FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Firefly - "Objects in Space"

Author Topic: Firefly - "Objects in Space"
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty please, no Serenity spoilers--I haven't seen the movie yet--just watched the last Firefly episode tonight.

WHAT did Simon say/think when River walked into the room where he and Kaylee were flirting and River was reading everyone's thoughts? I rewound it a couple of times and couldn't catch it.

Oh, I'm so sad it's over . . . a movie won't do it for me, I want the TV series back!

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
"I would still be there."

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Ohhhh!!! Thanks. Now it makes sense.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
I just finished the last episode too, but the movie theater near me isn't playing Serenity anymore! I'm so mad, and I don't know what to do. I love this show so much, and I can't wait for the movie to come out on dvd. I don't understand why they cancelled the show, because it was absolutely incredible. I really wanted Kaylee and Simon to get together too. They would have been so cute together! Don't tell me anything about the movie, because I don't want to know ahead of time, but I just needed to vent.
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Why did you wait to see all the episodes before you saw the movie?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

Because I figured they should be seen in order. I figured things would all make more sense after seeing the show.
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry to hear that Evie.

That is why I told all my friends to watch the movie as soon as possible. Any nuances you might have missed out on in the movie is more than made up by the great emotional experience of watching Serenity with a room full of people. People cheered, laughed, gasped, and cried at all the right places.

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know, I think that Evie made the right move. Events in the movie will have so much more power for her now that she's seen the show. Evie, I have no idea how old you are, where you live, or what your transportation situation is, but would it be possible to road trip to the nearest place that is still screening Serenity?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
It's worth it.
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Which is worth it? Seeing it in the theater before seeing the show, or seeing the show before seeing it in the theater?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
It's also kind of liberating to watch it in an empty theater. We saw it again last night, and there we only two other people there.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Popular shows are still selling out at our nearest theater.

We must have a lot of Sci-fi geeks or something.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw it again last night (Serenity), with some repeat viewers and some that were first timers.

After it ended, myself and friend stayed through the credits, and only one other girl stayed, vocally lamenting her shock and grief over some of the events that had transpired.

Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
I wanted to stay till the end and hear the theme song, but it was a late showing, and the cleanup crew looked anxious for us to be out of there.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Because I figured they should be seen in order. I figured things would all make more sense after seeing the show.
I agree.

quote:
I don't know, I think that Evie made the right move. Events in the movie will have so much more power for her now that she's seen the show.
yep.

quote:
People cheered, laughed, gasped, and cried at all the right places.
When I go to a movie, I'm not affected by the crowd's response. It's kind of like church for me, that's not right because half the churches I've been to have been more about the audience than anything else(a fact that I approve of for complicated reasons). Going to a movie is closer to a museum.
Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Noemon, I mean that it's worth a road trip to see the movie while it's still in the theater... [Smile]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Ah! In that case, I agree wholeheartedly! [Smile]
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree too, about watching all of the show before seeing the movie.

Makes a lot more sense, and is a lot more powerful.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
etphonehome
Member # 999

- posted      Profile for etphonehome   Email etphonehome         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that you should see the show first. You could definitely go into the movie without having seen "Firefly" and still enjoy it immensely, but a lot of the subtle dialogue and inside jokes will go right over your head.
Posts: 45 | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

Well I'm glad so many people agree with my decision. The only problem now is that I can't find a theater within reasonable distance that still shows it. I'll keep trying though, because I hear it's just that good.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Hm. See, I saw the movie before finishing the show, and don't feel like I missed out at all.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

How far had you gotten in the show?
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I imagine it lessened the impact of Inara's decision at the end of Heart of Gold quite significantly.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Oliver Dale
Member # 8398

- posted      Profile for Oliver Dale   Email Oliver Dale         Edit/Delete Post 
This episode drove me CRAZY!

The Shepherd's thoughts when River read them... I mean.. who IS that guy???

Brilliant, wonderful stuff.

Posts: 92 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

quote:

Well, I imagine it lessened the impact of Inara's decision at the end of Heart of Gold quite significantly.

Naah, not really. I'd only seen the first two episodes by the time I saw the film, and my thought was, "Well, clearly Inara and Mal had a bit of a falling-out, and she left for what she felt was his own good." The movie makes that pretty clear, and really it's all you need to know.
Hamson
Member # 7808

- posted      Profile for Hamson   Email Hamson         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so sad the shows over [Frown] . I just watched the last episode last night. How could they cancell sucha thing!? But I wholeheartedly agree that I would much rather have a show back than 3 movies. Although, I haven't seen Serenity yet, the whole progression and stories through the show are wonderful, and I don't think there would be any way to cover that much development through 6 hours in 3 seperate movies. [Frown]
Posts: 879 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
Naah, not really. I'd only seen the first two episodes by the time I saw the film, and my thought was, "Well, clearly Inara and Mal had a bit of a falling-out, and she left for what she felt was his own good." The movie makes that pretty clear, and really it's all you need to know.
Right, but that wasn't what twinky was saying. He was saying that circumstances in the movie lessened the emotional impact of events in the show. You *know* that they had a falling out, so the shock of Inara's decision to leave is going to be pretty muted for you when you see Heart of Gold.

[Edit--was pretty muted. I misread what you'd written, and thought that you still hadn't finished the series.]

*I* was the one saying that not having seen the show first would lessen the impact of events in the movie, and I'll stand by that (although not discuss it in any kind of detail this thread, out of consideration for Evie.

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh Tom, that's exactly how I felt. I hadn't seen the pilot, but 4 episodes after that (I think Our Mrs Reynolds might have been the last one).

And I didn't feel like I was missing much in the movie, I know I knew more than some people did, and that's good enough for me.

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
When I go to a movie, I'm not affected by the crowd's response. It's kind of like church for me, that's not right because half the churches I've been to have been more about the audience than anything else(a fact that I approve of for complicated reasons). Going to a movie is closer to a museum.
I feel like that too for certain movies. [Smile]

I deliberately watched The Insider during a morning matinee so I can have the whole movie theater to myself. I liked having my own space to quietly soak in Russell Crowe's performance. I suspect I will do the same for Good Night and Good Luck.

But for certain movies I really enjoy them more when I watch them with a crowd of rowdy fans. Movies like Serenity, Lotr, and the original Star Wars are more of an event than just a mere movie.

I enjoy talking with the fans in line, listening to their excited chatter and feeding off their excitement. When the movie takes the entire audience for an emotional rollercoaster ride, I feel like I'm connected to each person in the theater through our collective gasps of wonder and sighs of relief.

The cinema is in a sense our oral history. Through it we learn the morals, rituals, and folklores of our society. Sure, this whole thing can be transmitted through television or an empty theater. But the sense of community is more emotionally concrete when the storytelling experience is shared in person.

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.