FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hiccough cures (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Hiccough cures
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was a kid, I tried every cockamamie trick I heard of to stop hiccoughs. And that's when they didn't hurt. Now I'm 42, and they hurt bad. But I found a cure about 7 years ago that has worked every single time, without exception.

I was thinking about why people find hiccough cures that they swear by, and then they don't work for other people. Do you think it's because of minor differences in anatomy from one person to the next?

Anyway, on the chance that this will work for other people, I take a glass of water, have someone stand behind me with their hands over my ears, and I drink until I run out of air. I come up with a gasp, and the hiccoughs are gone.

Someone told me it had to do with equalizing pressure. I can't figure outhow that can have anything to do with an irritation of the diaphragm, which is what hiccoughs are. I just accept that it works.

Anyone else have any success stories with it?

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
A slice of lemon soaked in Worcestershire sauce works for me every time. It is a bartender's trick. Sometimes, they will use lime and bitters.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Lisa, many of the tricks that I know have to do with increasing the level of CO2 in the lungs (and therefore the bloodstream). I suspect this one is like that.

Wikipedia explains why this works.

Your cure also involves swallowing, which wikipedia seems to think is primarily psychosomatic. I'm not sure I agree.

The paper bag trick always works for me.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
I just hold my breath till I think I'm about to pass out. That usually works. If it doesn't, it's because I could have held my breath longer, so I just start again.
Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BunnV
Member # 6816

- posted      Profile for BunnV   Email BunnV         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
From Wikipedia:
Inserting one's thumbs in one's ears, closing one's nose with one's index fingers, and drinking a glass of water.

Wow, that's some trick. After thinking about it, I figured it'd help to use a straw.
Posts: 326 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
The one I learned from my seventh-grade biology teacher has worked for me every time.

Take a glass of water. Bend over and drink from the opposite rim of the glass.

Usually about half a glass will do it.

[EDIT: And I see that it is listed in the wikipedia article]

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
My dad used to stand me and my sister on our heads when we were little. It worked quite well.

Now I just hold my breath.

Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
My dad always had us swallow/inhale a spoonful of sugar really fast. It's the only thing I've ever tried that actually works every time.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Hee hee.
I wonder how much of it is the BELIEF that the cure will work. Eeryone's method is the only one that has ever worked for them, and works every time.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
Drink a glass of water through a paper (or cloth, maybe) towel. Through a straw you are pinching shut might work, too.
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
Try pressing the tips of your thumbnails together for two minutes. It distracts and calms you.
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
The one that works for me is plugging my nose and swallowing 5 times. If you can only get 4, thats ok.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I take a deep breath and hold it. If it doesn't work before I turn blue, I try again. Doesn't usually take more than two or three breaths.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

Or you can try holding your breath for ten minutes. Always solves all my problems.
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never seen a spoonful of peanut butter, sucked slowly, not work.
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
It would be a cold, sad, grey world if I only did that when I had hiccups.
Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
I drink ten swallows of water without taking a breath. It is the only thing that works for me (although I have never plugged my ears). I have the kind that hurt too and for some reason I will get them a few times in one day and then go forever without getting them again. Weird.
Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
(hopes digging_holes is referring to the peanut butter thing and not the holding breath for 10 minutes thing)

[Confused] [Wink]

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

Hahaha.

Yes, I was referring to the peanut butter. I think if I held my breath for 10 minutes, I would be the one who was cold and grey, not to mention dead.

theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't get the hiccoughs, I get the hiccurps.
And got kicked out of a math review right at the important part because I couldn't stop belching.

Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

Seriously, though, in which country to they say "hiccough" instead of "hiccup"? Is it pronounced "Hickoff" or is there some other odd pronunciation?
Joldo
Member # 6991

I say hiccup. And write hiccup. Hiccough is for elitists.
digging_holes
Member # 6237

I beg to differ. I am an elitist, and I say and write hiccup. Whom.
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
From Wikipedia:
A hiccup or hiccough (generally pronounced "hiccup" independent of the spelling)

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

Really? That's odd, and very interesting (as is usually the way with odd things.)
rivka
Member # 4859

Bologna.
Joldo
Member # 6991

Lasagna.

