FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What is your favorite sandwich? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What is your favorite sandwich?
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually get almost too many avocados from people here. I love them, and eat them on sandwiches, salads and in guacamole, but my children won't eat them and I end up giving away about half of what I get.

My children really cramp my eating style these days. Back when I was cooking for a crowd every day, I'd make whatever I liked and, while I usually had one or two that complained about what I'd made, the food always got eaten. Now that it's just me and my two youngest, if I make something they don't like, I'll end up eating it all myself. So I cook for them. It gets very boring. They don't like enchiladas, or pretty much anything spicy. They don't like tofu. They don't like beans very much... [Frown] I miss eating mexican food 3 nights a week.

My older children give me grief that I "cater" to the younger ones so much, but it's just not worth it to make a batch of enchiladas or lasange that only I will eat. So we eat a lot of teriyaki and the like.

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Remind me a day or two before we get together next, and I'm sure I can snag you a few.

Especially if you don't mind having to trim 'em. The squirrels seem to like taking nibbles before they're quite ripe.

I don't mind at all. And okay. [Big Grin] Thanks!
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
maui babe, I could eat avocados plain with a spoon every day for the rest of my life. Seriously.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
The Crawdad Po' Boy at Copeland's.
Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
I like them with lime juice and salt and pepper. But not every day for the rest of my life. Certainly when I was pregnant though.
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Copeland's! That place is awesome!

I love all kinds of sandwiches. Especially with bacon. Mushroom cheeseburgers with bacon. Yum!

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
Halfway through reading thsi thread. I am salivating and laughing at how this topic changed from Tante's favorite sandwich to Thanksgiving traditions.

My grandmother didn't like turkey and since she was the one who made the whole dinner in my family, we never had it. (She also made us eat the cranberries with the berries still in them which we all hated; the jellied ones are best especially since they make that cool noise coming out of the can!) I had never eaten roast turkey until I was all grown up. She died several years ago and all our traditions have changed so we eat turkey now. A tradition that has survived though is a fruit salad (not jello) with marshmallows. I made it the other day for a church function and it made think of Thanksgiving. Yum!

My favorite sandwich... Hard to say. I LOVE sandwiches. PB&J is good (strawberry jam with crunchy PB on whole wheat bread) or tuna salad (with pickles) on white toast or almost any deli sandwich with cheese (not Swiss though) and lettuce and mayo with chips and a pickle on the side.... I am HUNGRY! But my fave would have to be the Monte Cristo from Bennigan's.

Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I am off to dinner with friends, and am thinking about sandwiches.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
Tante, thanks for clarifying for me. Once you mentioned it, I realized I had heard about the separate implements for meat and milk. I guess the guy was right.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
I would not call this my favorite currently, but it should be mentioned that when dkw, ElJay, and I were kids we often had braunschweiger (sp?) and cakedonut sandwiches. And we loved them.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
There is this restaurant that just opened called the Full Belly Deli.

My 9 year-old son has perfected a stolen recipe from them and we call it the Full Belly Indy:

sliced ham
sliced turkey
provolone cheese or subtitute pepper jack cheese if you like spicy
southwest sandwich sauce (can be found in deli section at Wal-Mart hee hee)
on thick sliced bread and toasted like a grilled cheese.

Serve with pickles (dill or bread & butter) and/or potato chips.

We eat this silly sandwiches at least once a week...

"Hey Indy, how bout a full belly?''.

"OK Dad...(sigh)".

Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Enigmatic:
braunschweiger (sp?) and cakedonut sandwiches.

No offense, but that sounds a little nasty. I think. I looked it up. Braunschweiger is liverwurst. On a donut? [Eek!]
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyway, the fast is over, and we ate... SANDWICHES!

Tuna salad on whole wheat pita.

Cream cheese and lox.

Egg salad.

And ice cream sandwiches for dessert!! [Big Grin]

And as good as that was, there is nothing in the world better than a beautiful long drink of water after you have been fasting all day. It is a piece of Heaven! Really. I'm pretty sure that it falls from Heaven. It felt sooooo good. I could feel it going all the way down into my belly, and then spreading its watery goodness all through my parched self.

I washed down the sandwiches with more water. A delight!

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peek
Member # 7688

- posted      Profile for Peek   Email Peek         Edit/Delete Post 
gyro yummmm
Posts: 112 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.