phrase.

What is the meaning of the phrase, then?
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.