FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Ideas for Website

Author Topic: Ideas for Website
Mariann
Member # 8724

- posted      Profile for Mariann   Email Mariann         Edit/Delete Post 
My husband's always wanted his own website, so now that he has one he's not sure what he wants to do with it. He's building a forum for online roleplaying, and I'll probably get my own blog, but other than that... no ideas! So for all of you who have your own website, what do you fill it with?
Posts: 70 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Meaningless junk.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mariann
Member # 8724

quote:
Originally posted by Jon Boy:
Meaningless junk.

Such as??
Posts: 70 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Art Vandelay
Member # 8690

- posted      Profile for Art Vandelay   Email Art Vandelay         Edit/Delete Post 
Who are you going through for web hosting?
Posts: 31 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Right now my site is focused on my stitching stuff.
I've got my craft blog (if you don't already have blog software, check out www.farook.org, this is quidscribis' hubby Fahim and I LOVE the software!) and photo galleries for my in-progress stitching projects. I'm looking for a better gallery program so I can put up my completed project galleries from the last couple years and get rid of my Webshots account.

I'm also going to someday create subdomains for regular family stuff, again with photo galleries being the likely focus. I'll probably create one for the teenager to share what she wants (within reason, of course) and another for the three of us together. The little one is too young, I think.

I have no interest in hosting a message board or a chatroom. I belong to enough other groups that have those functions available to feel a *need* to create my own.

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Domasai
Member # 8739

- posted      Profile for Domasai   Email Domasai         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd probably try to get Scott Jennings fired and help him reform the 'Lum the Mad' website. If I had one, that is. Sorry. You said if you had one already, which I don't. Nevermind then.

Still ... it would rule.

Posts: 43 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Load a gallery and use it to share pictures.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Here's some good advice.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mariann
Member # 8724

quote:
Originally posted by Art Vandelay:
Who are you going through for web hosting?

http://www.inet4b.com

My husband got a good deal on a website, though, because he's friends with the owner's son.

human_2.0
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for human_2.0   Email human_2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
I try to post only stuff that I've created and can be digitally shared, or information that can't be googled elsewhere.

I avoid anything too personal because, when I started hearing through the grape vine that complete strangers were reading about personal stuff I posted (for the benefit of friends), it gave me the creeps. So I don't put any journal type stuff online. Chances are, it may never disappear. http://www.archive.org

This is the oldest incarnation of my website still alive. I'm SO glad the earlier versions were not archived!

http://web.archive.org/web/19970723193019/www.cc.utah.edu/~jer29950/

Posts: 1209 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Goody Scrivener:
I've got my craft blog (if you don't already have blog software, check out www.farook.org, this is quidscribis' hubby Fahim and I LOVE the software!) and photo galleries for my in-progress stitching projects. I'm looking for a better gallery program so I can put up my completed project galleries from the last couple years and get rid of my Webshots account.

I second the wonderfulness of Blog, but I'm fully biased, having met and married the guy because of this program. [Big Grin]

Goody, I'm alno looking for a gallery program and haven't found anything that suits my requirements yet. Good luck!

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mariann
Member # 8724

Quidscribis- my husband and I met through Livejournal. [Big Grin]
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
For those looking for a gallery program: Movable Type is the cleanest and most customizable I've found yet.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
human_2.0
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for human_2.0   Email human_2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
Make sure you use Movable Type 3.2. Previous versions have vulerabilities.
Posts: 1209 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Goody, for photogallery software, I'm using Gallery2 as recommended by Dagonee. It fits my needs very well - and I'm highly demanding! I have around 1400 photos on my site, and it's not choking in any way. [Big Grin] You can see it in action .
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.