FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Orson Scott Card's Intergalactic Medicine Show (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Orson Scott Card's Intergalactic Medicine Show
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone else read Loose in the Wires? [Eek!] I liked it, but it's a little strange.
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I liked it very much.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
"Loose in the Wires" strikes me as being one of the standouts. Lots of fun to read. My only disappointment was that it was shorter than I'd've liked.

[ October 18, 2005, 09:11 PM: Message edited by: Noemon ]

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avadaru
Member # 3026

- posted      Profile for Avadaru   Email Avadaru         Edit/Delete Post 
Just registed. I like what I've read so far. [Smile]
Posts: 1225 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
"Loose in the Wires" was good, but I agree that it was too short. I'd like to have learned a little more about the gods worshiped by the bush people.
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoyed Taint of Treason. I sometimes feel I'm incapable of writing anything super-short. (What are the kids calling this stuff? Flash fiction?)

Even my juvenile stories come in at over 1,500 words. I don't think my half my posts here at Hatrack are that short. This story managed, in less than 1,000 words, to have a world that felt fleshed out, tormented characters, and an engaging conflict. If I could do that, I'd be professionally published, too.

It's just different tastes.

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Sara: Your skittles piece was utterly delightful. I loved it.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lime
Member # 1707

- posted      Profile for Lime   Email Lime         Edit/Delete Post 
doc - I have to agree with you. I finished it and thought to myself, "Now that was a form-perfect short story."

Excellent stuff all around, and very much worth the $2.50.

Posts: 753 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Gee ... we were hoping you'd think it was worth $8.95 and you were getting such a bargain ... but at least you don't feel cheated <grin>.
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I love the artwork. Please continue to use Jin Han for future issues. He's great. Evocative artwork.

I found his website if anyone wants to see more of his artwork.

here....

http://www.drawjindraw.com/index.php

Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
U just used the word "artwork" 3 times.
Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
OSC,

When will the next part of Hot Sleep be posted?

I read the first part in one sitting, and loved it.

Also, when you post serial novels, will you post separate links rather than simply continuing it in one long page. It will make it far easier to read if it the parts are separate rather than all pasted together.

BTW, I loved the magazine...and it is a VERY good value.

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

We'll do it. Thanks for the suggestion.
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Very high quality writing. The is a great resource for readers and writers of speculative fiction.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lime
Member # 1707

- posted      Profile for Lime   Email Lime         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Orson Scott Card:
Gee ... we were hoping you'd think it was worth $8.95 and you were getting such a bargain ... but at least you don't feel cheated <grin>.

Cheated? Certainly not, sir! I! I! I am having a hard time coming up with something sufficiently zingy. So I will accept your mild ribbing and retire to eat my lunch.

(Really, I'd pay a bound volume price. I'm kinda shocked it was that cheap. Excellent work all around, and I look forward to future issues).

Posts: 753 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Lessee...at $2.95 I simply signed up.

At $8.95, I would have told my wife, and then signed up.

That's the difference. [Smile]

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
R. Ann Dryden
Member # 8186

- posted      Profile for R. Ann Dryden   Email R. Ann Dryden         Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I think you should be charging more, OSC. I mean, I was recently looking at a small zine that offers both online and print versions. They pay very little to their authors, and still charge almost twice as much as you - for one issue! And there are other similar zines out there, I am sure. Especially considering everything you are offering, I mean, the columns and stories and art and a SERIALIZED NOVEL in every issue. Come on. It's worth a lot. And I know I'm not the only one who thinks so. I bet people would still buy the issue if it was $5.00, or even more.

Anyone else want to comment on the price?

Posts: 180 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with both afr and Ms. Dryden. Not only did I not discuss buying it with my husband, I used his Paypal account without telling him, and he didn't care because it was a very small amount.

If it was more than $5, I'd have called him first, but I'd have still signed up.

