FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I Made Donuts Today, And They Didn't Suck!

Author Topic: I Made Donuts Today, And They Didn't Suck!
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
The icing did, but who cares about that.

Mind you, making donuts (at least the way I do it) is no great feat. But considering I hadn't done so since I was in 4-H some high-twenty-something years ago, I'm pretty happy that they were edible. Mooselet and I are going to make more after his nap, assuming he takes one. And he ate two of the donuts and liked them, and Superstation ate two of the donut holes, and this morning Mooselet told me I was the greatest dad ever, so I'm thinking it's a good day.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
What's the way you do it?
Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Cut the center out of a Pilsbury biscuit with an empty medicine bottle and drop the resulting circle of dough into hot oil for around 15-20 seconds per side. Not rocket science. But I didn't burn them, so, you know, there's that.

I'll have to keep Mooselet away from the hot oil, of course, but we'll see how he does with the medicine-bottle-hole-punch.

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
Aw, that is too cool.
Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
My family occaisionally (like once every two years) makes doughnuts from scratch. We deep fry them and then dip them in a icing sugar.

Home made doughnuts are delcious, I agree [Smile] .

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
Gotta say I love that idea. I'm not keen on making dough myself. My kitchen sucks for rolling things out/kneading/etc.

I should try that... but it's so fattening. No Katarain! Bad Katarain!

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Pffft, that's cheating, and doesn't taste as good as real home-made donuts. Donut dough isn't too much work. We learned how in my first-semester HS foods class. [Razz]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
That's like how I make my donuts! (Except I don't actually cut a hole in the middle, I just punch a hole with my finger)
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Just throw the "sweet dough" recipe from your bread machine book into the machine. Works really well.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
But then you have to wait more than an hour and a half for donuts, when with biscuit dough you only have to wait as long as it takes to pop the stupid cardboard tube open! [Wink]
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
That's the same way I used to make them when I was a kid, Pillsbury dough and all. Except sometimes I didn't put a hole in them. And, instead of icing them, I just rolled them in a little sugar. MMmmmmmmm.

You know, maybe it's a 4-H thing, 'cause I was in 4-H, too. In fact...you'll get a kick out of this, Pops...we had a field day once at Camarillo High. My demonstration was how to make a baked apple. Ugh.

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
divaesefani
Member # 3763

- posted      Profile for divaesefani   Email divaesefani         Edit/Delete Post 
It's almost Halloween, which means it's almost time for my family to make Spudnuts. Yum! I love traditions like that one.
Posts: 161 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
maybe it's a weird California 4-H thing, because I've been in 4-H for 10 years, and never done anything of the such. I did foods, demonstrations, and all sorts of stuff, even showed animals, gasp.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniK
Member # 3939

- posted      Profile for JenniK   Email JenniK         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I Made Donuts Today, And They Didn't Suck!
SO this means that all the other times that you made donuts, they DID suck? I'm sorry.
At least the Mooselet thinks that you are "superdad", that would make up for all the other sucky donuts! [Big Grin]

Posts: 325 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
My mom makes twisted donuts - the kind that look sort of like the DNA double-helix. I think she might cheat and use frozen bread dough, too, though.

But yay for Pop's non-sucky donuts and his superdad-ness!!
[The Wave]

And yay for 4H!! Are you going to put your kids in it, Papa? You are, aren't you? [Wink]

<-- 11-year 4H member who got kicked out after she was too old. [Big Grin]

Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
California and Texas have the largest 4-H progams followed by IL and IN (where I am). I have all sorts of other 4-H trivia too, and plan to become a youth educator at some point, after teaching for a while and getting a masters. I made a thread about it a long time ago.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

I was in IL for 4H. (I'm in NY now.) If I hadn't gone away for college, I would've liked to get more involved with it at the county level, or maybe even the state - helping with organization and advocacy and such. It's such a great program...really a shame that more kids don't do it.
Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

yeah a lot of my friends regret it now that they've seen how involved I've been. I did crafts all ten years (that's our commitment here 3rd grade to senior year, with some exceptions including me), sewing 8, fashion review 6, dogs six, cats 5, camp 3, several other projects, plus went on two trips, one to state youth school and the other was a dog workshop at Purdue. I was president of all three of my clubs this year, and planned several things on the county level. Next year I'll be a mini leader, then take a while off while I am not living in town, and at some point will become a club leader at least. My kids will do it, probably more so than I did, because I actually know what I'm doing at that point, my parents hadn't been involved except my dad showed cows, just not the same.

What projects did you do Nell?

beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
If someone would list here a good donut-dough recipe, I would be very grateful. [Smile]

I tried to make funnel cakes last month with pancake batter. It was baaaaaad. >.<

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

I was somewhat of a dabbler, but I was mainly in the arts-n-crafts area. Lets see...dog obedience, crocheting and cross-stitching(I forget what the project title was exactly, Textiles? Needlework?), sewing, horticulture judging, and theatre were the main ones, although theatre wasn't an option in IL except for my last 3 years. I also did floral arranging, some sort of baking, geology, vegetable gardening, Passport to the World, photography, I tried painting and drawing once, and I think I did the fashion review one year. Oh, and I showed my horse in a halter class once - Reserve Grand Champion, aka 2nd place out of two. [Big Grin] She was technically a (very) large pony, so there wasn't much competition. I went to the state fair with various things, and I won the county award for club secretary twice. That was the highest leadership role I aspired to - I'd rather support the leader than be the leader. [Smile] Never did 4H camp, but I did go to leadership camp for a week on a 4H scholarship.

How on earth do you have time for 3 clubs?! Just one kept me plenty busy! I was in two for a while, but the other was definitely my "secondary" club - my friend was trying to get a new club started, and she needed moral support.

(Sorry for hijacking your thread, Papa!)

Edit: IL's parameters are age 8 to age 19 by September 1st, or at least they were when I was in it. I think they changed the date to May 1st right after I left...the September loophole meant I was actually in the club from age 8-20. [Smile]

Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I had one, nev...if I can find it, with everyhting being messed up wiht the move, I will post it here, and on Dag's web site.

I love his site, I have used several of those recipies already. [Big Grin]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

We changed the dates my 5th grade year, it had been 10 to 19, now is 3rd grade to senior year, so I was on the old rules. I did 3 clubs my last five years, cats was once a month, not too demanding in any way, dogs was once a week, and could be quite stressful but was incredibly fun, my regular club was every other week, and pretty simple, but it was the one I did all ten years. My leadership trip was the state fair one, it was amazing, I made lots of friends, and all kinds of skills.

I'm jealous you had theatre, even if only for 3 years.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.