FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » College Marketing

Author Topic: College Marketing
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
With Ivygirl being a senior, and being courted by many many colleges and universities, it has become a daily occurance that she gets mail, and every piece of mail says "look at us! Come here to school!"

I know most of you have been through this phase.

Anyway -- I often find amusing what different marketing techniques different schools use to be "the one" that you actually open and read.

Like the oversized "prescription bottle" Ivygirl received, with letter inside, encouraging her to choose their pharmacy school. Or the multi-colored and uniquely-folded brochures and pamphlets with various attention getters (like the one with the Rube Goldberg machine design)

(I find all marketing ideas fascinating -- probably because I took marketing in college originally)

But the winner to date, in my book, for best design of everything she has received, goes to Northland College of Wisconsin, which simply sent her a package, which contained a yo-yo and a small tutorial sheet that showed one of the Northland students explaining how to do a simply yo-yo trick.

The bright orange yo-yo has on the side "Northland College", and www.northland.edu. And there isn't a single person in the house that hasn't played with it -- multiple times.

So she may not ever actually attend Northland, but it sure got our attention -- much better than all the other mail that just gets tossed in the trash unopened...

what other unique marketing ideas have you seen lately?

Farmgirl

[ October 11, 2005, 03:46 PM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Thats not fair, none of the ones I got came with pill bottles or yo yos, just lots of paper. Some had done their research though, things I had never put on a college survey, like the fact I am dyslexic, and that my great aunt went to Manchester College (but I'm pretty sure she probably filled out a form listing my name and address as a prospective student, I had no clue of that then.)

Ivygirl should go to Purdue. At least last I remember she was interested in vet medicine, and they have a great program large and small animal.

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Yes, vet medicine.

At this point, she is planning to do her undergraduate four years at Central Christian and then apply for veterinary school at Kansas State University.

I believe Purdue would be well out of our price range.... [Smile]

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Kansas State is really good too, one of our vets went there but for zoology, he mostly is the bird vet in town.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm feeling kind of neglected now. I got a forest ror two worth of paper back in high school, but there weren't any that were as cool as the ones you described.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

I think it must have had something to do with --- on her tests (like ACT OR SAT) when they asked questions about college she was interested in, she put "private, four-year" because she planned to go to a Christian college. Because I think every cool thing she has received has been from private schools...

FG

Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
I never got cool stuff like that. Mostly it was lots of brochures. None of it really helped. I got alot of stuff from Missouri because I have family who goes there and as soon as my name popped up in the big system, I started getting mail. Which is crazy cause I was much farther south at the time. College advertisements did absolutely nothing for me. I was getting tons of stuff from Texas universities but I was moving to Lousiana with my family the same month I was set to begin my freshman year. I found the school I attend currently by sheer luck. Saw them at a college fair and my dad, who has a weird sense of humor, pointed them out because their school color, purple, was my favorite color.

I'm gonna start working at a recruiter this month so for those who have been on the other end of recruitment, I'm wondering what kind of information grabs your attention. I'll be doing alot of one-on-one talks and our enrollment office needs the help. The best they've done is put together a website with the most sarcastic, "smarmy" FAQ ever written.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avadaru
Member # 3026

- posted      Profile for Avadaru   Email Avadaru         Edit/Delete Post 
If she's thinking of vet school, LSU has a fantastic school. It's pretty hard to get into, but one of the best in the country.
Posts: 1225 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
Loved checking the box on the SATs to get info from colleges about my potential major.

Despite the fact that I ended up with two very large boxes full of stuff from colleges, I mean that quite honestly. Among all the catalogs etc. came a letter from a woman in the Vienna State Opera, inviting me to a scholarship competition at Converse College. As a potential music major, she told me about the training she had received at Converse.

I almost didn't go. It was a women's college, and I wasn't really interested in single gender education. It was further away from home than I'd originally planned. I came very close to not even going to the competition. However, the woman's letter stuck with me so I sent the RSVP back to the school and headed to South Carolina.

The instant I stepped onto the campus I knew I'd found the college I wanted to go to. I got the scholarship, I was accepted to the Music school, and I packed my bags.

I met some of my closest friends there. I have never regretted my choice, and I couldn't be more grateful that I opened a letter from some woman in the Vienna State Opera.

Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
BTW, if she's interested in Converse (she can take a look at www.converse.edu drop me a line. I can probably get you an application with no fee.
Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember the blizzard of mail I got my senior year of HS (back when getting mail was cool! now it's mostly bills or ads [Razz] ). I didn't get many that were particularly unique.

The ones that tended to both annoy and amuse me were the ones that targeted women specifically, and tried to sell their university on that basis. Caltech's was the most egregious, touting the 40:1 ratio (that they had then, this has changed drastically) of male students to female. I was ticked enough at that one that I showed it to my dad . . . who is on the faculty, and spoke to the admissions office. I understand they stopped using that one. [Wink] But they kept using the one that had a photo of a blackboard full of equations that looked suspiciously like my father's handwriting. [Big Grin]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samarkand
Member # 8379

- posted      Profile for Samarkand   Email Samarkand         Edit/Delete Post 
If she's interested in Veterinary Medicine, she should also check out Colorado State University. Amazing program. http://www.cvmbs.colostate.edu/ [Smile]
Posts: 471 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.