If it was more than $10, I would probably still have signed up...but I'm not sure. Now that I've read it, I'd definitely pay that - or more - for an issue.

I think keeping the price very low, at least for the first issue or two, is a brilliant business move. It'll get more people signed up in the beginning...and, like a dealer giving out cheap samples, will hook more readers. [Big Grin]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

Personally, I'm for keeping the price at 2.50.

I rather like keeping a hold of as much of my money as possible.

[Smile]

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by advice for robots:
Lessee...at $2.95 I simply signed up.

Who got the extra $.45? We got scalpers or something? [Wink]

And ScottR, I never said I wasn't.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
I would always pay more for a print magazine than one that is electonic only, regardless of the quality of the stories (the quality is what convinces me to buy it in the first place).

Also, if you're speaking of the same small zine that I am, they charge $3.50 for their online version. Only the print version is twice the cost. And they did just double the amount they pay to authors, based on the sales of the first issue. Some businesses just have to bootstrap their way into the world.

At any rate, I hope that OSC does not increase the price, because I don't know that I would pay much more for electronic-only content. Others may feel differently.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Oliver Dale
Member # 8398

- posted      Profile for Oliver Dale   Email Oliver Dale         Edit/Delete Post 
It seems to me like a $2.50 magazine has a better chance of catching on, word-of-mouth, than a $5 magazine. People are willing to take a chance on a magazine that costs less than their morning latte.

Oh, and as for the year exclusive rights, I think that seems perfectly reasonable. How much would it suck to shell out $500 for a story that's when two weeks later someone could go over to Strange Horizons and read the reprint for free (change the name of the magazine to suit your preference). Hopefully if people learn about the magazine in a few months or even in a few quarters, they'll be inspired to buy a few back issues. That only works if there is still a reason to do so.

Posts: 92 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
"Trill and the Beanstalk" is one seriously awesome story.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aarand
Member # 8745

- posted      Profile for aarand   Email aarand         Edit/Delete Post 
Registered, just waiting for my PayPal transfer to go through so I can subscribe to this issue. As an artist, I'm quite interested in checking out the illustrations. As a geek, I'm quite excited about an awesome new source to feed my particular addiction!

[Smile]

Posts: 26 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lord trousers
Member # 8741

- posted      Profile for lord trousers   Email lord trousers         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Oliver Dale:
It seems to me like a $2.50 magazine has a better chance of catching on, word-of-mouth, than a $5 magazine. People are willing to take a chance on a magazine that costs less than their morning latte.

Yes, yes, yes.

It's like iTunes. If they charged $1.99 per song, they'd lose a lot of customers.

Remember that an online edition, compared to a print edition, is virtually free. There are up-front per-issue costs in paying authors and artists, but after that it's virtually pennies per customer to keep the site up and running. Duplication costs online are very, very low.

Posts: 73 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
You're right, rivka. I guess I got hustled. That's the last time I buy anything at scalper.com.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
So far I've only read Mazer in Prison, Eviction Notice, and the Practical Magic column - and everything's just great! [Smile]

Mazer in Prison immediately made me want to reread all the Ender books. I loved the snarkiness! And it all fit together beautifully.

Practical Magic was hilarious. Are you going to do fortunes for the other Skittles varieties? You know, tropical, sour, etc? [Razz]

And Scott R - whoa. That was intense. I've been doing a lot of Vietnam research for the past couple months too, so all those references really resonated with me. Chilling. And so, so sad. [Frown] (That's a compliment!)

I'm resisting the urge to read all the other stories just yet. I'm telling myself that I'll save them for rewards for doing my homework - but I'll probably have read them all by the end of the weekend. Must the magazine be limited to quarterly? What about an issue every other month? [Wink]

Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
>>And Scott R - whoa. That was intense. I've been doing a lot of Vietnam research for the past couple months too, so all those references really resonated with me. Chilling. And so, so sad. [Frown]

Thanks!

