FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Best Thing Since Sliced Bread Contest

Author Topic: Best Thing Since Sliced Bread Contest
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
If someone on this forum doesn't win this I am going to be greatly surprised.

If its not me, I'll be mortified.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jacob Porter
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for Jacob Porter           Edit/Delete Post 
Hatrack as think tank. This should be interesting.
Posts: 178 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Wha..? Bread comes pre-sliced? Huh! That's a great idea!

::wisht I'd a-thought of that::

What's your big idea, Dan?

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Sadly, sliced bread is rarely as good as a nice home-made loaf fresh from the oven, or a well-crafted old-world style loaf from the bakery.

But, that's okay. This is all about beating out sliced bread. Which should be relatively easy.

I have posted my one great idea.

Now if only I could get enough levers and pullies. That $100,000 prize should just about do it.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

I went too artistic on my first suggestion:

In days of old, when Knights were knights
They all fortold that Might makes Rights
Many a fiend, bully and troll
Ruled the lands, or so its told

In days gone by, like World War Two
We all knew just what we must do
For Right made Might, and we were right
So on we fought the noble fight

But now today, they scream and yell
The loud win out, the quite fell
And so it goes, into this night
That Fright makes Right, yes Fright makes Right.

So I shout for all to hear
Give up the politics of fear
The Left and Rright must lose the knack
Of predictions, both vague and black

Show not their faults, evil to come
We will no longer act so dumb
but make a path, to future bright
Show us the way, to what is right.

In other words, stop listening to the fear mongers of both parties, but calmly and reasonably listen to what the politicians propose to do. Let that be your voting guide.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I have this idea for a self-cleaning toilet. Me, I think if I had to chose between slicing my own bread and cleaning my own toilet, I'd go with the self-cleaning toilet over the pre-sliced bread.

Although at present, I clean my own toilets AND slice my own bread. I just make sure to wash my hands really well between the two.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Or you could just make sure to always slice the bread first, you could cut down on hand washing.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

THAT'S your big idea?
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
No no. That's just a regular sized idea. I'm building up to the Big idea.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
I really want sliced bread now, it's one of my favorite snacky foods, and by gum I'm hungry.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't like sliced bread. Too soft.
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
My kids won't eat store bought bread usually. Doesn't compare to homemade. But I'd love one of those slicer things, that do a whole loaf at once.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

They are called Knives. The have been around for a while, at least since last June. I suggest you get one today.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Oh! The cutting wit!
camus
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for camus   Email camus         Edit/Delete Post 
huh? regular kitchen knives will slice an entire loaf at once?
Posts: 1256 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
Certainly!

That's assuming you only want to have two slices, of course.

Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
And really thick slices, too.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Those multi-slice breadcutters are also really really good at slicing fingertips if ya get distracted for the merest instant.
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
I work on the principle of duct-taping several knives together and going at it with all of them.
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.