FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Have you ever...

Author Topic: Have you ever...
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
had a song you can't get out of your head?
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Treason
Member # 7587

- posted      Profile for Treason   Email Treason         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, now I do!
[Grumble]

Posts: 870 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
I love that song! [Razz]

If you've ever seen/heard the musical The Taffetas, there's an all-female 4-part harmony version of this song....I'd heard the TMBG version first, of course, so the Taffetas version was amusing in a somewhat odd way.

Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
Hm. TMBG. Tempting.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I've had that in my head since like May!
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Funny thing is, there used to be a radio show at night in Israel on Reshet Gimel that played old songs from like the 40s and 50s. One of them was the original of Istanbul (Not Constantinople). It's much slower. But it was the only one I'd heard, and I thought it was kind of cute.

Then one day, they played the TMBG version on the radio, and I almost jumped out of my skin. The tempo, and the high notes of "people just liked it better that way!" were just so cool.

I'd also fallen in love with the song "Bluebird in Your Soul" around the same time, but I had no idea that they were the same group.

My daughter loves "Triangle Man", which is vaguely disturbing, and "Toddler Hiway" has been making me think of her for years.

Lisa
--"I don't want the world; I just want your half."

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
It's funny, because the title of this thread made me think of a TMBG song.

But it was this one.

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avadaru
Member # 3026

- posted      Profile for Avadaru   Email Avadaru         Edit/Delete Post 
"In The Middle" is the worst for getting stuck in my head, I've found.
Posts: 1225 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shmuel
Member # 7586

- posted      Profile for Shmuel   Email Shmuel         Edit/Delete Post 
In my experience, "Dinner Bell" trumps them all.
Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you ever had the song "Have You Ever" stuck in your head?
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
Have you ever had the song "Have You Ever" stuck in your head?

The Brandy song? That was the first thing I thought of. [Frown]

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
(I've been fighting this for a day now, because almost no one here will get it. But I can't fight it any longer!)
quote:
Have you ever...
felt there's nowhere to turn? Things seem confused, no one's concerned. The time's we live in are oh, so dark . . .
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shmuel
Member # 7586

...a little faith, though, lights a spark...
Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

...Been Mellow?
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Shmuel:
...a little faith, though, lights a spark...

[Smile]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JaneX
Member # 2026

- posted      Profile for JaneX           Edit/Delete Post 
...clears our vision, eases pain. Hope arises again...hope arises again...

(God, I can't believe I still remember the words to that song. That was back in middle school, before I got all cynical about religion. [Razz] )

~Jane~

Posts: 2057 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Yeah the Brandy song. It's a nice R&B song.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lynx
Member # 8760

- posted      Profile for Lynx   Email Lynx         Edit/Delete Post 
I just saw TMBG... oh wow... when was it? Was it this year, I have no concept of time. Anyhow, I always get "Bangs" stuck in my head. I love that song.
Posts: 37 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Whatever happened to Brandy? She was so cute, and she seemed so wholesome.

"It's not hard to see - the boy is mine!"

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

She got a television show, which died because of poor ratings after a strong first season. And then she just faded away...
rivka
Member # 4859

Not exactly.
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh Dinner Bell is awesome. I especially love the part where they list all the things they don't want to eat, grouped alphabetically. TMBG is so great.

Does anyone else love The Statue Got Me High?

The statue made me fry
The statue made me fry
My coat contained a furnace where there used to be a guy.

[Smile] )))))))))

And as the screaming fire engine sirens filled the air,
The evidence had vanished from my charred and smoking chair.

TMBG is so wonderful!

Some more of my favorites of theirs are:
Mammal
Anna Ng
Don't Let's Start
I am Not Your Broom (a great housework song)
Women and Men
Dead
and the ever popular Birdhouse in your Soul

John Linnell is my hero.

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

- posted      Profile for J T Stryker   Email J T Stryker         Edit/Delete Post 
I've had "I got you Babe" by Sonny and Cher stuck in my head for 2 weeks now....
Posts: 1094 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avadaru
Member # 3026

- posted      Profile for Avadaru   Email Avadaru         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite TMBG song is "She's An Angel". At their concert I was lucky enough to be about 2 feet away from Jon Linnell and I sang the lyrics to all of the songs. He probably thought I was insane. I totally freaked out when they played "She's An Angel".
Posts: 1225 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
"Doctor Worm" is my favorite.

"My name is Doctor Worm
Good morning how are you I'm Doctor Worm
I'm interested in things
I'm not a real doctor but I am a real worm
I am an actual worm . . ."

What a fun song!

Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Well she DID fade away, she just had a very good reason for it. And I haven't heard anything about her in a couple years.

I am glad however that she has a new cd coming out, or just released, whichever. She has a good voice, and her songs usually aren't too poppy, to the point where they blend in with everyone else's.

Treason
Member # 7587

When I really want to drive my boyfriend crazy:

"This is the song that never ends,
it just goes on and on my friends.
Some people started singing it not knowing what it was
and they'll continue singing it forever just because
This is the song that never ends...."

and so on, and so on.

Posts: 870 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
"I Can't Get My Head Around You" by the Offspring

The above has been stuck in my head for close to two months now. And I really want it to leave.

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Domasai
Member # 8739

- posted      Profile for Domasai   Email Domasai         Edit/Delete Post 
First of all: Tante, that was evil.

Secondly, the song that gets stuck in my head easiest is Paul Simon's "Call Me Al". I went from thinking it was a fun, playful diddy to wishing the man death over it.

Posts: 43 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Treason
Member # 7587

"A man walks down the street and says
why am I short of attention now, got a short little span of attention..."

Something like that.
Now it's in my head. grrrr.

Especially the "na na na na, na na na na" part.
The video too! Chevy Chase, nooooooo!

Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
"Oh, well, I never, was there ever a cat so clever as magical Mr. Mistoffeles?"

The thread title suggests it. To me, anyway.

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lynx
Member # 8760

- posted      Profile for Lynx   Email Lynx         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Treason:
"A man walks down the street and says
why am I short of attention now, got a short little span of attention..."

Something like that.
Now it's in my head. grrrr.

Especially the "na na na na, na na na na" part.
The video too! Chevy Chase, nooooooo!

NO NO NO NO NO NO! You guys are evil, now it's stuck in my head too!!!
Posts: 37 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, folks, I didn't intend to be cruel.

Click here for the cure to whatever song is running through your head.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shmuel
Member # 7586

quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
Click here for the cure to whatever song is running through your head.

...if by "the cure" you mean "a song that will drive out whatever song is running through your head by taking up residence there itself." You are indeed cruel. Cruel, I say!

Tall and tan and young and lovely...

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

[Evil]
rivka
Member # 4859

I have to say, I don't understand you people. You actually click on her links? And not merely the first, but the second one too?

*shakes head in disbelief*

LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
For me, the only cure is to sit down and actually listen to the WHOLE song. I think that the stuckness is caused by one's brain trying to fill in the blanks between the snippets.
Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
We sang "Ipanema" in my high school vocal jazz group. Luckily, old choir songs are relatively easy to get out of my head. [Big Grin]
Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by LadyDove:
For me, the only cure is to sit down and actually listen to the WHOLE song. I think that the stuckness is caused by one's brain trying to fill in the blanks between the snippets.

Try this. Get an mp3 of whatever song is blitzing your brain and put on a pair of headphones. Now set the player to play that one song on repeat.

After about a dozen plays, turn on the TV. Any tune on any commercial will wipe the mp3 tune out of your brain, which is heartily sick of it by that time.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.