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robespierre
Member # 5779

- posted      Profile for Robespierre   Email Robespierre         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey guys, just wanted to check in and say I was very pleased with the stories on IGMS. Mazer in Prison was great, as was Loose in the Wires. It's a steal for $2.50, quite a micro-payment.

Dragon Clock is rad.

Posts: 859 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
My goodness. We haven't seen you in a while.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Is his head still attached?

If so he is an imposter!!! [Wink]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rusta-burger
Member # 8753

- posted      Profile for Rusta-burger   Email Rusta-burger         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you think either OSC or KDW doing a quarterly article on marketing (like KDW does in SF&F Workshop) would be a good idea?
Posts: 75 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Oliver Dale
Member # 8398

- posted      Profile for Oliver Dale   Email Oliver Dale         Edit/Delete Post 
Marketing what? Personally, I'd prefer seeing IGMS focusing on the readers and not the readers-who-are-writers. Articles on writing should, largely, be restricted to venues intended for writers. So many magazines are already so incestuous about that, I'd prefer seeing IGMS remaining as widely accessible as possible.
Posts: 92 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnbrown
Member # 8401

- posted      Profile for johnbrown           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say keep it cheap and go for volume. Make purchasing it a non-event and get the stories out to a huge audience.
Posts: 53 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

We like where the price is. It's true that it puts our break-even point higher - but we are hoping that word spreads to the huge Ender's Game audience, many of whom are young. What parent would refuse $2.50 for a PG-13 magazine for a fourteen-year-old?

As for preferring print copies - we've made sure that you can print this out in a very 8.5x11 paper friendly way. (Choose the "print this page" option.) Our plan is to offer (soon) very nice, slick folders with the cover printed on, into which you can slip your printed-out pages. Then you can bring the folder to conventions and get the authors to autograph their own stories.

We would, of course, charge for the folders. Then again, we'd have to PAY for them, so we'd charge those who want to go this route. Printing it out yourselves will give you an idea, of course, of how much this sort of thing actually costs when you publish in print form ...

So in a few weeks, we'll have figured out what a fair charge for the cover/folder is, and offer it for sale. The editor will probably presign the first thousand covers of the first issue ... And we would print the cover/folder on good but not glossy paper, so it would be signable. In fact, you could bring the folder to conventions WITHOUT the printouts and try to collect all the signatures <grin>.

Anyway, that's what we're thinking ... but we'll see how many people buy issue 1. Right now we're just over a thousand - that's one-tenth of the way toward profitability.

As for making it more frequent than quarterly - we will NEVER make it more frequent than the number of excellent stories will allow. But if the quality of submissions warrants it, and the number of purchasers allows it, of course we'll put out issues more frequently. Since we don't have to meet a postal schedule for bulk mailings, we can publish as many issues as we want - though if we publish TOO frequently, there won't be time for each issue to have its hour in the sun ...

theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh, I like the idea of the folders with the cover art.

For the printing option, is it possible to save it to a disk to be printed somewhere else? I ask this because I don't have a working printer, and I rely on office stores for my printouts. They produce better quality than I could anyway.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
accio
Member # 3040

- posted      Profile for accio   Email accio         Edit/Delete Post 
I filed the print out in a three ring binder with color paper between the stories. My plan is to insert tabs between issues. I also wanted to insert some kind of art (from the home page) in the binder cover but I love the idea of folders with cover art.

Thank you for the heads up!

I like the idea of an annual subscription. It would make a nice holiday gift. [Wink]

Posts: 333 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jin977
Member # 8752

- posted      Profile for jin977   Email jin977         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Scott R:
The art was done specifically for each story.

And the art for Eviction Notice rocks. I love it. Couldn't be happier with it.

[Big Grin]

Hi Scott.

This is Jin, I worked on the drawing for "Eviction Notice. I'm sorry we never spoke, but I'm happy you like the drawing.

