FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Orson Scott Card's Intergalactic Medicine Show (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Orson Scott Card's Intergalactic Medicine Show
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I got an email saying it was updated very shortly after I sent the notice. [Smile]
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Well - done registered. Looks nifty. Eye-catching, I think. It'd be nice to purchase a year's worth of the subscription rather than by month -

*wonders if that will be an option*

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jacob Porter
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for Jacob Porter           Edit/Delete Post 
The website says that you can buy past issues.
Posts: 178 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Is that Sara as in porcelain girl?
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cactus Jack
Member # 2671

- posted      Profile for Cactus Jack           Edit/Delete Post 
Bought it!
Posts: 241 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
Just bought it. 2.50 is a rather good price.

One thing I was wondering...is there a way to download the entire issue? I poked around a bit, and it doesn't look to be a way to download it (just view the different things online)

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Treason
Member # 7587

- posted      Profile for Treason   Email Treason         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmmm.
I paid through my visa card, but it says I have not purchased the mag on the site.
What up?

Posts: 870 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Treason:
Hmmmm.
I paid through my visa card, but it says I have not purchased the mag on the site.
What up?

I only saw a paypal option. Where was the credit card section at?

Edit:

Just finished buying the issue. I've only had time to read respite, but if the other stories are of similar quality then the magazine easily earns its 2.50.

[ October 15, 2005, 03:25 AM: Message edited by: ricree101 ]

Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Treason
Member # 7587

When it wanted paypal, right next to that it said something like "You don't have to pay directly through paypal, put in your credit card and..yadda yadda."
Posts: 870 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catseye1979
Member # 5560

- posted      Profile for Catseye1979   Email Catseye1979         Edit/Delete Post 
Ya I went through the Crdit Card option too and I got a (#SE-1) error. The credit card option pays to paypal then paypal pays to IGMS. It billed me but due to the error it still says I haven't bought it. With the error I got it gave me a prompt to contact them so I just followed instructions for it, hopefully it gets taken care of in the morning.
Posts: 147 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
accio
Member # 3040

- posted      Profile for accio   Email accio         Edit/Delete Post 
How long does this process take?

[ October 15, 2005, 08:01 AM: Message edited by: accio ]

Posts: 333 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
No problems paying with paypal, everything looks good. One thing: the downloadable software is a cool-looking gear-driven clock that also measures your CPU usage and RAm, which isn't difficult because when my CPU stays at 100% as long as the clock is active. Very attractive, but I don't think I'll be using it, thanks.

The Mazer story is great! On to the rest...

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

Accio, assuming you already have a paypal account the process takes about 30 seconds (at least thats how it was for me).
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Minerva
Member # 2991

- posted      Profile for Minerva           Edit/Delete Post 
Worked fine for me.

I second the idea to have it in some kind of printable format. I'd love to be able to print out a story or two for my commute each morning. I'd even be willing to pay another $1 or $2.

I've read two stories so far, and they were both excellent.

Posts: 289 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Treason
Member # 7587

It's working for me now.
That was a pretty quick fix-Thanks to the Webmaster!
[Smile]

Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
The cover reminds me of "Ensign" art from the early 80s with a Sci-Fi twist. Come to think of it, isn' that around the time OSC wrote for that magazine?
Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
accio
Member # 3040

- posted      Profile for accio   Email accio         Edit/Delete Post 
I got it and read Mazer in Prison. Good stuff! [Smile]
Posts: 333 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Minerva -- the stories are available in a printable format, just click "Print this Page" on the left. I use that and OS X's PDF making capabilities so I can view them in Preview, which I much prefer for reading.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catseye1979
Member # 5560

- posted      Profile for Catseye1979   Email Catseye1979         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm good too now... time to do some reading. hehehe
Posts: 147 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jiminy
Member # 7917

- posted      Profile for Jiminy   Email Jiminy         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have a PayPal account so I just used the card option, and I'm having the same problem. I didn't see an error message, but I got billed, and have the emailed receipt and such, but the IGMS site is still telling me I haven't bought the issue yet. Any ideas?
Posts: 88 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, Sara Ellis was who I meant. Her first "Practical Magic" column is a hoot.
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dav
Member # 8217

- posted      Profile for Dav           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jiminy:
I don't have a PayPal account so I just used the card option, and I'm having the same problem. I didn't see an error message, but I got billed, and have the emailed receipt and such, but the IGMS site is still telling me I haven't bought the issue yet. Any ideas?

