FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Any dollhouse collectors out there? Or people experienced with silk/linen threads?

Author Topic: Any dollhouse collectors out there? Or people experienced with silk/linen threads?
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
How serious are you or collectors that you know about finding nice furnishings for your dollhouse? I was wondering because I like to do thread crochet, the smaller the better, and I thought there might be a market for lace tablecloths, curtains, bedspreads, etc in the miniature collecting world.

My initial research shows me that the standard dollhouse scale is 1"=1'. Do most manufacturers/craftsmen follow that standard? A few google searches also showed me that most miniature curtains are kind of cheap looking. Do you know of any sites that sell classy furnishings?

So far the smallest work I've done is with #50 cotton sewing thread and a .5 mm hook. I'm planning to look into smaller cotton threads, and possibly silk and linen. Has anybody worked with silk or linen threads? Would they stand up to being crocheted?

I'm not trolling for customers, just trying to begin to gauge the market.

Dollhouse/miniature collectors, crocheters, and other crafty people, I welcome your comments!

--Mel

[ October 10, 2005, 11:42 AM: Message edited by: theCrowsWife ]

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't collect dollhouses, but I do sometimes buy some dollhouse furniture to use in conjuction with some of my action figures and stuff (like if I'm trying to make a certain shot and I need a certain item/piece of furniture). If I had any information I thought you might find useful, I'd post. Unfortunately, I don't. Most of the stuff I buy, I get from the dollhouse type section of my local Hobby Lobby.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I've woven lenen thread, and it was stronger than most cottons, so I'd say it would be good for chrochet, I'll ask my grandma about silk when I call her tommorow.

I don't collect dollhouses, but I do know the scale is one foot equals one inch, or 1/12. I collect model horses, some in that scale, so I have bought a few props (mostly fences and the like) for them from doll house stores, my brother has bought me some tea sets in that scale too.

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone else?

[/shameless bump]

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. I need to get Operaetta a nice dollhouse. Ok, really I just want one and she's a convenient excuse.

But wow...I just crocheted with thread for the very first time a few weeks ago and it's hard! It definately took me some getting used to. What's really cool though is that the hook I used was part of a set given to me for my birthday by Mr. Opera's grandmother - the hooks originally belonged to her mother. Isn't that neat?

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
My grandmother did this a lot. She made the dolls that went inside as well, starting with the molds, paiting them, weaving the hair, and making the clothes.

I have done it a little bit, mostly as part of mother-daughter-granddaughter bonding experiences. I didn't get into it big time, though, and I'm not a part of that world now, so I can't help with advice. I'm sorry.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! This sounds interesting! Can you post pictures when you have some ready?
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't do dollhouses, but I love the idea of a thread about threads.

That is all.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
I use silk thread for applique. The reason it's often used in applique is that it virtually disappears into the fabric weave. It's so fine that I can't imagine crocheting with it. If you try, you'll have to let us know how it works!
Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

I just got some silk thread to work with. It looks like it is about the width of #50 cotton sewing thread, which is the thinnest cotton thread I've been able to find. Now I need to go find a nice pattern to try out the silk thread with.

I taught myself thread crochet after I was given a set of steel hooks that had belonged to my husband's grandmother. I have since bought my own set so that I would have all the sizes (it goes down to .4 mm!). I actually find it easier than working with yarn because the yarn is so bulky.

I also bought some earring making supplies, because I plan to make tiny crocheted snowflake earrings. I'll post pictures when I have a set completed.

--Mel

Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
I cross-stitch with silk periodically. I don't know how it would hold up for crocheted pieces, but I do love the feel of it in my hands as I work and it gives a bit more of a sheen to my project than cotton floss does. My favorite is Rainbow Gallery's Splendour line. That comes in a 12-ply, I think 8 or maybe 10 yards to a card, for about 2.50 a card.

Periodically when I look through some of the catalogs I receive, I see kits for mini rugs intended for doll houses. I think those are done in petit pointe, which is something I want to try someday... before I lose my close vision.

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

I doubt that silk embroidery floss would hold up to crocheting any more than cotton floss would. The thread has to be tightly spun or else it will fuzz when it is crocheted. Since thread crochet is supposed to look crisp, embroidery floss is right out. Thanks for the recommendation, though.

As I was pondering where I might find really thin thread, I realized that I should look at the place where I got my tiny crochet hooks: Lacis. And sure enough, they have cotton thread going down to #185! Yikes. I'm thinking I'll try the #120 thread when I get a chance, and see how it works with my smallest hook. That site also has silk and linen threads for lacemaking, which is exactly what I want.

--Mel

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.