FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » My famous recipe of the crêpes (for Steve and all hatrack)

Author Topic: My famous recipe of the crêpes (for Steve and all hatrack)
Choobak
Member # 7083

- posted      Profile for Choobak   Email Choobak         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't forget you, steve ! That is my recipe :

First, ingredients :
In the proportion,

250 grammes of flour (if possible fluid floor)
Around 30 gramme of sugar
A pinch of salt
a vanilla sugar sachet
3 eggs
1/2 litre of milk
a parfum like rhum or Grand Marnier. My favorite is orange flower water.
And the most important : around 25 cl of beer.

I give the ingredients in the order of use.

Cook materials :`
A frie pan (if possible a crêpe pan)
A salad bowl
A wood spoon
A Ladle
A plat plastic spatula for frie pan
A bowl with cook oil with a square of absorbing paper
something for the proportion (graduate glass for exemple)
A glass for the end of the beer [Big Grin]

so, first put all the powder ingredients (flour, salt, sugars, vanilla sugar) in the bowl, and mix them. Finish the mix by a hole in the middle.

Break eggs and put them into the hole.
Add a little part of the milk, and begin to mix the all in the bowl (be cool at the begining) break the yellow of egg during this operation. And you need to be strong in your movement next to have a smooth pastry.
Add progressivelly the milk and continue to mix the pastry to assimilate the milk. Your pastry must be really fluid
Then add the parfum in the pastry and mix.
And finally, add the beer and mix.

You can let the pastry during an hour. It's better. But if you've not the time, it's not necessary.

Then the fries :
For that you need to choose correctly the temperature. It depend of the material you have, so try with the first crêpes.
Warm your crêpe pan and then use the absorbing paper with oil to oil the pan.
Take a padle of pastry and poor into the pan. Use a good rotation of the hand who take the pan to spread the pastry on the pan surface.
When the rim (?) of the crèpe become dry and a little coloured, Use the spatula to change the side of the crêpe.
Sometime the crêpe become pump up. It's normal. no problème.
If you have a problem to switch the crêpe it wil be because you've not a good pan, or because you added too much sugar on the pastry, or because you forgot to oil the pan (do it for each crêpe)

Then you can serve it with sugar, nuttela or marmelade.

Enjoy !! [Smile]

[ November 05, 2005, 08:59 AM: Message edited by: Choobak ]

Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
yay
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I found it. [Smile] This is wonderful - thank you for the recipe. I'll e-mail it to Steve right now. [Smile]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
How do you convert grammes of flour into cups?

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
It's 250g to 1 cup, I believe.

[edit] Unless grams, here, is referring to a weight measure; then I don't know.

[edit no.2] And then I realise that grams is always a weight measure and millilitres is the volume equivalent, so I haven't the foggiest. I blame it on way too little sleep.

Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Farmgirl:
How do you convert grammes of flour into cups?

FG

There are approximately 3 cups flour/pound and 2.2 pounds/kg. Running the numbers through, I get that 250 g flour --> 1 2/3 cup flour.

This is however not terribly accurate since the 3 c flour/lb rule is highly variable depending on whether the flour has been sifted or not.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Also,

30 g of sugar ~= 1 1/5 Tbsp.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
Oooh.

quote:
25 cl of beer.
What's a cl?
What's a vanilla sugar sachet?
What's a parfum, and in what amount?

Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
my guess is cl = centiliters (check out this interesting conversion site)

the vanilla sugar sachet - in Europe, vanilla flavoring comes in powdered form in a packet (rather than the liquid form you find in the US). I would imagine you could substitute a small amount of liquid (like 1/4t)

By parfum, I think he's referring to a flavoring agent - liquor, extract, etc. Usually they're used in small amounts (like fractions of a teaspoon) because they are quite strong

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone care to convert the whole recipe for an ignorant American like myself?
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
Originally posted by Valentine014:
Anyone care to convert the whole recipe for an ignorant American like myself?