Of course, that's for'n.

digging_holes
Member # 6237

Yes, but there is only one spelling of that word, isn't there?
rivka
Member # 4859

Which one, baloney?
digging_holes
Member # 6237

I just discovered on dictionary.com that you can also spell it baloney or boloney. I didn't know that.

Odder and odder.

rivka
Member # 4859

I used to collect words like that, but it's been years. They're interesting, though.
digging_holes
Member # 6237

Indeed.

Of course, it should be "Baloni". Seems more elitist. [Razz]

rivka
Member # 4859

You expect English to follow consistent rules?

*blink* [Laugh] [ROFL] [Laugh]

theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was hiccup, but since the person at the top spelled it "hiccough" and it didn't seem entirely off, I decided to follow suit.

Hiccurps however, are not hiccups.
They are an unladylike perversion of this affliction.

Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

No, there should just be an alternate "elitist" spelling for most words. You know, like : "Thair shüd be an alternate élitiste spellinge for moste wordes."
Joldo
Member # 6991

Quite unladylike. You must be ashamed.

And by the way, lasagna is often also spelled lasaney.

digging_holes
Member # 6237

No, it isn't.
Sm34rZ
Member # 8609

- posted      Profile for Sm34rZ           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Joldo:
And by the way, lasagna is often also spelled lasaney.

[ROFL]
That sounds soooo funny to me. I can't stop laughing.

Lasaney! Whew!

EDIT: Or spell right.

Posts: 113 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

Totally true. Cross my heart.
Epictetus
Member # 6235

- posted      Profile for Epictetus   Email Epictetus         Edit/Delete Post 
In the words of Eddie Izzard: "You spell 'through' T-H-R-U, and I'm with you on that, because we spell it 'thruff' and that's just cheating at Scrabble."
Posts: 681 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

[ROFL] [ROFL]

Lovely . . .

rivka
Member # 4859

I have been looking for this poem off and on for years. Eureka!

quote:
O-U-G-H

by Charles Battell Loomis (1861-1911)

I'm taught p-l-o-u-g-h
Shall be pronounced "plow."
"Zat's easy w'en you know," I say,
"Mon Anglais, I'll get through!"

My teacher say zat in zat case,
O-u-g-h is "oo."
And zen I laugh and say to him,
"Zees Anglais make me cough."

He say "Not 'coo' but in zat word,
O-u-g-h is 'off,''"
"Oh, sacre bleu! Such varied sounds
Of words make me hiccough!"

He say, "Again mon frien' ees wrong;
O-u-g-h is 'up'
In hiccough." Zen I cry, "No more,
You make my t'roat feel rough."

"Non, non!" he cry, "You are not right;
O-u-g-h is 'uff.'"
I say, "I try to spik your words,
I cannot spik zem though."

"In time you'll learn, but now you're wrong!
O-u-g-h is 'owe'"
"I'll try no more, I s'all go mad,
I'll drown me in ze lough!"

"But ere you drown yourself," said he,
"O-u-g-h is 'ock.'"
He taught no more, I held him fast
And killed him wiz a rough.

Joldo
Member # 6991

[ROFL]
digging_holes
Member # 6237

<-- is really laughing out loud.
rivka
Member # 4859

In fact, IIRC, that poem (back when I first read it, some 15 years or so ago) is how I discovered that "hiccough" was pronounced "hiccup."

English is so weird. SEVEN different pronunciations of "ough"!

Treason
Member # 7587

- posted      Profile for Treason   Email Treason         Edit/Delete Post 
Mandy--"I drink ten swallows of water without taking a breath. It is the only thing that works for me (although I have never plugged my ears). I have the kind that hurt too and for some reason I will get them a few times in one day and then go forever without getting them again. Weird."

Me too! (all of it) How weird is that ??

Posts: 870 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
bologna
quote:
baloney
The rule is that the singular form is bologna, and the plural form is bologni. [Big Grin]
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
Bending over and drinking from the opposite side of a glass has always worked for me, too. Although sometimes I have to do it twice. I, too, learned it from a teacher--my U.S. History teacher in high school.

Once I didn't have any water, and bending over worked on its own. But I haven't been able to reproduce that.

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
I say le-ZAG-nee for lasagna. be-LOGG-na for boloney. ke-NIGG-ets for knights.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
BOO!!!

(rarely works, but it's awfully fun)

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.