FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Breathing questions (just idle speculation, not emergency)

Author Topic: Breathing questions (just idle speculation, not emergency)
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
My husband likes to lie in bed and watch television and he likes me to lay my head on his chest so we can watch together.

The thing is, I don't like breathing his expelled air. Maybe it's psychological, but I can't help but feel I am getting more CO2 than oxygen, and it's stifling to breathe his stale air anyway.

So I tried timing my exhalations and inhalations to his, but he breathes 1 and a half times as fast as I do, so I'm always just 'off time'. Ridiculous. If I breathe as fast as he does, I get dizzy (besides, it's a lot of effort!).

Here are my questions:

1. Is it bad for me to be breathing his stale air? Am I just being silly?

2. Is there a way I can make him breathe slower? *grin*

3. Is it bad for him to be breathing faster than I? He's in better shape than I am (he's military, so doing physical stuff all of the time, including exercise in the morning), but maybe I'm just naturally a better breather. Give me something, here, the man is skinny and strong, I want *something* over him. Ha!

So those are my idle questions.

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
My (slighty educated) guesses:

1. Not ideal, but not harmful. A little.

2. No.

3. Not necessarily. He may breathe shallower (hence more frequently). It may have something to do with the 9 pound weight on his ribcage. If he's in otherwise good health it probably doesn't indicate anything.

If he's a smoker or something (or asthmatic) I might answer differently.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Good golly, you don't have enough to worry about without making up stuff?

Go ahead a breathe at the same time as your husband -- as long as you don't seal the room with plastic sheeting and duct tape, there is enough oxygen for everyone.

Don't make yourself nuts trying to synchronize your breathing. He might be breathing faster because you are leaning on his lungs. There is a normal range of respiratory rates -- breathe at a rate that is comfortable for you, for Pete's sake, and stop worrying.

Sheesh!

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not worried, really, just something I've been thinking about, as I said, idly. I have to do *something* while he watches wretched Nascar. Heh.

Plus, I wanted to be a 'better' breather. [Wink]

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate breathing stale air. Hate.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm, I don't think there is a way to put this that doesn't sound weird. I have known people--ok, guys--whose breath I didn't mind breathing in. I am tempted to think it has something to do with attraction, although I would not want to breath the breath of all the guys I've ever been attracted to. My point is, either you've got something against breathing in other people's breath in general, or there is just something about your husband's breath that is not attractive to you. Either way, you're not completely silly. And have you tried laying so that he's basically breathing on the back of your head? That might help.
Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't like breathing "second hand" air, either. I think because it's warmer and moister. I just adjust my head/the covers/ whatever's causing it so I get some fresh. [Smile]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
How very funny. Sometime when he is not looking, quietly time his breathing. How many breaths per minute? Do this while he is reading or watching TV. I don't have time to answer the questions now.
Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.