I also payed by credit card, and I'm experiencing the exact same problem. Maybe there's a delay when you pay by credit card.

A few hours from now I'm going to check again, and if I still can't read the stories then, I'll use the "Contact" link on the IGMS site to let them know.

EDIT: I did end up contacting them, and they fixed it. Now I can read it, yay!

[ October 15, 2005, 09:11 PM: Message edited by: Dav ]

Posts: 120 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Treason
Member # 7587

I sent them an email through the "contact us" link and they fixed the problem for me.
Edit: I also sent my reciept with the email.
Great stuff!

Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Do you guys know if the story art is done specifically for each story, or is it preexisting art? I like a lot of it!
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
The art was done specifically for each story.

And the art for Eviction Notice rocks. I love it. Couldn't be happier with it.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm loving the Mazer piece too. Great stuff!
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto!

I'm torn between devouring all of it at once and taking it a piece at a time.

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
R. Ann Dryden
Member # 8186

- posted      Profile for R. Ann Dryden   Email R. Ann Dryden         Edit/Delete Post 
I cried at the end of "Eviction Notice".

But, man, talk about a dark story! Whew. As a parent, I could barely read it. It was almost as painful to me as OSC's Worthing stuff. Of course, the Worthing Saga is one of my all-time favorites of his, so maybe I just like pain.

The other stories were mostly dark, as well. But good.

Posts: 180 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
yes, sara ellis as in porcelain girl [Smile]

it is really cool to see all the stories up with their illustrations!
i hope words spreads fast, because i think this is one high quality publication and such a great opportunity for new talent in both writing and illustrating.
glad to hear the good reviews so far.

Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jiminy
Member # 7917

Just thought I'd add that my problem got fixed. I sent an email and they got back to me and took care of biznass with admirable haste. Excellent service.

Why am I using words like "admirable" and "biznass"? All good questions. In time. My lad.

Posts: 88 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I'm enjoying it.

My dad says he'll check it out and probably subscribe tonight. He'll also call my cousin tonight and tell him about it. I'm doing my part to spread the word.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Domasai
Member # 8739

- posted      Profile for Domasai   Email Domasai         Edit/Delete Post 
I signed up as well but my purchase hasn't gone through yet. Which is fine. I realize that no matter how convenient the internet is, it still could use a little debugging and/or speeding up.

EDIT: Nevermind. I was finally able to spot the 'Submissions' button. Yes, I'm quick. Let me tell ya.

EDIT #2: Still don't have access to the issue. Hmm. Starting to get a little twitchy now. Maybe I should doubly support OSC's family and purchase it twice, yeah? lol.

[ October 17, 2005, 12:24 AM: Message edited by: Domasai ]

Posts: 43 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jiminy
Member # 7917

If you paid by card, just send them an email via the "contact" link. That's what I did, and they fixed it right quick. A few (all?) of the people paying by card are having the same problem.
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Paid, loved "Mazer in Prison" and am off to read some of the other stories now. Looks like a great venue--best wishes, OSC!
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in, and looking forward to some reading over lunch.
Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

From slashdot.org:

quote:
Posted by Hemos on Monday October 17, @08:44AM
from the good-writings-to-be-shared dept.
Sci-Fi Books
grammar fascist writes "Orson Scott Card's Intergalactic Medicine Show, a science fiction / fantasy webzine, went online just yesterday. Card, the editor-in-chief, has stayed true to his ideals: quality stories, author's rights, and trust in people's honesty. New stories are released quarterly, with new column installments added monthly to the current issue. New art is created for each story. There isn't even an attempt at draconian content control. Writers and artists give exclusive rights for one year - after that, limited rights. Card wants your stories and art, not your copyrights. I've finished the first issue now, and the stories are great. "Eviction Notice" made me cry, and I laughed out loud at "Loose in the Wires." I paid my $2.50 initially to support the business model, but the stories themselves are worth it."