It was a great story and I had so many ideas bouncing around when I was sketching out the thumbnails. I look forward to the opportunity to work with you again.

Take care, Scott.

jin
www.DrawJinDraw.com

Posts: 19 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jin977
Member # 8752

- posted      Profile for jin977   Email jin977         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TL:
Well, I love the artwork. Please continue to use Jin Han for future issues. He's great. Evocative artwork.

I found his website if anyone wants to see more of his artwork.

here....

http://www.drawjindraw.com/index.php

Thank you very much for the support, TL. I only saw your posting on the other topic, and didn't notice you had one here as well.

I am always updating my website with new work and news on current projects, so please bookmark the page and check back often!

Again, thank you, TL for the gesture.

jin
www.DrawJinDraw.com

Posts: 19 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you planning to send out e-mails to everyone when the next issue is available? Obviously, those who check Hatrack will know about it, but other people might forget if it's only quarterly and they're not reminded.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

I haven't seen any mention of IGMS in The Ansible yet. Have I just missed it? Maybe I should email Langford and see if he'll mention it in his November issue.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Is the problem with credit card purchase fixed yet?

Cause I don't have (and don't want) a paypal account...

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

There will always be a bit of a time-lag for credit card rather than PayPal purchases. But it does work.

We're still working on sending out press releases. But it's all the better if READERS notify people of a magazine <grin>.

If you signed up for email notification, then you'll be notified. We don't assume people want to get emails from us - you have to ask.

Nathan M
Member # 8762

- posted      Profile for Nathan M           Edit/Delete Post 
I think the magazine is a fantastic idea. I payed the $2.50 to see what it was about, and ended up reading the entire thing. I enjoyed the stories that were in it; it's always fun to sit down and read stories like those.

The expense was well worth it. I will recommend the magazine to my fellow OSC fans, and hope they do the same.

OSC: Will you have reader-submitted reviews about the magazine in the future? Let me know of you want one.

-Nathan

Posts: 4 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

OSC,
I just figured I'd let you know that I posted a message over at Fantasy Essentials (The board run by the Admins at Goodkind's site for stuff not related to Goodkind). Feel free to drop over and say something about the magazine if you wish. We've had a couple of authors drop by in the past when books came out...since there are a good number of fantasy readers over there.

Here is the thread I started:
http://www.fantasyessentials.net/forums/showthread.php?t=8516

Perhaps it will help drum up interest. I really want to push up readership...mostly for selfish reasons (I want it to do well so I can keep reading more issues).

lord trousers
Member # 8741

- posted      Profile for lord trousers   Email lord trousers         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Orson Scott Card:
If you signed up for email notification, then you'll be notified. We don't assume people want to get emails from us - you have to ask.

Excellent! For an old guy, you've got this Internet etiquette thang down pat. [Big Grin] I know of a few marketing folks and CEOs who could learn some lessons....

Anyway, I had only one suggestion on this topic. The magazine is quarterly, so it's really, really easy to forget about it by the next issue. (The stories and artwork are great and memorable, but that only lasts a month or so.) If customers have to ask for updates, it ought to be more apparent that they can. I only found that link lurking around on the lower-left side of the page after finishing most of the current issue.

It should be at the top, near the persistent "My Account" link.

Posts: 73 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Terrific! Thank you. [Smile]
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Eviction notice is fantastic story-telling Scott. Bravo!
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
I just advertised this magazine on the OSC livejournal group.

[Smile] Hopefully it'll get some hits from that (over 150 livejournalers are members).

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

OSC, from mentions you've made about ribbing George R. R. Martin about taking so long in finishing A Song of Ice and Fire, I gather that you and he are on fairly good terms. I realize that in general you want IGMS to showcase emerging talent, but if you were to convince Martin to submit a story to you, it's fairly likely that his sizable online fanbase would be interested in subscribing, at least to that issue. A decent number of them would likely recognize a good thing when they saw it and subscribe in the future as well.
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.