FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » "Antanaclasistic Anaphora"

Author Topic: "Antanaclasistic Anaphora"
Dante
Member # 1106

- posted      Profile for Dante           Edit/Delete Post 
Have you ever used a phrase which, as soon as you said or typed it, you knew meant that, for good or ill, you were now irrevocably a part of your field of study or profession?
Posts: 1068 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Help me out here.

I'm a nurse, and I totally love the jargon.

"He's brady at 52, check his 'lytes and run a dig"

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avadaru
Member # 3026

- posted      Profile for Avadaru   Email Avadaru         Edit/Delete Post 
Yesterday at work, this came out of my mouth: "Devin, will you please bring me a fork or something, I've got to dissect this dragon's poop."
Posts: 1225 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ser Bronn Stone
Member # 8759

- posted      Profile for Ser Bronn Stone   Email Ser Bronn Stone         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Avadaru: Yesterday at work, this came out of my mouth: "Devin, will you please bring me a fork or something, I've got to dissect this dragon's poop."
So this means that you are in Ravenclaw, because you are a scientist-type? [Razz]

Sorry, I am new here and trying to understand.

Posts: 38 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dante
Member # 1106

Thanks, guys. I was afraid I was going to have to turn this into one of those "deerpark" threads where I'm the only one who posts.

"Antanaclasis" is a rhetorical device in which the speaker repeats the same word or phrase but with a different meaning the second time.

"Anaphora" is repetition of a word or phrase at the beginning of successive sentences or lines of poetry.

Posts: 1068 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Gimme a f'rinstance.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
Gimme a f'rinstance.

And this would explain Tante's explosively high post count. [ROFL]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dante
Member # 1106

Well, f'rinstance...

I wrote that particular horrible phrase in an explication I was doing of a Petrarchan canzone in which the word ove ("where") is used three different times in a stanza but with a slightly different meaning each time.

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by quidscribis:
And this would explain Tante's explosively high post count.

Huh? I just couldn't sleep. So rather than bother my husband, I did some housecleaning and I bothered you all. Sorry to be such a bother.

<goes off to check post count for explosives>

Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Cut the red wire Tante. No, wait, the blue wire! No, the red!
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

<KABOOM!!!>

ouch.

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
My field is so filled with jargon and shorthand that it's almost incomprehensible.

And I'm not even a lawyer.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Like "flvaour-changing neutral current?" And I had occasion to say "Well, yes, but at those masses the phase space goes to zero" the other day.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
We should do a game where you say a bit of jargon, it has to be something real, and everyone tries to guess the field.

Mine's too easy. "Run the encoder into a counting card on the PLC to get high resolution roll placement control for strapping."

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I reversed the polarity of the deflector dish this morning.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
I rattled off the phrase "smoothed consumption curves" to my befuddled philosophy professor an hour ago.
Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I wrote a letter this morning that included the sentence, "Type NM cable is explicitly allowed in this application as per NEC 334.10(2)."

And that wasn't the worst sentence in the letter.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
Write now I am synchronizing my domain model with CVS in order to commit the new java beans and domainVO's I wrote. I ran an Ant script which uses ejbdoclet tags to generate the local and remote interfaces, along with the business delegates and deployment descriptors. Next I need to use WSAD to generate the websphere specific deploy code. After that I need to change the JSP pages and Struts actions to reflect the new changes.

Edit: The great thing about hatrack (or maybe the sad thing) is that there are at least a dozen people here who know exactly what I am talking about.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Your definition of anaphora is quite different from the one with which I am familiar. Generally, an anaphora is a phrase whose interpretation is dependent on a preceding phrase. For example:

[quote]Gimme a f'rinstance.

And this would explain Tante's explosively high post count. [quote]

In this case "And this" and "f'rinstance" are both anaphorisms because you have to know what was said in the previous sentence to have any idea what they mean.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
X: I read that and went, "where's the jargon?" [Wink] .

I honestly don't have an example I can bring to mind; partly I'm just so steeped in it, and partly my memory sucks [Wink] .

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog

I'm an elementary education major.

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dante
Member # 1106

Rabbit, I believe there is some such similar meaning in linguistics, but I'm in lit., so my use was the rhetorical meaning.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.