1 2/3 all purpose flour
1 1/2 Tbsp sugar
A pinch of salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 eggs
2 1/4 c milk
liquor (such as rum, grand marnier) or orange flower water. added to taste.
~ 1 cup beer

aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Except for liquids*, a volume measurement varies greatly in terms of the actual amount of any given ingredient depending on the granularity of the ingredient and how tightly packed it is.
To see an example of the difference: sift flour into a measuring cup, level it off by brushing across the rim with a straight edge to remove the excess, then pack/tamp down the flour left within the measuring cup.
While cooking remains an art, at it's most basic level, cooking is chemistry.
And this lack of precision in volume measurments is why scales are becoming more commonly used in the kitchen as American cooks convert over to weighing incredients instead of using volume measurements.

BTW: As a general rule, don't try to create LARGE batches of a recipe by simply multiplying the numbers in the recipe. While it (usually) works okay when doubling a batch, it often doesn't work when the batch sizes are substantially larger.
You can end up with surprisingly eg salty results even though the proportions between the ingredients remains the same.

* The same volumes of two apparently similar liquids can vary greatly in weight also. This is because different amounts of solids, eg sugar, can be dissolved within the liquids. Which is why results can be not-what-you-expect when you use an ingredient with a different brand-name than that specified in the recipe.

[ November 04, 2005, 08:13 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, good. I thought this thread was directed at me. I was confused beyond imagination. It doesn't matter too much, the whatever they're called sound yummy.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

Why Are you the Powerful country of the world with such a bad mesure system ????????

If you like to be complicated, it's your right...

So for parfum, i would give you some exemples :
Ruhm, Grand Marnier, Orange flower water, Calvados, pear liquor (or any other liquor of a fruit)... There is many parfum. One time, i try Malibu (coco) : it was great

For the vanilla sugar, it is a mixe of sugar and vanilla poder. you can use a vanilla liquid (a little).

Another advise for those who begin : don't add sugar, because sugar become caramel and stick to the pan, if you have not the way to change the face of the crêpe.

Enjoy !

Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaiden
Member # 2099

- posted      Profile for Jaiden   Email Jaiden         Edit/Delete Post 
Random notes:

A sugar sachet has approx. 2 teaspoons in it (in my experience).
Vanilla sugar is granulated sugar that's been infused with vanilla. You can sometimes find it in bulk stores. However, to do it at home, put a vanilla bean in about 1/2 lb of sugar and let it sit there for about 2 weeks.

"Fluid" flour means a finer flour then your all purpose. Go for something like cake or pastry flour.

Parfum doesn't have to be alcoholic.

Orange flower water isn't a liquor. It's like rose water, if that helps at all. Specialty stores and possible bulk stores will carry it. Other flavourings would work, but watch it, a little is a lot in this sort of recipe. You can get orange/lemon flavouring from grocery stores, but that's -much- stronger then orange flower water. Orange Flower water online.

BTW Choobak, you did a good job translating the recipe. I always find translating recipes to be very hard. Your errors is not knowing what North American's have in their kitchens/stores and what we call things. Which isn't something "easily" learned without actually having lived in that country [Smile]

Posts: 944 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Chooie and Rabbit! Sunday morning breakfast, here I come!
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pepinaso
Member # 8639

- posted      Profile for pepinaso   Email pepinaso         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Chookbak, now it looks like the crepe maker I bought Kat for christmas will get a early use.(hoping that she doesn't read this) Heres to the greatest nation in the world and our obsession with doing things our own way and our stubborness in not using the metric system. Thanks again.

steve

Posts: 7 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

[Big Grin]

Great !

The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
Why Are you the Powerful country of the world with such a bad mesure system ????????
Some people believe that when you are the most powerful country in the world. you can use any measuring system you want. The English, after dissolution of their empire, finally realized that it didn't make any sense using a bad measuring system. The US, having taken their place as the greatest empire in the world, has not yet been sufficiently humbled to make the change.

And if you think it doesn't cause us problems, ask NASA.

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
*sneaks in carefully to hug her brother; carefully averts eyes to avoid reading post* [Wink]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.