Link

[Smile]

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
hooray!
Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lord trousers
Member # 8741

- posted      Profile for lord trousers   Email lord trousers         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I posted that story. It was hardly at any news sites, so I got the scoop. [Big Grin] I also got to direct about 500,000 visitors to the Medicine Show site. Bwhahaha!

(I even saw a coworker checking it out. Sweet!)

Unfortunately, the half the discussion devolved into why Orson Scott Card is an "asshat." (Same old, same old, every time he appears in a Slashdot story. His political views make him an evil fascist, and by the way, did you know that Ender is really a sympathetic Hitler? Sheesh.) There were some defenders, of course, which, fortunately, got most of the mod points.

Some good questions came out of the discussion. Why does the Medicine Show require 1 year of exclusive rights when most magazines require first rights? Not that I'm necessarily opposed - it means the company can't keep your rights in perpetuity - I'm just curious. Second, someone was asking about the possibility of a print edition. This would be tricky with the expanding content, of course.

Posts: 73 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

I don't know the why of 1 year of exclusive rights, but it wasn't a hard sale for me-- I don't plan my writing life around reprints. :-) No, I plan my writing life around avoiding the craft PERIOD.

I'm also guessing that OSC is planning on doing anthologies with material selected from the mag-- so that's your print version.

I'm glad you liked 'Eviction Notice.' More correctly, I guess I should say, 'You seem to have liked Eviction Notice. Have a tissue.'

[Big Grin]

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Sadist.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I thought that photo looked familiar, Sara. Haven't seen you around here in a long time. Great column!

Scott, "Eviction Notice" was almost impossible to get through. I had tears in my eyes as well. Geez, make me cry at work.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
The one-year rights as opposed to first rights only may have something to do with the fact that it's online and will allow people to order backissues. I'm not sure if that actually makes a difference in requiring more than first rights as opposed to a print magazine, but I can see how it might.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Domasai
Member # 8739

- posted      Profile for Domasai   Email Domasai         Edit/Delete Post 
Finally got in! The stories are great. Congrats to all the writers and artists; cheers for quality work. Oh, and ... that clock is really quite cool. I'm very fond of it. [Smile]
Posts: 43 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

scott, i didn't realize eviction notice was from you, how awesome.

i, too, cried like the sweet sweet pansy i am.

actually it hit home very hard, i reccommended it to all my friends.

thank you for the compliments. if anyone has any special column requests, hey, let me know, i am to please!

ellissara@hotmail.com
(where almost everything is an exclamation!)

Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
Scott, that story was truly amazing. Eviction Notice and porcelain girl
's column are the only things I've read so far, but I'm already hooked. [Smile] [Smile]

Telling the future using Skittles. [Big Grin] I like it.

Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

quote:
Sadist.
And you liked it. That makes you. . .?
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
I noticed that Eviction Notice was written by a Scott R. I had wondered if that was you! I'm not going to read it now, because apparently it makes people cry, and I'm not up for that right now. But I am looking forward to it.

I did read Mazer in Prison and enjoyed it thoroughly. I'll be letting my friends know about this new magazine. Maybe I'll even buy subscriptions for people I like [Smile]

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
I just finished "Respite". Great Job Rachel! I won't spoil it by saying more. So far I've read only that and "Eviction Notice". That's two for two in the great stories department.
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
PG, that was one funny article! [Big Grin]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

I really liked the stories so far. I thought eviction notice was great (though very sad). Mazer's Prison and Respite were also great reads.

I haven't read hot sleep yet...but I plan on reading it.

Really, of the short stories the only one I didn't like was Taint of Treason. I just thought it seemed more like a story someone would enter in a new writers contest, rather than something that would be published in a real magazine.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.