FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Trip to Jordan - Photos, Tales and Tails

Author Topic: Trip to Jordan - Photos, Tales and Tails
firebird
Member # 1971

- posted      Profile for firebird   Email firebird         Edit/Delete Post 
So … I mentioned that I was making a trip on horseback across Jordan a while back and I would like to share my adventure with you. Feel free to skip straight to the photos!

http://homepage.mac.com/jo.evershed/PhotoAlbum1.html

(PS It’s late here and I have my first day back at work tomorrow so this will be brief

Petra!

WOW! To put these photos into context you need to know the following. Petra was built (approx) between 400 and 200 BC. It was the centre of the Nabatean empire and sat on the silk road between the (now) Gulf of Aqaba and the Mediterranean.

These dates are known because of written Chinese record in 200 BC. Sounds simple … it was a little more complicated at the time. Petra had three names.

Petra - meaning Rock.
Al Rakhim - in Arabic also meaning rock
The Flower

The Chinese record referred to a civilization on the silk road called the Leki (Lack E) which took a while to locate until some bright spark realized the given that the Chinese struggle to pronounce the letter R, Rakhim could easily change to Leki.

Petra used to be surrounded by lush rainforest, but the construction of the Nabatean tombs, treasury and monastery contributed to substantial deforestation that in the end contributed to the fall of their empire.

Wadi Rum!

This is where we were riding and sleeping under the five million star hotel for 6 days. The scenery was simply incredible. The sheer scale cannot be captured by me on horseback! But if you ever have the chance to go I highly recommend it!

I was riding the herd stallion. He was very proud of his herd and sang his delight and praises to them every two hours of so. Very noisy indeed. In return they would swish their tails alluringly at him ,which would keep him distracted and contented for the next couple of hours. The only time he would stop checking out the ladies would be during a full tilt gallop across the desert … I think he felt he need to concentrate on winning the race in order to prove his manliness!

Following Wadi Rum we then spent 2 days in the red sea. I went wreck diving which was incredible. Then one day on the Dead Sea stopping by Mount Nebo where moses was shown the promised land and is reported to be buried. Finally we toured the North of the country catching a glips of Syria and driving along the border with Israel.

I might write more about these later!
Good night!

[ October 17, 2005, 02:46 AM: Message edited by: firebird ]

Posts: 571 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. Your pictures are gorgeous and your holiday on horseback sounds unbelievable- an experience of a lifetime. I can't imagine what it was like to actually be there.

Thanks for sharing your pictures. You've made me very jealous. [Razz]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Very cool. [Smile] I've been there -- I actually lived in Amman for a year, and still have relatives in both Jordan and the West Bank. Your pictures brought back some great memories... like riding on a camel named Michael Jackson. [Razz]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Twinky- you have? you did? How old were you?
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
My parents and I lived there for a year when I was 6-7 years old. I've been back since then, though.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow those are some awesome pictures. I really want to go there now and maybe do some excavations!
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
That is SO awesome! Yes, Jordan is definitely going on my list of places to visit someday. [Big Grin]

I don't remember if you said before, but did you go to Jordan by yourself or with someone else? And was any of this part of a package tour? I guessing the horseback riding part probably was. How did you make the arrangements?

*already mentally mapping out future trip details*

Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
firebird
Member # 1971

- posted      Profile for firebird   Email firebird         Edit/Delete Post 
Glad to hear you liked the pictures. This was my first foray out with my digital camera. So it was an experiment as to whether I would use it well. I gave up taking film photos years ago because they were always so terrible … did any one else have that experience? If so … digital is the way to go … it is so much more rewarding!

Hey Twinky ... I should have picked up recommendations from you! D'oh! It is amazing scenery. I found the scenery much easier than the city though ... I think I find Middle Eastern culture a bit uncomfortable. The only real issue is that in any barter situation I always walk away feeling that I have had a bad deal which is a bit exhausting!

Nell ... the trip was partly with a package and partly our own piecing together. I was there with my Mum (only person I know who would be interested and can ride!). I'm very lucky in that I get on well with my Mum and since she is alone now it is nice for us to go on holiday once a year together!

Websites that do the riding are:
http://www.rideworldwide.co.uk/
http://www.trailfinders.com/index.htm
http://www.ridingtours.com/

I’m definitely going to have to make another trip to see the Holy Land at some point. Interestingly there have been practically no Holy Land tours in about 4 years. It finally started picking up again about 6 months ago but if you go to the sites at the moment you practically have them to yourself!

Posts: 571 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.